Millionth note, assistance for public relations needed

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Millionth note, assistance for public relations needed

Post by avij » Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:42 pm

Alright, let's get the ball rolling, so to speak. Unless you've been living under the rock, you know that we've passed the millionth tracked note a few days ago. Actually it was more than a few days ago, but other duties have prevented me from starting the PR campaign for this special occassion. Now we have reached the point where we actually have a press release and it's currently being translated by the EBT translation team. This press release will be mailed on Monday morning to EBT users who have requested to receive newsletters. In addition to this, we're going to send the press release to various news sources around Europe in a coordinated fashion.

For this I'm looking for persons willing to act as public relations persons for their respective countries. This person would then take care the press release gets sent to appropriate places in his/her country. I'd try to avoid the situations where a) several people mass mail the same newspaper or b) where people think "well, someone must have told them by now" and don't send the press release to that newspaper. The appointed PR person would then coordinate the PR job in his/her country. This would involve emailing the newspapers and other news outlets and perhaps being a contact person if the reporter wants to ask further questions. In this case it might be useful to add a "additional contact: Joe Sixpack, joe.sixpack@email.addre.ss, 231 232 2323" line to the press release or its accompanying text. Some reporters prefer to interview some live person, instead of browsing the web for more details. And it'd be surely more effective and interesting if there was some real live person who would give the answers. Obviously there may be some questions directed to the EBT support email address, and in that case we'd like to know your email address and hopefully your phone number as well, so we can tell reporters to contact the EBT PR person in that country for additional details from a live person. Basically, accepting this job means that you'd email the press release to various places and then answer the questions if some reporter wants a clarification for some issue. Pretty easy, right? And you might get your 15 minutes of fame as well 8)

This PR person should also inform the other EBT users about where the press release has already been sent, and other EBT users can suggest additional news outlets. This could be handled by posting a message to this thread. Naturally, if some news outlet makes a story about EBT, it'd be nice to hear about it. If some newspaper writes a story about EBT, it'd be nice if someone could scan the story and email the image to the EBT contact email address (this someone could also be some other person than the PR person).

If you're interested, post a message or send me a PM. At some point (before Monday!) I'd like to know the PR persons' real names, email addresses and possible phone numbers, they can be sent to me via email to contact (at) eurobilltracker.com or via PM.

Current public relations persons by country:
Belgium: bhoeyb for Dutch requests, could some French-speaking person assist him?
Netherlands: HNL

Here's the current draft for the press release. Please don't distribute it before Monday.
avij wrote:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

contact@eurobilltracker.com
www.eurobilltracker.com

EURO BILL TRACKER REACHES 1 000 000 REGISTERED BILLS

Paris, France -- August 11, 2003 -- The top Euro bill tracking site has announced that it is now tracking a total of over 1 000 000 Euro bills, registered on the site by users from various countries, mainly from the Euro zone. The millionth note was a German 5€ note which was found in the Netherlands, Capelle aan den IJssel.

The idea behind the website is very simple: see how the bills travel around the world and give users a chance to find out where their bills have been and where they go. A more scientific aspect of the site is the diffusion section where monthly charts show how the proportion of foreign bills increases with time in each country. In order for this to happen, users enter the information about the bills they have and indicate where they got each bill. If the bill is already in the database, the previous users who have entered that bill are notified via email.

The success of the site in so many European countries is probably due to the fact that the site was designed to be multilingual from the start. The site is available in all Euro-zone languages thanks to a group of translators who give their time and assistance to the site.

-----
ABOUT WWW.EUROBILLTRACKER.COM

* Information about the eurobilltracker.com project is available at http://www.eurobilltracker.com

* Diffusion of Euro bills is available at http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/diffusion

* The Eurobilltracker website was inspired by the 4-year old Where's George website (www.wheresgeorge.com) but hopes to go beyond its big brother. The site went online on January 1st, 2002 to coincide with the introduction of the Euro in European countries.

* Project Statistics as of August 11, 2003:
12 729 users
1 015 103 bills, 25 674 570 €
391 double bill entries
51 participating countries
Last edited by avij on Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij » Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:02 pm

I've already received one suggestion for where the press release should be sent:
If you're planning on releasing a press-release of this milestone, copy it to Volkskrant. It's the daily trivia page from the second largest newspaper here in the Netherlands
Last edited by avij on Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Euro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Mr Euro » Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:01 pm

Here you can find a directory of all the newspapers in the world. Every PR-man can use this as a starting point. Most of them have contact-info pages where you can find addresses/phonenumbers and more.
http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:11 pm

Looks like this is going to be my "ask-for-volunteers-weekend" :roll:

It also looks like most of the site translators are currently on vacation or unavailable for some other reason, so I'm going to ask help from our French and German speaking participants in translating the press release to French and German. You can see the English press release above, the translations can be either posted here (preferred) or sent to me by PM.

