Polls Polls Polls

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

What do you think about polls?

Usefull
1
2%
Way to many
1
2%
Have no real opinion about them
2
4%
Please stop those stupid polls!!!
1
2%
Funny
13
26%
Polls? What polls?
2
4%
Is this a pollsite or a eurotrack site?
1
2%
More More More I need more polls!!!
13
26%
Some interesting, others way to lame
15
30%
I don't enter any of them
1
2%
 
Total votes: 50

EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:53 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by EuroBillTracker »

micro wrote:
avij wrote:...thru has been in use in U.S. since 1876...
I think 'thru' is (and probably has been) always colloquial use like in ads, but that's just an assumption.
I think it's more complicated. At some point the US decided to simplify how words were written and "thru" was such a proposal. I think it was never enacted by law or something but still, some people use it. Can anyone confirm ?
micro wrote: What I like most in the US is the 'PedXing' which sounds rather Chinese but is an abbreviation for pedestrian crossing.
True, it always made my father roar with laughter. You also have DeerXing in some places
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

EuroBillTracker wrote: I think it's more complicated. At some point the US decided to simplify how words were written and "thru" was such a proposal. I think it was never enacted by law or something but still, some people use it. Can anyone confirm ?
I took a look into a couple of dictionaries on the Internet and found mostly "Informal through". And this:


thru

An occasional non-standard American English spelling of through. Examples: I see the thing thru, alone-E. E. Cummings, 1917; When she wuz little and she had stuttered thru a sentence-Black World, 1971; Available for S types right thru to Mk 10s it retails for 26 notes-Hot Car , 1977. The spelling has a history of its own in the 20c. in American spelling-reform circles, but the American public has rejected it except in informal circumstances (private letters, memos, etc.) and in the traffic term thruway ( = expressway).

The New Fowler's Modern English Usage, © Oxford University Press 1968


thru (adv., adj., prep.)

is a variant spelling of through, widely written but relatively seldom printed; it was formally proposed by spelling reformers in the late nineteenth century as a simplification, and like tho has rarely been questioned seriously in Informal use. See SPELLING (1). 1

The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. Copyright © 1993 Columbia University Press.
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Re: Polls Polls Polls

Post by Olivier »

Mr Euro wrote:Polling about polls.

I like them, it's funny! :-)
User avatar
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4933
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Away from home (once again)
Contact:

Post by Jes »

It's funny, even pulling about pulls :)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
User avatar
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 20032
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:49 am
Location: Rotterdam (NL)
Contact:

Post by eddydevries »

Jes wrote:It's funny, even pulling about pulls :)
You mean "polling about polls"? :wink: :lol:

I votes for "Some interesting, others way to lame", but I'll join them (almost) all.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”