Do you call the fries...

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

How do you call the fries?

French fries?
16
41%
Fries (after all, it has been creatd in Belgium!)
19
49%
Liberty fries, Equality fries, Fraternity fries or Freedom fries?
2
5%
I don't eat fries. I don't want to be fat...
2
5%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Do you call the fries...

Post by Olivier »

About the (ridiculous) debate about the fries, in the USA (where some pro war want to rename fhe french fries "freedom fries")... what is your opinion?

I call my fries "frites"... for me, they come from Belgium. :-)
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

Ofcourse they come from Belgium !!!

Fries, frieten, des frites, as long there is no 'french' or 'freedom' in front of it. :)
(oh, and don't even mention 'patat' :p)
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
HNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:11 am
Location: The Netherlands

Post by HNL »

I miss the option "patat", that's the most regular word in the Netherlands. We don't use "friet" (at least above the line The Hague - Arnhem :wink: )
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

Tiger wrote:Ofcourse they come from Belgium !!!

Fries, frieten, des frites, as long there is no 'french' or 'freedom' in front of it. :)
(oh, and don't even mention 'patat' :p)
In Spain, they say Patatas fritas! :lol:
User avatar
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by emmem »

Sometimes we call them "Frietjes van de frituur" :?
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

in correct Dutch (but more used in Belgium) it's 'frieten' but in almost every fries-shop they write 'fritten' (the way it's pronounced)

In the Netherlands, they say 'patat' which is the abbreviation of 'patates frites' (at least according to Van Dale dictionary)
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

I would call them the way they are called in the country where I want to order them.

In Germany they're called "Pommes Frites" (and pronounced "pomm fritts"), and since my youth I frequently wonder if this pronunciation is correct French. Shouldn't the 's' in 'frites' be silent? Can anyone solve this riddle for me?
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

micro wrote:I would call them the way they are called in the country where I want to order them.

In Germany they're called "Pommes Frites" (and pronounced "pomm fritts"), and since my youth I frequently wonder if this pronunciation is correct French. Shouldn't the 's' in 'frites' be silent? Can anyone solve this riddle for me?
You don't pronounce the last S of frites :-)
"FriT" is good :-)
K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu May 09, 2002 1:16 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post by K3lvin »

Ranskanperunat = French potatoes, or just shorter 'ranskikset' = the french (note: there is is a diffirent word for French people/language, so the word 'ranskikset' cannot be used to describe them).

And that Freedom Fries thing is very childish, I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it. Wasn't it some congressman/senator from the US who made it up?
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

K3lvin wrote:Ranskanperunat = French potatoes, or just shorter 'ranskikset' = the french (note: there is is a diffirent word for French people/language, so the word 'ranskikset' cannot be used to describe them).
In my dictionary they say 'ranskalaiset perunat'.
What's the difference with 'ranskanperunat' ?
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:35 pm

Post by Gauss »

You should have added the option "Other name" to your poll. The objects in question are "Pommes frites" (say: pommfritt), slang: Fritten.
Last edited by Gauss on Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu May 09, 2002 1:16 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post by K3lvin »

Tiger wrote: In my dictionary they say 'ranskalaiset perunat'.
What's the difference with 'ranskanperunat' ?
There's no really big diffirence, both are used. 'Ranskalaiset perunat' might be more formal, but usually in spoken language, only 'ranskikset' or 'ranskalaiset' are used.
Last edited by K3lvin on Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

I'm french why call em French fries? :wink:
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu May 09, 2002 1:16 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post by K3lvin »

eurobillsandcoins wrote:I'm french why call em French fries? :wink:
Heh :) So do people generally call them French fries or just fries in France? Or Belgian Fries? :P

EDIT: oh, wait I know already. Pommes frites. What 'pommes' means? Potato?
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

K3lvin wrote:
eurobillsandcoins wrote:I'm french why call em French fries? :wink:
Heh :) So do people generally call them French fries or just fries in France? Or Belgian Fries? :P

EDIT: oh, wait I know already. Pommes frites. What 'pommes' means? Potato?
No, no... In France, we say "frites". That's all. Before coming in America, I didn't know the fries had a nationality...

I suggest that we now call the fries... "Eurofries"! :lol:
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”