Spanish, Greek, Italian, Portuguese and Swedish translations are needed as well, but there are many more people who have requested to receive the newsletter in German or French than those other languages so I'd concentrate on the most important languages first. Finnish and Dutch translations have already been contributed.

The schedule is a bit tight, as I'm going to mail out the press release on Monday, ie. today (depending on your time zone). I'm also still looking for people who could take some responsibility in handling the PR job in their respective countries, as described in my previous posting. Thanks for your cooperation :D

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:19 am

avij wrote:Looks like this is going to be my "ask-for-volunteers-weekend" :roll:

It also looks like most of the site translators are currently on vacation or unavailable for some other reason, so I'm going to ask help from our French and German speaking participants in translating the press release to French and German. You can see the English press release above, the translations can be either posted here (preferred) or sent to me by PM.
Here's my translation:
FÜR SOFORTIGE VERÖFFENTLICHUNG

Kontakt:
www.eurobilltracker.com

Eurobilltracker-Projekt erreicht eine Million registrierte Banknoten

Paris, Frankreich -- 11. August 2003 -- Die populärste Website für die Verfolgung von Euro-Banknoten berichtet, dass nun über eine Million Geldscheine in der Datenbank registriert sind. Sie sind von Nutzern aus vielen Ländern eingegeben worden, meist innerhalb der Eurozone. Die millionste Banknote war eine deutsche 5-Euro-Note, die in Capelle aan den IJssel in den Niederlanden aufgetaucht ist.

Die Idee hinter dem Projekt ist eigentlich sehr einfach: zu sehen, wie die Banknoten durch die Welt reisen, und den Benutzern die Möglichkeit zu geben, herauszufinden, wo ihre Banknoten herkamen und wo sie abgeblieben sind. Ein weiterer, eher wissenschaftlicher Aspekt der Website ist das Errechnen der Banknoten-Verteilung in den einzelnen Ländern. Monatsaktuelle Grafiken zeigen, wie sich in allen Euro-Ländern der Anteil ausländischer Banknoten mit der Zeit erhöht. Damit das alles funktioniert, geben die Benutzer Informationen über die Banknoten, die sie momentan besitzen, auf der Website ein, einschließlich des Ortes, an dem sie den Geldschein erhalten haben. Wenn der Schein bereits in der Datenbank enthalten ist, werden alle Benutzer, die ihn bereits vorher eingegeben haben, per E-Mail informiert.

Der große Erfolg dieser Website in ganz Europa liegt vermutlich darin begründet, dass sie von Anfang an vielsprachig konzipiert war. Dank einer Gruppe von engagierten Übersetzern ist die Website in allen Sprachen der Eurozone verfügbar.

-----
Über www.EUROBILLTRACKER.com

* Informationen über das Eurobilltracker-Projekt ist unter http://www.eurobilltracker.com zu finden.

* Die Verteilung der Euro-Banknoten befindet sich unter http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/diffusion

* Die Eurobilltracker-Website wurde inspiriert durch die amerikanische Website "Where's George" (www.wheresgeorge.com). Eurobilltracker hofft jedoch, diesen "großen Bruder" bald zu überrunden. Eurobilltracker ist online seit dem Tag der Euro-Einführung, dem 1.1.2002.

* Statistische Daten des Eurobilltracker-Projektes vom 11. August 2003:
12 729 Benutzer aus 51 Ländern
1 015 103 registrierte Banknoten, die einen Betrag von 25 674 570 Euro ausmachen
391 Mehrfach-Einträge von Banknoten
I did my best, but this is still a quick shot. A single person can overlook something, maybe someone else can browse through it and improve it a bit.
Good night :wink:

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:28 am

micro wrote:I did my best, but this is still a quick shot. A single person can overlook something, maybe someone else can browse through it and improve it a bit.
Danke schön :) Looks fine to me, although it's been 7 years since the last time I tried to comprehend German (in high school).

Now all we need is a French translation of the text and we'll email the press release.

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:48 pm

I've started emailing the emails now, but I'd really like to get the French translation. I haven't emailed the French-speaking EBTers anything yet, but unless I have the French translation in a few hours they'll receive the English version.

francky
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by francky » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:51 pm

avij wrote:Looks like this is going to be my "ask-for-volunteers-weekend" :roll:

Here's my translation:
POUR DIFFUSION IMMEDIATE

www.eurobilltracker.com

EURO BILL TRACKER A ATTEIND LES 1 000 000 DE BILLETS ENREGISTRES

Paris, France -- 11 Août 2003 -- Le plus célèbre des sites de suivi des billets Euro a annoncé qu'il avait maintenant plus de 1 000 000 de billets enregistrés par ses utilisateurs originaires de plusieurs pays. Le millionième billet est un billet allemand de 5€ qui a été enregistré à " Capelle Aan Den IJssel " aux Pays-Bas.

