University fees

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

User avatar
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:05 am
Location: Loulé/Lisboa

University fees

Post by BogPoet »

The Portuguese government announced recently that public university fees are going to be rising. The fees are currently +/- €350 per school year. Their proposal is now €77/month, which would almost double current scholarship expenses. One of the arguments for this is that "we must comply with EU standards", which, from my point of view, means paying like most Europeans, while earning half of what they get (€350 is also the value of our national minimum wage).

So, I was just curious: how much do people pay in other EU countries to attend public universities?
How do your countries figure out how much university students must pay to attend the univs? (In Portugal, it's indexed to the national minimum wage).
wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 12:23 pm
Location: Meppel, Drenthe, NL

Post by wouter »

In the netherlands the yearly fee is about 1800-2000 €. I don't know exactly how it is made up. But i think it is based on the inflation.
The Force is like Duck-tape, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.
User avatar
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:35 pm

Post by Gauss »

There are basically no fees in Germany. However, depending heavily on the Bundesland and the city you are studying in, you have to pay between 30€ and 150€ (?) per semester for
- mandatory membership in the student union (if applicable)
- student ticket for public transportation (if applicable)
- fees for administration or specific examinations (if applicable)
- free use of certain sports facilities (if applicable)
- ...

There is an ongoing discussion about introducing tuition fees.
K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu May 09, 2002 1:16 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post by K3lvin »

Nothing in Finland.
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

I France, I remember it costed about 300 € for the year, with the social insurance.

I don't know for Canada.
User avatar
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by emmem »

In Belgium it seems to be somewhere between 488 and 719 Euro
Last track:.31-07-2007.:
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

Here in Hamburg I had to pay €150 every 6 months. Included was a metro and bus ticket which ate up most of the sum. The rest was for the student organization. Actual fee was zero.
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by avij »

K3lvin wrote:Nothing in Finland.
Bzzzt, incorrect. Although it's not the university itself that wants the money, it's mandatory to pay the student union's membership fee (HYY, 30 EUR per year) and the Finnish Student Health Service (YTHS, 31.62 EUR per year). For the 30 EUR/year we get cheaper food from the university's lunch restaurants (Unicafe) and some student union's newspapers delivered home, among other things. YTHS lets students use the health services for ridiculously cheap fees -- how about 6 EUR for a visit to a dentist?

This was a Helsinki-oriented post, other universities may have a bit different rates, but the principles are still the same.
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

Anyone here need a loan? Id be happy to finance you. :wink:
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

In Canada its sooooooooooo expensive(even for Canadians) I had a emplayee who sent her child to the University in Toronto. Cost $18000 a year. I'm not sure how you calculate your fees. But all inclusively, its $18000 CAD (approx €11.500). :? Explain how you calculate please
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

eurobillsandcoins wrote:In Canada its sooooooooooo expensive(even for Canadians) I had a emplayee who sent her child to the University in Toronto. Cost $18000 a year. I'm not sure how you calculate your fees. But all inclusively, its $18000 CAD (approx €11.500). :? Explain how you calculate please
It's simple... It costs less in Europe than in North America!
User avatar
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:05 am
Location: Loulé/Lisboa

Post by BogPoet »

eurobillsandcoins wrote:Anyone here need a loan? Id be happy to finance you. :wink:
Maybe I will, after the new fees are implemented. :? It's terrible for me, since my father is basically earning me my univ expenses, and I'm not really an A-level student, which means I'll probably be here for years to come...
We also have some benefits, such as complete meals for €1,75 and... well, i guess it's about it, if you don't have a scolarship. Some people have government scholarships. Unfortunately, these are given by appreciating IRS statements and it's soooooo easy to fool the IRS around here. Which, in extremes cases, means seeing the offspring of extremely wealthy people (doctors, lawyers, etc.) getting really high scolarships while others (like me) just stare...

I'm sorry for putting you all up with my bitterness, but I feel so revolted with this.
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

BogPoet wrote:
eurobillsandcoins wrote:Anyone here need a loan? Id be happy to finance you. :wink:
Maybe I will, after the new fees are implemented. :? It's terrible for me, since my father is basically earning me my univ expenses, and I'm not really an A-level student, which means I'll probably be here for years to come...
We also have some benefits, such as complete meals for €1,75 and... well, i guess it's about it, if you don't have a scolarship. Some people have government scholarships. Unfortunately, these are given by appreciating IRS statements and it's soooooo easy to fool the IRS around here. Which, in extremes cases, means seeing the offspring of extremely wealthy people (doctors, lawyers, etc.) getting really high scolarships while others (like me) just stare...

I'm sorry for putting you all up with my bitterness, but I feel so revolted with this.
WHAT IS THIS SUPPOSED TO MEAN?????????????
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:05 am
Location: Loulé/Lisboa

Post by BogPoet »

huh... what is what supposed to mean?
K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu May 09, 2002 1:16 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post by K3lvin »

avij wrote:
K3lvin wrote:Nothing in Finland.
Bzzzt, incorrect. Although it's not the university itself that wants the money, it's mandatory to pay the student union's membership fee (HYY, 30 EUR per year) and the Finnish Student Health Service (YTHS, 31.62 EUR per year). For the 30 EUR/year we get cheaper food from the university's lunch restaurants (Unicafe) and some student union's newspapers delivered home, among other things. YTHS lets students use the health services for ridiculously cheap fees -- how about 6 EUR for a visit to a dentist?

This was a Helsinki-oriented post, other universities may have a bit different rates, but the principles are still the same.
Whoops, I'm studying in Ammattikorkeakoulu (polytechnic in English?) and it's not mandatory for us to join the student union. (we still get cheap food, we have these Kela's (Social insurance institution of Finland) meal subsidy cards (which work also in Unicafe, btw). I thought it's the same for universities also.
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”