New life

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

User avatar
de*lerger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 5315
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 9:24 pm
Location: Lies - Terschelling (NL)

New life

Post by de*lerger »

Found the nest in my garden on Wednesday. The little birds got out of the egg probably on Wednesday and Thursday. This picture was taken Friday evening.
I will post an updated picture when possible.

Until I prepared this post, I didn't even know this bird was called "thrush" in English.

Image
My map
User avatar
CSI
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

Post by CSI »

WoW! I'm waiting for a update!
User avatar
Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:37 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Post by Poutsi »

Thrushs are generally considered as vermins. I hope you or your neighbors don't have anything edible in your garden. My parents have had enough with those, the trushs get used to all kinds of deterrents and scarecrows. Only option is to kill them, and mark my words, they aren't easy targets. :?
Aina ei voi voittaa :/
User avatar
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1417
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:33 am
Location: Berlin

Post by Nerzhul »

Poutsi wrote:Only option is to kill them, and mark my words, they aren't easy targets. :?
In other words, now might be the time ;-)
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
User avatar
CSI
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

Post by CSI »

@ Poutsi & Nerzhul: You bastards! :evil: :twisted:

EDIT:
Sorry, if I sounded hard! Didn't mean to, because I was smiling when I wrote that!
At daytime, things does sound different... :oops:
Last edited by CSI on Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun May 26, 2002 12:06 pm
Location: Frankfurt / Main

Post by Asiamaniac »

I also had the great occasion some weeks ago to watch the newborn baby-birds, but that was another kind. Looked almost like these in the photos. Everyday I looked at them how they grew up. After some two weeks they have left the nest and I am glad that the parents got their little ones through.
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
User avatar
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:02 pm
Location: Geilenkirchen

Post by Donald »

Poutsi wrote:Thrushs are generally considered as vermins.
This here reads quite differently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrush_%28bird%29
User avatar
de*lerger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 5315
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 9:24 pm
Location: Lies - Terschelling (NL)

Post by de*lerger »

Poutsi wrote:Thrushs are generally considered as vermins. I hope you or your neighbors don't have anything edible in your garden. My parents have had enough with those, the trushs get used to all kinds of deterrents and scarecrows. Only option is to kill them, and mark my words, they aren't easy targets. :?
I don't know what kind of thrush is living in your neighbourhood :? In Holland they are well known for their beautiful singing. And as long as I watch these birds, they only eat worms and insects.
My map
User avatar
Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:37 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Post by Poutsi »

CSI wrote:Sorry, if I sounded hard! Didn't mean to, because I was smiling when I wrote that!
At daytime, things does sound different... :oops:
Hehe, no offense taken. I thought it was funny. :)

de*lerger wrote:I don't know what kind of thrush is living in your neighbourhood :? In Holland they are well known for their beautiful singing. And as long as I watch these birds, they only eat worms and insects.
Whoops, I was speaking of a special kind of thrush (fieldfare, räkättirastas in Finnish). My parents had some 800 m² of strawberries, and fieldfares were a real nuisance since they ate the berries.
Aina ei voi voittaa :/
User avatar
de*lerger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 5315
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 9:24 pm
Location: Lies - Terschelling (NL)

Post by de*lerger »

Poutsi wrote:
Whoops, I was speaking of a special kind of thrush (fieldfare, räkättirastas in Finnish). My parents had some 800 m² of strawberries, and fieldfares were a real nuisance since they ate the berries.
The fieldfare is in Holland known as kramsvogel. From a distance it looks like the thrush (Dutch: lijster) in my garden. But they only show up in the winter period, so they don't cause much damage.

The "kids" grew a bit bigger, but they still have their eyes closed. So I will wait a little with the update. Meanwhile, one of the parents was so kind to pose in front of my camera:

Image
My map
User avatar
de*lerger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 5315
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 9:24 pm
Location: Lies - Terschelling (NL)

Post by de*lerger »

Here's the new picture. Took it on monday evening, 3 says after the first.

Image
My map
User avatar
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4270
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
Location: Herentals - Belgium
Contact:

Post by bhoeyb »

I had some tits nesting on my balcony. They've tried 4 times this year but never succeeded :( .
The first time, the nest box was destroyed by a cat :evil: -they aren't easy targets neigther :twisted: -
User avatar
jabosa2
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 7704
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: St.Annaland

Post by jabosa2 »

Very nice pictures. I'll be waiting for the next :D :P
Steun het Nederlandse Rode Kruis.
www.rodekruis.nl/
My stats
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

Just to mention, some bird species leave their nests if a human finds them. That means the newborn birds will starve to death as their mother won't come feed them anymore.
This clearly isn't the case with this bird, but you should often think twice before going to some bird's nest..
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
de*lerger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 5315
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 9:24 pm
Location: Lies - Terschelling (NL)

Post by de*lerger »

Dakkus wrote:Just to mention, some bird species leave their nests if a human finds them. That means the newborn birds will starve to death as their mother won't come feed them anymore.
This clearly isn't the case with this bird, but you should often think twice before going to some bird's nest..
You're absolutely right about this. Peaking into a birds nest regularly should not be done with (very) shy birds. But on the other hand, they usually avoid populated areas.

This thrush has its nest only 2 meters from my back door (and I never use the front door). I discovered the nest when I was sitting on my garden bench straight under the nest. The old bird was sitting in a tree nearby, being very angry at me. I took a few steps aside and he/she flew straight to the nest. Now I moved the bench two meters and everything is OK. One of the parent birds is even looking for worms underneath the bench with me sitting on it.

Of course, when one of the parents is on or near the nest I leave them alone.
My map
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”