Summer holiday in Finland

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

User avatar
Van Geel
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Gent, Flanders (BE)
Contact:

Re: Summer holiday in Finland

Post by Van Geel »

Ralf wrote:I am going next summer to Finland for (around) 2 weeks.
I want to drive trought Finland and stay every day in an other city.
Maybe you can help me with finding the best way to see Finland?

The route I was thinking about is:
Helsinki => Lahti => Lappeenranta => Joensuu => Kuopio => Jyvaskyla => Tampere => pori => Turku => Helsinki

Allready thanks for your help!
This summer I will be in (the northern part of) Finland as well! I'm travelling to Norway but I'm planning to see some places in Finland too! My trip starts in Oslo where I will take the plain to Kirkenes, then it goes over Grense Jakobselv and Nyrud (near the Russian border), then we enter Finland in a vilage called Naatamo Njavdan (I hope I spelled it right!) in the high north of Finland and then we go south to Haapalehto. Then we go to the west leaving Finland in Karigasniemi Garegasnjarga... After that we stay in Norway where I will visit following cities: Karasjok, Lakselv, Honningsvåg on the Magerøya where I will visit the most Northern place of Europe (Nordkapp), Hammerfest (the most northern city in the world), Alta and finally Tromsø (The biggest city of the north). From there I take the plain back to Oslo and then home.
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

The place's name isn't Näätämö Njavdan, but Näätämö or Njavdan, depending on whether you want to say the town's name in Finnish or Samí.

It's the same with Karigasniemi / Garegasnjarga. The first one's Finnish and the second one's Samí.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
Van Geel
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Gent, Flanders (BE)
Contact:

Post by Van Geel »

Dakkus wrote:The place's name isn't Näätämö Njavdan, but Näätämö or Njavdan, depending on whether you want to say the town's name in Finnish or Samí.

It's the same with Karigasniemi / Garegasnjarga. The first one's Finnish and the second one's Samí.
Thanks, Dakkus! I learned something new again.
User avatar
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

Re: Summer holiday in Finland

Post by airis »

Van Geel wrote: then we enter Finland in a vilage called Naatamo Njavdan (I hope I spelled it right!) in the high north of Finland and then we go south to Haapalehto. Then we go to the west leaving Finland in Karigasniemi Garegasnjarga... After that we stay in Norway
I see your route in Finland is Näätämö - Sevettijärvi - Kaamanen - Karigasniemi In Näätämö, Kaamanen and Karigasniemi there are shops and cafés.

One suggestion: Village of Inariis only 27 km south of Kaamanen. There you could visit Siida, which is the home of the Sámi Museum and the Northern Lapland Nature Centre. A nice place to learn about the Sami culture, history and also local nature.
User avatar
soilian
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Hartola, Finland

Post by soilian »

Ralf wrote:Are there many mosquitos in Finland in summer time?
What would Finnish summer be without mosquitos?!! :lol:
Money makes the world go round. We make the money go round.
Postcrossing
Rencko
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:57 am
Location: Kempele, Finland

Post by Rencko »

Ralf wrote:Are there many mosquitos in Finland in summer time?

Sometimes I keep thinking the question shoud be: Is there any summer in Finland in the mosquito time? :idea: :lol:
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

Rencko wrote:
Ralf wrote:Are there many mosquitos in Finland in summer time?

Sometimes I keep thinking the question shoud be: Is there any summer in Finland in the mosquito time? :idea: :lol:
That question is quite redundant. It's about the same as asking "are there any cars on an empty motorway?"
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
Van Geel
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Gent, Flanders (BE)
Contact:

Re: Summer holiday in Finland

Post by Van Geel »

airis wrote:
Van Geel wrote: then we enter Finland in a vilage called Naatamo Njavdan (I hope I spelled it right!) in the high north of Finland and then we go south to Haapalehto. Then we go to the west leaving Finland in Karigasniemi Garegasnjarga... After that we stay in Norway
I see your route in Finland is Näätämö - Sevettijärvi - Kaamanen - Karigasniemi In Näätämö, Kaamanen and Karigasniemi there are shops and cafés.

One suggestion: Village of Inariis only 27 km south of Kaamanen. There you could visit Siida, which is the home of the Sámi Museum and the Northern Lapland Nature Centre. A nice place to learn about the Sami culture, history and also local nature.
Thanks for the tip, Airis. Can you also tell me if there are campingsites around Kaamanen - Inari or in another place on my way where I can rent a small bungalow for a day? It would be a great help!
User avatar
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

Re: Summer holiday in Finland

Post by airis »

Van Geel wrote:Thanks for the tip, Airis. Can you also tell me if there are campingsites around Kaamanen - Inari or in another place on my way where I can rent a small bungalow for a day? It would be a great help!
Yes, there are many kind of accomodation in Inari region.
User avatar
Ralf
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 7382
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: Lottum - Limburg - The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Ralf »

I have now my route for 99,99% sure :D
After reading and hearing things. (thanks for it!)

Helsinki => Porvoo => Kotka => Hamina => Lappeenranta => Imatra => Savonlinna => Mikkeli => Jyväskylä => Tampere => Rauma => Turku => Helsinki.
1 day Tallinn.

