A group of countries with a common currency
30%

Total votes: 44

pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

The new EU

Post by pinguino79 »

Hi! I'm curious to know your opinions and ideas about the topic, which is, IMHO, very interesting.
My preference goes to Federalistic :)
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

The new EU

Post by Olivier »

pinguino79 wrote: Hi! I'm curious to know your opinions and ideas about the topic, which is, IMHO, very interesting.
My preference goes to Federalistic :)
I agree with you.
We have to share our strength for subjects such as environnement, food policy, immigration, taxes, equality, human rights, foreign policy... but keep our own cultures which are our roots and identity.

I'd like more democracy in the EU. When will we elect a president or a prime minister?

Do you think Brussels will be the federal capital of Europe?

Olivier
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

The new EU

Post by pinguino79 »

Olivier wrote: I agree with you.
We have to share our strength for subjects such as environnement, food policy, immigration, taxes, equality, human rights, foreign policy... but keep our own cultures which are our roots and identity.

I'd like more democracy in the EU. When will we elect a president or a prime minister?

Do you think Brussels will be the federal capital of Europe?
I was almost sure you'd have been the first one to comment :)
So, this is my opinion: everyone agrees that EU is NOT democratic; the Parliament, elected, has very few powers, which are instead in the hands of few "eurocrats". The euro is just the first step, then there will be all the things you already listed (but I'd add also a common army).
BTW, the low democracy wasn't a real problem, 'cause crucial decisions were taken by the national governements. I don't know when we'll elect a president or a prime minister, this depends on the convention; Brussels will be the federal capital, but only because it's the seat of the Parliament.
You said the best thing: each country has to keep its own culture and identity, though partecipating to european integration: the real richness of Europe is not the euro, it's the cultural differences which MUST be preserved.
A misc note about this: the idea of common and national sides in coins is great, and making them legal in all ?-zone sounds like sharing our identities with the other countries (and, of course, we can collect coins :wink: )
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

The new EU

Post by Olivier »

pinguino79 wrote:
I was almost sure you'd have been the first one to comment :)
:wink:
You start to know me well...
pinguino79 wrote: I don't know when we'll elect a president or a prime minister, this depends on the convention;
When will the Convention propose its project of Constitution?
I hope it wil be before the enlargement...
pinguino79 wrote: You said the best thing: each country has to keep its own culture and identity, though partecipating to european integration: the real richness of Europe is not the euro, it's the cultural differences which MUST be preserved.
Yes! I agree with you!

O.
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

The new EU

Post by pinguino79 »

Olivier wrote: When will the Convention propose its project of Constitution?
I hope it wil be before the enlargement...
According to the official news, there are no fixed dates, but last term is late 2004.
I think there's no problem with enlargement, 'cause in the convention there are also the candidate countries; but I read just this morning on an italian newsmagazine that there are good chances that in _this_ year some countries will join EU.
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

The new EU

Post by Olivier »

pinguino79 wrote: I read just this morning on an italian newsmagazine that there are good chances that in _this_ year some countries will join EU.
You mean that some countries could join on january 1st 2003?

There must be a referendum in each candidate country, I guess... and before the Parlement of Strasbourg has to close the negociations... ?

I think they might join in 2004, just before the general elections of june 2004 for the euro-parlement. ?

O.
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Olympics Games of 2004

Post by Olivier »

pinguino79 wrote: My preference goes to Federalistic :)
Do you think our champions will participate united under the euro banner, for the Olympics of Athens 2004? :o)

O.
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

The new EU

Post by pinguino79 »

Olivier wrote: You mean that some countries could join on january 1st 2003?

There must be a referendum in each candidate country, I guess... and before the Parlement of Strasbourg has to close the negociations... ?

