Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Would-be euro banknotes?

Post by Craft »

zz
Last edited by Craft on Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Would-be euro banknotes?

Post by Olivier »

Craft wrote:Hi!

Has anyone ever encountered any information about the other designs that lost the competition when they decided to make the notes as they look now (with windows & doors & bridges)?

I'd be very interested to see what kind of banknotes we didn't get :)
They thought about celebrities and famous people of the continent. But the problem was who for which value... Nobody agreed.
Then they wanted to put an artistic theme (painters, musicians... ). They finaly chose architecture (which lets less controversy). :)

If you read french, take a peek at my homepage. I have put many informations on the Euro. :)
www.olivierlebert.com :)
Last edited by Olivier on Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

zz
Last edited by Craft on Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

Craft wrote:Thanks, Olivier, for the link to your site. I bookmarked it. Nice information! I manage to understand French somewhat even though I have never actually studied the language :)
:D :D :D

I will soon update all these pages with some bills of the canidates for the EU + the countries I have been to (Canada, USA, Africa... ) :)
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

zz
Last edited by Craft on Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Re: Would-be euro banknotes?

Post by pinguino79 »

Olivier wrote:They thought about celebrities and famous people of the continent. But the problem was who for which value... Nobody agreed.
Well, that's normal.
Here's a scenario: Leonardo da Vinci on the 500 € note and René Descartes on 5 € note.
Frenchmen would say "Ce n'est pas juste! Une célébrité italianne qui vaut plus qu'une célébrite française!". :)
BTW, I wouldn't complain to see an Italian celebrity on a low denomination note.
Don't you think that at least Schumann deserved a picture on the notes?
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

pinguino79 wrote: Frenchmen would say "Ce n'est pas juste! Une célébrité italianne qui vaut plus qu'une célébrite française!". :)
I understand that it isn't possible to put "important" persons on just 7 notes. There are not only more than 7 countries, there are also more than 7 subjects you could take people from. If you would depict an artist and an architect, the scientists would say: why did you depict a biologist but no physicist?

An alternative would have been to leave one side for country-specific stuff, as is the case today with the coins. The colors in bills would have to be predefined. I think it would be more confusing to have different bills than different coins.

And BTW, I couldn't afford to put aside 84 bills for collection, making 10.620 euros, the price of a car :(
==> I think they did right.
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by emmem »

micro wrote: ...

An alternative would have been to leave one side for country-specific stuff, as is the case today with the coins. The colors in bills would have to be predefined. I think it would be more confusing to have different bills than different coins.

And BTW, I couldn't afford to put aside 84 bills for collection, making 10.620 euros, the price of a car :(
==> I think they did right.
Well you can put more than one face on a bill. But I agree with micro. They did a fine job.

Euro bills can open many doors. But I’m still confused about the bridges. :?
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

emmem wrote: Euro bills can open many doors. But I?m still confused about the bridges. :?
Euro bills can open windows you mean? :)
The bridges are connecting us all in our different countries :)
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by emmem »

micro wrote:
emmem wrote: Euro bills can open many doors. But I?m still confused about the bridges. :?
Euro bills can open windows you mean? :)
Oops :oops:
Guess the hot weather has done some strange things to my brain 8)

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”