Help from Finnish native speakers needed!

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

Post Reply
User avatar
daniellez
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 886
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:51 pm
Location: Bolsward, Netherlands

Help from Finnish native speakers needed!

Post by daniellez »

Hi fellow-trackers,

Next Wednesday I have to give a presentation based on my term-paper. The paper, which I am still writing, is on Swedish immersion education in Finland.

The paper itself is running smoothly, but I need your help with some aspects.

First of all, I'd like to round off the presentation with this phrase: Thank you, any questions?
Could someone please translate the phrase in both Swedish and Finnish?

Moreover, I am struggling with the pronunciation of some names. Is there maybe a guide or list on the web that tells me how to pronounce certain Finnish sounds?

Thanks a lot for helping me!!!
Progress is a comfortable disease - E.E. Cummings
User avatar
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 pm
Location: Turku, Finland, EU

Post by Antti »

"Thank you, any questions?":
Finnish: "Kiitos. Onko teillä kysyttävää?"
Swedish: "Tack. Har ni några frågor?"

This Wikipedia article contains Finnish pronunciation instructions, plus loads of other stuff you don't really need to care about if you just want to check a few pronunciations.
User avatar
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:35 pm

Post by Gauss »

As for finnish pronounciation, you might also find this website useful. You can enter a text into the field, click on that button, and then the system reads the text to you. I've been told that it does a pretty good job overall.
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

Well, Finnish is pronounced exactly as it is written. The only exceptions are "ng" and "nk" which are pronounced as in pretty much any language, not as separate n and g and "sh" which is pronounced "š".

y = ü

If some letter is written as double, then you pronounce it about twice as long. According to my own tests the long consonants that are actually impossible to pronounce as long actually mean a short break.
For example my name Tuukka is t, long u, short pause, k, a. I'd figure writing it "Tuu-'ka" should make rather clear for any English speaker how my name is pronounced.

And that's pretty much it all.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun May 26, 2002 12:06 pm
Location: Frankfurt / Main

Post by Asiamaniac »

@ Dakkus: Yes, I remember how your girlfriend called your name during the meeting in Helsinki. It was exactly as you have described it here.
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”