I think they might join in 2004, just before the general elections of june 2004 for the euro-parlement. ?
This is my opinion, too, but I was just reporting what I read (and I can't be sure if the source is trusty :P ).
But it seems to me there's too much hurry; this year the common currency, now the convention together with the enlargement... too much things at the same time.
BTW: are we the only ones interested in the topic? I expected more people to reply :(
And I hope you joined the ECC usergroup :)
smh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by smh »

Do you think our champions will participate united under the euro banner, for the Olympics of Athens 2004? )
Not if that means we can only send 3 competitors in each field ;-)
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

The new EU

Post by Olivier »

pinguino79 wrote: But it seems to me there's too much hurry; this year the common currency, now the convention together with the enlargement... too much things at the same time.
It's not really in the hurry! Euro has been existing for 3 years. The decision has bee made in 1993 !
Now the economical Europe is almost made. It's now the turn of a political union.

The French were in favor of Euro, Germany less. Germany is leading for a federal Europe, France less... but the opinions change and french seam to be federalist (forums on the net), at least to get more democracy.

The enlargement has begun in the 1995's. 2004... it's been for 10 years.
pinguino79 wrote: BTW: are we the only ones interested in the topic? I expected more people to reply :(
I think so, for the moment. :?
pinguino79 wrote: And I hope you joined the ECC usergroup :)
Yes! I joined this morning !

Olivier
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Olympics

Post by Olivier »

smh wrote:
Do you think our champions will participate united under the euro banner, for the Olympics of Athens 2004? )
Not if that means we can only send 3 competitors in each field ;-)
How? what are the rules, for the competitors?
The american and russian delegations are always very important...

Olivier
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

The new EU

Post by pinguino79 »

Olivier wrote: It's not really in the hurry! Euro has been existing for 3 years. The decision has bee made in 1993 !
Now the economical Europe is almost made. It's now the turn of a political union.
Sure! And to be more precise, the first ideas for a common currency were expressed in 1988! The funny thing is that at the time it seemed to be a vision, and now the convention is working on a constitution!
The French were in favor of Euro, Germany less. Germany is leading for a federal Europe, France less... but the opinions change and french seam to be federalist (forums on the net), at least to get more democracy.
I think all countries prefere a federalistic union; the main discussions will be about which power should be moved to EU and which should remain to national governements.
MoneyHog

Post by MoneyHog »

Hi! I'm curious to know your opinions and ideas about the topic, which is, IMHO, very interesting.
My preference goes to Federalistic
No, I couldn't agree with that, at least not in the short term. Maybe in 40 or 50 years, but not now.

Certainly there is room for greater cooperation (foriegn policy, international law, etc.) but there are some areas that should not be touched (eg tax). Tax harmonisation is bad. The arguments put forward by those who favour tax harmonisation are fallacious. It won't encourage a "race to the bottom" - corporate tax rates lowered to "steal" inward investment from European partners. There is no evidence for this and plenty against. Those countries that wish to keep taxes high to fund a strong social welfare system are welcome to do. But don't try and force it down the throats of countries who have decided that that way lies stagnation.

I remember reading a report in the Economist - I think, sorry, no cite - which even suggested that tax competition was a way of levelling the playing field. For countries such as Ireland which are in a non-central location it was the only way of reclaiming the advantage that countries such as the Netherlands, France etc. have. That of a central location.

But in principle I am all for a coherent and strong EU. In fact, I would say that I usually consider myself more "European" than "Irish". Though I am put to shame by the multilinguists who post here. :)

Simon
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by pinguino79 »

MoneyHog wrote: Certainly there is room for greater cooperation (foriegn policy, international law, etc.) but there are some areas that should not be touched (eg tax).
Thanks for the post :)
I think too that a common foreign policy is essential; then there could be a stronger cooperation on other less critic areas, but things like school system and, yes, taxes, should remain to the national governements.
One thing: I wrote federalistic meaning this (see also my previous posts on the topic), but maybe the word is wrong; perhaps confederation woul've been better. So, now, I'm getting back to my English books :P
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

The new EU

Post by Olivier »

pinguino79 wrote:I think all countries prefere a federalistic union; the main discussions will be about which power should be moved to EU and which should remain to national governements.
On your opinion, which powers should remain national and which one should become federal?

Return to “Europe-Board”