L'idée de base du site est très simple : observer comment les Euros voyagent à travers le monde et donner une chance aux utilisateurs de retrouver les billets qu'ils ont enregistrés. Pour ce faire, les utilisateurs entrent les informations sur les billets qu'ils ont et indiquent où ils les ont eu. Si un de ceux-ci se trouve déjà dans la base, la personne précédente est prévenue par E-Mail que son billet a été retrouvé.
Un aspect plus scientifique du site est la section "Diffusion" où les statistiques mensuelles montrent la progression de la proportion de billets "étrangers" dans chaque pays de la zone Euro.

Le succès du site à travers l'Europe est probablement dû au fait qu'il a été conçu, dès le départ, pour être multilingue. En effet, il est disponible dans toutes les langues de la zone Euro grâce au groupe de traducteurs bénévoles.

-----
A propos de www.EUROBILLTRACKER.COM

* Information à propos du projet "eurobilltracker.com" : http://www.eurobilltracker.com

* La diffusion des billets Euro: http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/diffusion

* L' "Eurobilltracker website" est inpiré par le site Where's George (www.wheresgeorge.com) qui le précède de 4 ans.

* Le site est en ligne depuis le 1er Janvier 2002 coïncidant avec l'introduction de l'Euro.

* Statistiques au 11 Août 03:
12 729 Utilisateurs
1 015 103 billets, 25 674 570 €
391 billets entrés deux fois
51 pays participants
Micro wrote:I did my best, but this is still a quick shot. A single person can overlook something, maybe someone else can browse through it and improve it a bit.
Good night :wink:
Same for me :roll: :wink: (thanks to Pascal :wink: )
Francky [fr][en :?: ]

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:06 pm

Thanks! I'm currently sending the last few emails, but for the most part, emails have been sent out now.

BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by BogPoet » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:07 pm

avij wrote:Thanks! I'm currently sending the last few emails, but for the most part, emails have been sent out now.
Unfortunately, I seem to have finished the .pt translation one hour and a half after you sent the emails :? Portuguese users got the English version. Bummer.
Tracking (again) Image

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij » Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:57 pm

BogPoet wrote:Unfortunately, I seem to have finished the .pt translation one hour and a half after you sent the emails :? Portuguese users got the English version. Bummer.
Sorry about that, try to bear with me :( The press release has been put on the front page news so it has pretty much visibility even though that particular translation wasn't mailed out.

Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:13 pm

I have discovered a mistake in the Dutch translation:

"due to" is translated as "te wijten aan", which I prefer to be "te danken
aan", because "te wijten aan" emphasizes that something is negative,
while "te danken aan" emphasizes that something is positive, and this site
certainly is NOT something negative... :roll: :wink:

I would like this to be changed. Can this be done?
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut

BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by BogPoet » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:52 pm

avij wrote:Sorry about that, try to bear with me :( The press release has been put on the front page news so it has pretty much visibility even though that particular translation wasn't mailed out.
Oh, don't worry about that. I'm just a bit frustrated that my timing was so narrowly off. I actually reminded myself of the translations when I woke up, but I couldn't do them until right after lunch. Anyway, it's good that people receive the newsletter in any form at all. Never mind me, go for the greater goal! ;)
Tracking (again) Image

Thomas B
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Thomas B » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:32 pm

Elmo wrote:I have discovered a mistake in the Dutch translation:

"due to" is translated as "te wijten aan", which I prefer to be "te danken
aan", because "te wijten aan" emphasizes that something is negative,
while "te danken aan" emphasizes that something is positive, and this site
certainly is NOT something negative... :roll: :wink:

I would like this to be changed. Can this be done?
I've send your comment to HNL, who coördinates the press release for the Netherlands.

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:52 pm

Elmo wrote:I would like this to be changed. Can this be done?
Sure, but we can't touch the emails we've already sent :wink: It's been corrected now to the press release text linked from the front page. HNL has the veto right to change it back if he wants, though.

Now that I have your attention, I'd like to point out that if you're going to send the press release to newspapers and such, it should be done very soon because there's a date on the press release and if the newspapers receive that press release next week they'll think this is old news and scrap it.

Belgian and Dutch media are taken care of by the designated persons. I wouldn't really have the time to do it, but I'll guess I'll have to take care of the Finnish newspapers. Someone else could take care of distributing this news to Finnish web discussion boards and such, I'm really not that familiar with the discussion board situation at the moment. Some reporter from Turun Sanomat contacted me today (by her own initiative, she must have visited this board or something) and there will be a short blurb about EBT in this weekend's Treffi extra (for Finnish users: no, I have no idea why it's named like that but that's a regular thing just like NYT for HS). I'll inform some other newspapers as well today, I'll report when I'm done that.

For other countries than Belgium, Netherlands and Finland, you're free to send the press release around. For the best effect, I'd suggest including your own contact information along with the press release so the reporter can ask you clarifications if needed. Please report here (or in your own language forum) where you've sent the press release.

HNL and bhoeyb, what's the situation right now?

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”