no
15%

Total votes: 27

hjkmans
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Montenegrin referendum May 21rst

Post by hjkmans »

MONTENEGRIN PRIME MINISTER URGES VOTE FOR INDEPENDENCE...

Saying that Podgorica should no longer be forced to suffer for Serbia's actions, Montenegrin Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic on May 15 urged voters to back independence, dpa reported the same day. "Montenegro is the hostage of Serbia," Djukanovic said in an interview with dpa. He added that Podgorica is being forced to bear "the consequences for things that we had nothing to do with," an apparent reference to the EU decision to cut off talks with Serbia and Montenegro over Belgrade's failure to apprehend Mladic. "That's why we have to take full responsibility for our European future into our own hands," he said. Montenegrins will vote in a referendum on independence on May 21. Source: RadioFreeEurope/Radio Liberty

Thank you for moving it to the right board
Last edited by hjkmans on Tue May 16, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Sounds like they'd like to join the EU :)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

Serbia wants to join as well :wink:
I don't know if independance would be such a great thing. But sure enough, if they have a democratic majority, they will be independant...
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

Montenegrins and Serbs are very close to one another (etnically speaking). There must be some economical opportunism in their decision and maybe some political strategy ; but, still I voted in favour of independence as they have developped in the recent years a policy into that strategy.
yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli »

I think they will vote for independency, but I it will not be a big majority. Although their is great common history between Montenegro and Serbia, their are going a bit their own way. f.e. Montenegro uses the euro, while Serbia got their own dinar.
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

yli wrote:I think they will vote for independency, but I it will not be a big majority.
And that is precisely the problem here. According to the election "rules" that Serbia, Montenegro and the EU agreed upon, there are two important quota that have to be met:

* 50 percent or more of those who have voting rights need to vote.
* 55 percent or more of those who participate need to vote for Montenegro's independence.

If the turnout is less than 50%, and/or less than 55% vote for Montenegro's independence, the federation will be continued. The reasoning behind the two hurdles was that a possible independence should be supported by a stable majority. Problem is, if more than 50 but less than 55 percent vote for the independence, will both camps simply accept the outcome?

Christian
yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli »

Probably not :cry:
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:
Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Poutsi »

So, the vote is over and Montenegro will become an independent country:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5003220.stm

I was wondering if it will accept euro as their only official currency. They currently use euros (and D-Marks before the euro). CIA World Factbook says:

"Currency: new Yugoslav dinar (YUM); note - in Montenegro the euro is legal tender; in Kosovo both the euro and the Yugoslav dinar are legal"

Any news or info about this?
Aina ei voi voittaa :/
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

yes, one euro coin set more in the future! :lol:
Poutsi wrote:I was wondering if it will accept euro as their only official currency. They currently use euros
they first have to get an own currency for the next few years. They only use the euro as foreign currency but they are not part of the euro economy space.
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

Well, I am always pleased to see nations finally get their independence.

It's a new start for Montenegro, and I believe they were lucky to get 55.3% in favour of independence.

EU, by asking for a 55% majority has made a stupid move : let's imagine the outcome would have been 54.8 % ? What would have been the conclusions : no you can not separate whilst a vast majority wants separation ?

In this type of referendum a 50% majority is already a bit step ; indeed, the NO-vote always benefit of all fears that anti-indepence protagonists vehiculate : "What will happen when the country will become independent : we will lose everything".

This remembers me of the last referendum for the independence of Québec : the result came out : 49.8% in favour of independence : this result has somehow jeopardized the future of Québec : not enough to be independent ; but still enough to tell the rest of Canada that they do not care anymore to be part of that country...

That was some philisophy for you...
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Phaseolus wrote:EU, by asking for a 55% majority has made a stupid move : let's imagine the outcome would have been 54.8 % ? What would have been the conclusions : no you can not separate whilst a vast majority wants separation ?
The "conclusion" would have been a continuation of the current federation. Probably with even more autonomy than the two parts of the federation have had so far.

The two "hurdles" (50+ percent turnout, 55+ percent Yes votes) were supposed to guarantee at least some stability. Had only, say 50.1 percent voted Yes, the opposition would have talked about electoral fraud, and/or that votes were "bought" by MP Djukanovic's party. Legitimate concerns considering the activities Djukanovic was apparently involved in just a few years ago.

Christian
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

Very much Montenegrins consider themselves Serbians, with a history that is partly different (they were an independant kingdom for some decades in the fin de siècle period). The main reason to vote for independance, was an economical.
This is not the outcome of a sociological study, just what I learned by talking with some Montenegrins in Belgium, so do be careful with my analysis. :wink:
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

groentje wrote:This is not the outcome of a sociological study, just what I learned by talking with some Montenegrins in Belgium, so do be careful with my analysis. :wink:
Wel groentje, you are not the only one to have montenegrin friends... These are quite social people, you know :wink: !

I used to be part of the happy few that were welcome to enter the Yougoslavian embassy in Brussels under the embargo and I know quite about the stories in this country : Arkhan, Milosevic, etc...

Mafia is a fact in this part of Europe ; it is not only linked to the small Crne Gore (Montenegro in their own language)...

For me the independence of Crno Gore means the failure of International community policy that do not seem to realise that we people have decided to go for independence (for good or wrong reasons, whatever...) there is no good way of trying to convince to stay together... I am looking forward to further evolution of the Kosovo region and the further dismantle of the Bosnia-Herzegovina that is again a non-viable structure...

But, this topic should now be moved to a section of the forum called "Europe Board"
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

Montenegro is missing in the list of countries... :wink:
Trois hits en 8 ans. Tous en Finlande. (!)

Return to “Europe-Board”