Countries which shred notes
Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus
- Dakkus
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 4734
- Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
- Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
- Contact:
Countries which shred notes
We've been discussing about marking EBT's address to the notes which travel through our hands. Of course this isn't a good idea in Finland, Germany and some other quite "strict" countries. You get the point.
But the marked notes aren't shredded in every country. As far as I've understood they don't care about small writings in - for example - Italian notes. So, in those countries marking the notes might be a good idea.
So.. What countries do shred the marked notes and what do not? You see, now that it's summer and we travel here and there, we should probably mark the notes we're going to spend in a countries where they won't be scrapped. That way we'd get a lot of new users.
So.. Now tell us which countries let little writings go through so we can make a list for a bit of advertising ;)
But the marked notes aren't shredded in every country. As far as I've understood they don't care about small writings in - for example - Italian notes. So, in those countries marking the notes might be a good idea.
So.. What countries do shred the marked notes and what do not? You see, now that it's summer and we travel here and there, we should probably mark the notes we're going to spend in a countries where they won't be scrapped. That way we'd get a lot of new users.
So.. Now tell us which countries let little writings go through so we can make a list for a bit of advertising ;)
Last edited by Dakkus on Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
I guess in Portugal there's no problem..
I've taken some writed notes from ATMs..
bn
I've taken some writed notes from ATMs..
bn
Now in the EBT desert of Paris. My profile here.
It is best not to do it at all if the bill is unwritten (see my signatureAaron wrote:Do anyone know how strict are they in Finland? I always mark my notes with a small dot in the upper right corner. I do that only in order to avoid adding the same note twice to the database.
If they are very strict here I should give up with that...
because a bill can travel from a not so strict country to a very strict coutry
Only if the bill is written on you can write on the bill whatever you want,
because in that case the bill will be scrapped anyway.
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
- Dakkus
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 4734
- Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
- Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
- Contact:
I wouldn't care if a few marked bills travel to countries where banks are stricter. You see, the countries where marking could work, are also those where EBT doesn't have enough presence. It's anyway quite rare that a note travels abroad, and even if it does, it doesn't necessarily get scrapped. In my opinion getting 15 new members is more important than getting 0,1 hits (the probability to find the specific foreign note in your country isn't 100% even if the note doesn't get scrapped..).
Don't think about theoretical possibilities. Think about probabilities :)
Don't think about theoretical possibilities. Think about probabilities :)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
- eurobillsandcoins
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 754
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
- Location: Hong Kong SAR
- Contact:
France is the worst, I remember that franc notes never had writing, you could have a stack of 1000 notes and all could have no writing. The Banque de France frequently replaced franc notes. The French don't let their bills get too crinkly before thye're removed from circulation. According to BNP Paribas procedures we must remove notes that have writing, are torn, have tape, more than a certian number of folds or we just think its too crinkled. Its quite strange.
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
Irish notes are terrible, I'm not too sure about scrapping them but especially the €5 euro notes look really bad some times (I don't think they go back to the bank to often). In some cases you wonder if they fall apart if you touch them!! In that case I do write on them because the changes of a note like that being scrapped are quite high any way! 
- Annie_in_exile
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 990
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
- Location: Brussels
- Contact:
Re: Countries which scrap notes
Belgium has very strict rules, any bill with a little wrinting on it doesn't get trough.Dakkus wrote: So.. Now tell us which countries let little writings go through so we can make a list for a bit of advertising
- Annie_in_exile
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 990
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
- Location: Brussels
- Contact:
Many years ago, as a kid, I'd draw a little line on every bill I got, hoping to receive it back some day. That's about 20-25 years ago, long before tracking sites and I didn't write down serial numbers or anything, so I'd never know how long the note had been gone, but it was fun hoping for one to get back to me one day
I never thought that was a problem and I sometimes got a note with a small number or other mark on it, but a website addy is pretty long.
An idea: could we get a very short redirect url, for example a tinyurl (http://tinyurl.com to use? That way, instead of www.eurobilltracker.com, which is nice in that it accurately describes the purpose of the site but is also a rather long line, we'd only need to use 'tinyurl.com/1234' It'd also be less clear what it's for, but hey, people are curious by nature so I'm sure quite a lot would check it out!
I never thought that was a problem and I sometimes got a note with a small number or other mark on it, but a website addy is pretty long.
An idea: could we get a very short redirect url, for example a tinyurl (http://tinyurl.com to use? That way, instead of www.eurobilltracker.com, which is nice in that it accurately describes the purpose of the site but is also a rather long line, we'd only need to use 'tinyurl.com/1234' It'd also be less clear what it's for, but hey, people are curious by nature so I'm sure quite a lot would check it out!
Myranya
http://www.xs4all.nl/~myranya
http://www.xs4all.nl/~myranya
- avij
- Forum Moderator

- Posts: 6192
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
- Location: Helsinki Finland
- Contact:
The www. prefix can be dropped if needed -- eurobilltracker.com works as well. The short domain names are mostly taken by now..Myranya wrote:www.eurobilltracker.com