Some more tips etc are welcome :wink: :D
Maybe there are on/near that route some nice places/city's to visit also?
In South-West of Turku is that nice to visit (that islands etc)? I'll make the trip maybe 1 day longer to visit that also if that is worth. Maybe you'll have a suggestion for a 1 day trip Turku ... ... ... Turku.
Something about Tallinn. I've looked for hotels but that you must check-in 2 pm and leave next day 10/12am or something. Maybe it is than better to go for example 9am from Helinki - Tallinn and back for example 7pm so that we can visit it for 6/7hours? Do you think that is enough time?
Here in Netherlands it is very very hard to book campings, houses, hotels etc in Finland. Do you think it is kind and don't book (only 1 or 2 hotels/houses) and look there for it?

Thanks :) :!:
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

Ralf wrote:Do you think it is kind and don't book (only 1 or 2 hotels/houses) and look there for it?

Thanks :) :!:
I'm sorry, but I'm quite unable to decipher the point of that sentence.. Could you please rephrase it? Currently it seems to be some wicked version of the Dutch "alsytblii", but it really doesn't make much sense..

If you meant to ask Finnish people to book cottages for you, then you should say in which cities you would need accommodation.

And then.. While going to Tallinn, there are two different options that don't include spending any time in Estonian hotels:
1) Take the first ship to Tallinn and return with the last ship. Since the trip is very short (1½ to 3 hours), it does make sense. Currently the first ship is a Nordic Jet Line ship that leaves Helsinki at 08:00, arriving to Tallinn at 09:40.
The last fast ship (Nordic Jet Line) leaves Tallinn at 21:35 and arrives to Helsinki at 23:15.
There's also a Tallink ship leaving Tallinn at 23:55, but it doesn't let its passengers out in Helsinki before 08:15.

2) Sleep aboard the ship.
There are several ships with which you could do this. Tallink's ship leaves Helsinki at 20:15, Viking Line's ship at 21:00. I don't know how long you are allowed to sleep at the Tallink ship, but I'd guess it's until 08:00 or so. Viking Line's M/S Rosella leaving Helsinki at 21:00 lets its passengers out also quite early in the morning, not only in midnight. I don't remember when is the last chance to get out, but the ship leaves Tallinn again at 08:15. So, maybe even as late as 07:45? The first possibility after 00:00 is at 06:30.

A no-sleeping cruise with Tallink. More sleeping time than on Viking, and of course less time in Tallinn.
One way prices and timetables for Tallink
All ship timetables for Helsinki-Tallinn-Helsinki (Tallinn-Helsinki in the bottom of the page. Hki=Helsinki, Tal=Tallinn. SU = on Sundays, EI SU = NOT on Sundays

No other companies than Viking Line and Tallink offer cruises that go over night.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
Ralf
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 7382
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: Lottum - Limburg - The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Ralf »

:oops: Indeed a strange one. (I have dyslexie)
I mean is it kind to look in Finland self for places to sleep (when I'm there)

Thanks for the Tallinn information I'll have a look.
User avatar
milanocapitale
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1916
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Milano,Lombardia,Nothern Italy(what's 'europe'?)
Contact:

Post by milanocapitale »

http://teladoiolafinlandia.splinder.com/


this is a blog about finland for tourists...
-THE ThREAD DIGGER-
Passi per quello sfigato di Marin, passi per quella zoccola della Bruni, passi per una fabbrica di debito come Alitalia ma EBT NO!(Manadou sta gran zoccola)
IO NON SONO MARINARETTO
User avatar
turtle
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 9:00 pm
Location: Everywhere, Netherlands
Contact:

Post by turtle »

milanocapitale wrote:http://teladoiolafinlandia.splinder.com/


this is a blog about finland for tourists...
nice site! i like to read things about this country, even when i am not planning to go there..(well, actually i really would like to, when i have the chance, but i don't have, so that won't happen in the next 3 years or something..)
but still i like reading things about that, although sometimes i get kindof fernweh of that even when i havent even been tehre 8O i am strange
User avatar
tiura
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 12:59 pm
Location: Turku, Finland
Contact:

Post by tiura »

Ralf wrote:I have now my route for 99,99% sure :D
After reading and hearing things. (thanks for it!)

Helsinki => Porvoo => Kotka => Hamina => Lappeenranta => Imatra => Savonlinna => Mikkeli => Jyväskylä => Tampere => Rauma => Turku => Helsinki.
1 day Tallinn.

Some more tips etc are welcome :wink: :D
Maybe there are on/near that route some nice places/city's to visit also?
In South-West of Turku is that nice to visit (that islands etc)? I'll make the trip maybe 1 day longer to visit that also if that is worth. Maybe you'll have a suggestion for a 1 day trip Turku ... ... ... Turku.
Thanks :) :!:
It is possible to drive through the archipelago, when you are coming from Rauma to Turku. Here's some info I found: http://www.saaristo.org/eng/routes-trail.htm This description is meant for cyclists, but it can be done by car too. Also when coming from north you would be making it another way round.
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”