Icon for EBT (VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE ICON NOW)

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus

User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6193
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Icon for EBT (VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE ICON NOW)

Post by avij »

Update: The voting has begun, see the voting topic for a description of the candidates and to vote on your favourite.

---

Looks like we have some artists in here, as evidenced by this thread (no, it has not been forgotten, I'll just let Philippe to do the decisions). I thought I'd tap into this potential and ask you to create an icon for EBT.

As quite a lot of you are aware, web browsers request a file called favicon.ico automatically whenever the browser needs an icon for a site, typically for bookmarks. MSIE was the first to do this and others soon followed (and did it a bit better, IMHO).

Some technical data about the icons: The .ico files can contain several images, each with different sizes and colour depths. I'm most interested in images sized 16x16 and 32x32. The former is used in the address bar in MSIE and bookmark icons, the latter is used when the icon is dragged onto desktop. A good colour depth would be 16 colours as it's the most widely supported colour depth -- some browsers refuse to handle 256 colour icons, for example. The browser will select the appropriately sized image from the .ico file depending on the situation. The background can be made transparent.

I can convert the image into .ico files, so you don't need to worry about it, just create suggestions for the images (at 32x32 pixels) and post them here and I'll take care of the rest. Thanks :)
Last edited by avij on Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.
User avatar
kettenseger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:49 pm
Location: 41334 Nettetal, Germany
Contact:

Post by kettenseger »

something like that??

perhaps somebody with a better graphic program should try it again.
the colors could be the colors from 5 euro, 10 euro and 20 euro bills.
wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 12:23 pm
Location: Meppel, Drenthe, NL

Post by wouter »

Ive made a very simple one in paint. I think the euro sign should be in the logo. This one is still o high i think

Image
The Force is like Duck-tape, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.
Eurofan
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:29 pm

Post by Eurofan »

I like to keep it simple, thus my suggestions are:

32x32: Image
16x16: Image
wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 12:23 pm
Location: Meppel, Drenthe, NL

Post by wouter »

Welcome to this Forum eurofan!, your suggestions are nice, simple but effective :P .
The Force is like Duck-tape, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.
User avatar
Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:37 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Post by Poutsi »

Eurofan wrote:I like to keep it simple, thus my suggestions are:

32x32: Image
16x16: Image
That one looks great.
Aina ei voi voittaa :/
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6193
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by avij »

(edit: the deadline has been extended, see the latest messages)

Any other entries? C'mon, show us your hidden talents :wink:

Here's how it's going to be: You have about 24 more hours to submit your images. After this there will be a poll which ultimately selects the winner (although Philippe has the right to veto). If there are more than 10 submissions, the Grand Jury (=me) reserves the right to select the best 10 entries for the voting. The voting will start on Friday and end on Sunday, so by Monday morning there will be a brand-new favicon.ico file installed on the site.
Last edited by avij on Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6193
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by avij »

(Edited to remove the listing of submitted images)

The list of candidates will be published when the submission period ends, see my next message.
Last edited by avij on Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

avij wrote:You have about 24 more hours to submit your images.
Only 27 hours from the moment you wrote you want an icon until you started a poll. I wonder why you are in such a hurry :( . I also wanted to create an icon. But as most people I have some other things to do besides creating icons.
User avatar
nodisch18
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:25 pm
Location: Sint-Oedenrode
Contact:

Post by nodisch18 »

micro wrote:Only 27 hours from the moment you wrote you want an icon until you started a poll.

I agree, i haven't not voted yet....

I think people should get some extra time...
"The world is like a book, those
who don't travel only read the first page
"
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6193
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by avij »

(edit: the deadline has been extended even further, see the latest messages)
nodisch18 wrote:I think people should get some extra time...
Your wish has been granted. The poll will start Thursday next week at 22:00 Finnish time and the poll will run for three days, ie. the voting can happen on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. All the previous votes have been cleared. The image submission deadline has also been pushed to that same time, so you have Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and most of Thursday to draw those icons.

Sorry, I didn't want to keep anyone out or anything like that. But as the saying goes, time is money :wink: Perhaps I'm just a bit impatient at times.. Also, I can't access computers and EBT between 9.6. and 15.6. and I wanted to take care of this icon thing before that week, the next week is also quite busy at work.
Last edited by avij on Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
nodisch18
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:25 pm
Location: Sint-Oedenrode
Contact:

Post by nodisch18 »

avij wrote: Sorry, I didn't want to keep anyone out or anything like that.

Doesn't matter! I hope there will be some real nicer creations!! I'm very curious! 8O
"The world is like a book, those
who don't travel only read the first page
"
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

Until now I have created two icons, the first one I will have to explain, for the second one I will let you figure out what it is. After some feedback of you I could go on improving (one of) them. Please let me know what you think.

NUMBER 1: Image This one is EBT in the style of the "BCE ECB EZB EKT EKP" imprint on the banknotes as it is familiar, as in these images:

Image Image


NUMBER 2: Image Does anyone of you have a clue what this is intended to be? Dou you think this is easily recognizable?
User avatar
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:02 pm
Location: Geilenkirchen

Post by Donald »

micro wrote:Does anyone of you have a clue what this is intended to be? Dou you think this is easily recognizable?
Guess #1: You are an outdoor fanatic and wear Jack Wolfskin equipment
Guess #2: You have been wearing these "Tigerboy" shoes that were available in the early 70s
Guess #3: You want to create the image of the "European Tigers" like we presently call the upcoming Asian countries like Malaysia or Singapore "Asian Tigers"
Guess #4: You want to display the track of the Euro
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:53 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by EuroBillTracker »

micro wrote: NUMBER 2: Image Does anyone of you have a clue what this is intended to be? Dou you think this is easily recognizable?
I LOVE this one !!! Can you believe I thought of something like that a couple months ago... did I mention it then or are we just on the same wave length ???
I love the idea of combining euro & tracks (as in "Animal tracks"). I also think it's really slick...

I think it's great to see community interest in making the site more attractive (and Avij, feel free to make changes to the source & the site when you have the inspiration and time. This also includes texts in the FAQ which have not yet been updated !!). Thanks to every contributor !

Let's see these poll results :)
Post Reply

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”