Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

pastel
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Olivença/Olivenza

Post by pastel »

Economist wrote:
pastel wrote:
Altough people in Olivença/Olivenza speak castellano, and pay spanish taxes, that territory is by international law portuguese :flag-pt: , Spain :flag-es: overtook it in the early 19th century when the french :flag-fr: invasions occured.
Here in Portugal we use to say: "Olivença é nossa!" (Olivenza is ours!)
That´s what I´ve wrote in the note I got in Olivença last sunday :roll:

Pastel
So you say Portugal and Spain do not obey to international law in that case? I am sure the territory is officially Spanish by now.

Anyway, nice joke but let's hope the note stays in the area so that whoever may enter it again will get what you say.
This issue was going a little bit off topic in the Statistics Topic..

@Economist: Yes, I´m saying that Portugal and Spain do not obey to international law in this case.
I´m talking about the Vienna Treaty (Vienna Congress) (here in French, Please see §105.), dated of June 1815, and also signed by Spain in May 1817.
Resuming, Spain recognize that Olivença is Portuguese and would return it.
We´ve been waiting for almost 200 years.... :roll:
Maybe when Spain discuss possession of Gibraltar with England, they have to discuss also the return of Olivença with us

Pastel
pastel.no.sapo.pt (Complete NIG Statistics updated 07/12/2007)
pastel no flickr!
Economist
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Economist »

Thanks for your reply. I never doubted your argument that there once was an article stating the return of the region to Portugal. What I doubted was whether these decisions are still valid today.

But you are right. You can even find a note in the CIA World Factbook.

Thanks!
bocky
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bocky »

There's also an article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivenza
MacLord
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Re: Olivença/Olivenza

Post by MacLord »

pastel wrote: So you say Portugal and Spain do not obey to international law in that case? I am sure the territory is officially Spanish by now.

Anyway, nice joke but let's hope the note stays in the area so that whoever may enter it again will get what you say.

This issue was going a little bit off topic in the Statistics Topic..

@Economist: Yes, I´m saying that Portugal and Spain do not obey to international law in this case.
I´m talking about the Vienna Treaty (Vienna Congress) (here in French, Please see §105.), dated of June 1815, and also signed by Spain in May 1817.
Resuming, Spain recognize that Olivença is Portuguese and would return it.
We´ve been waiting for almost 200 years.... :roll:
Maybe when Spain discuss possession of Gibraltar with England, they have to discuss also the return of Olivença with us

Pastel
That is right, On Salazar period the problem was never solve, and is in standby. Hope ome day politics can find a solution for the problem, but with respect of the Olivença's population and the natural-historic rights.
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

I don't care that much about border disputes. I'd rather like to see a referendum, in this case, let the people decide if they're Spanish or Portugese.
But then again, the Belgian-Dutch border is only decided in the nineties of last century, Baarle-Hertog (www.baarle-hertog.be) is a B enclave in the NL, and it forms one community with the Dutch Baarle-Nassau. Some houses became Dutch, others Belgian, most remained what they were. But the border there is more folklore...
FANTAS
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by FANTAS »

Economist wrote:What I doubted was whether these decisions are still valid today.

Thanks!

What about the return oh Hong-Kong and Macau to China? That was based in pretty old agreements...
My blog Antestreia
My website SciFiWorld
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

FANTAS wrote:
Economist wrote:What I doubted was whether these decisions are still valid today.

Thanks!

What about the return oh Hong-Kong and Macau to China? That was based in pretty old agreements...
Actually, not entirely. They "hired" the New Territories, because Hongkong was estimated to small to exist apart, this lease ended in 1997, and because China refused to prolong the lease, they returned the NT, together with Hong Kong itself...
For Macau, I don't know the story so well...

Return to “Europe-Board”