New section of EBTForum for Greek users

Γράψτε εδώ τη γνώμη σας για το site, προτάσεις για βελτίωσή του, νέες ιδές ...

Moderator: Tiverius

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

New section of EBTForum for Greek users

Post by avij »

This section of the discussion forum is dedicated to Greek-speaking persons on EBT. Unfortunately the number of Greek EBTers is quite low at the moment, but we hope to see lots of Greek people joining EBT in the future. The previous version of the forum software didn't like the Greek alphabet, but the current version should handle Greek characters just fine. Let me know if there are any problems.

It should be noted that I don’t speak Greek at all - the translation of the forum title is a result of creative use of machine translators and existing EBT translations. If you speak Greek and feel that the title should be changed to something better, feel free to contact me. Additionally, if you think you could enhance the Greek translation of EBT, let me know and I'll make you a website translator.

Only Greek language discussion is allowed in this part of the forum, apart from this introductory message.

Edit: I've changed the database structure a bit so that it'll allow displaying the full forum title. Greek characters take more space in the database than Latin characters, and the title in Greek didn't fit in the 150 character field. I hope I didn't break anything, let me know if there are problems.

Υποδοχή!
Last edited by avij on Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Ralf
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ralf »

Nice work Avij! :!:
We must hope that there came many new users from greece!
Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Poutsi »

έξοχα! ωραιότατα!
Last edited by Poutsi on Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aina ei voi voittaa :/
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

If you want to see how your browser handles Greek (and other) characters, please do your testing here. Thanks!
Schaza
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Schaza »

Nice to see Greek here. :) I have wondered sometimes that isn't there any who could translate this to them. Greek is one of those languages what i want to learn.
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons »

ΕΞΟΧΟ!!

Δροσερό!!
yandr
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by yandr »

The translation is not correct however (both title and description of the thread).

I also do not see a point in having a thread for each language (I am Greek). Wouldn't it be better for all of us to share are views in one forum in one language (english)?
Discover your coins - http://www.fleur-de-coin.com
nodisch18
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by nodisch18 »

yandr wrote:The translation is not correct however (both title and description of the thread).

I also do not see a point in having a thread for each language (I am Greek). Wouldn't it be better for all of us to share are views in one forum in one language (english)?
I don't agree with you, look at the dutch forum section. It really is a big succes!

And a lot of people don't speak other languages apart from their own...
"The world is like a book, those
who don't travel only read the first page
"
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

yandr wrote:The translation is not correct however (both title and description of the thread).

Nope. There are many people in Europe who can't speak too good English. We have to provide something for them, too.
In each language-specific forums I know some people who can't write English well enough to comment anything. They've got them in the Dutch, in the Finnish and in the German forum.
And think about the French people. They haven't even heard of such a place as England. We'd have to have a forum for them, anyway. Because otherwise they couldn't talk about EBT with each others at all!

For most people (I'd dare to say over 90%) it's also far easier describing their thoughts in their own language than in any foreign one. That includes even me, who writes quite good English anyway. I can get my words out of my mouth, but many little nyances are lost. I can't describe myself 100% perfectly in English.
If we didn't have the language-specific forums, there would be far less conversation, because many people don't dare to write in English even if they actually could. It takes surprisingly lot of confidence. It's better to have the conversation in a weird language (F.ex. Finnish ;)) than to have no conversation at all. Then the people who speak both Weirdish and English can refer the conversation in the English forum.
And many are also able enough to guess even foreign languages to get the main points from them and ask the rest in English. And there are always the translation machines.

And sorry, if this looks a bit like bashing. I don't mean anything personal. This is just an answer and I'm very bad in writing as politically as I'd want to. At least in English ;)

Personally I always prefer the English forums, because that way more people can read and comment my writings. I'm lucky enough to be able to describe myself with an accuracy of some 90% anyway :)

And hey!
Since you seem to know how the topic is wrong, could you please correct it? We'd be more than happy if you wrote for us the correct phrase for example in this thread.
Thank you :)

And for the end: It's great to see also Greek people say something here :) Haven't seen much of that yet.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
yandr
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by yandr »

Yes, but because I don't speak Dutch, I don't know what is being said.

I may be missing a lot of great information. The same applies to all non-speaking forums.

It is only my view anyway
yandr
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by yandr »

The translation should be

Συζητήσεις για το site και την παρακολούθηση των ευρώ (Ελληνικά)

or you can substitute "το site" with "τον ιστοχώρο"

the description
"Γράψτε εδώ τη γνώμη σας για το site, προτάσεις για βελτίωσή του, νέες ιδές ...
Last edited by yandr on Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schaza
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Schaza »

Very nice that we have user here with good language skills. :)
nodisch18
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by nodisch18 »

yandr wrote:Yes, but because I don't speak Dutch, I don't know what is being said.

I may be missing a lot of great information. The same applies to all non-speaking forums.

It is only my view anyway
It is great that you share your opinion!

An dlike Dakkus said, i also prefer to open an english topic for interesting questions.
"The world is like a book, those
who don't travel only read the first page
"
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Thanks for the translation, my Greek is a bit rusty :wink:

In addition to what others have said, it's nice to have a forum for discussing national things, such as hits in your own neighbourhood and other local things. For example, in English forums I'd probably need to explain where Espoo is situated if I was talking about a rare note that I got from an ATM in Espoo. Most people in Finland know where Espoo is, so it's easier for all of us to limit some discussion to those languages.

But if you feel like writing your messages to the English forum, feel free to do so. This Greek section has been created for those who prefer to write their messages in Greek.
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons »

yandr wrote:The translation should be

Συζητήσεις για το site και την παρακολούθηση των ευρώ (Ελληνικά)

or you can substitute "το site" with "τον ιστοχώρο"

the description
"Γράψτε εδώ τη γνώμη σας για το site, προτάσεις για βελτίωσή του, νέες ιδές ...

Thanks,
I hope you'll get a hit pretty soon.
We really need Greek hits! and users ofcourse, tell your friends about this site!!

Return to “Συζητήσεις για το site και την παρακολούθηση των ευρώ (Ελληνικά)”