Development WG's famous to do list

Concerns? Let us know by posting here.

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons, avij, dserrano5

klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:28 pm

€€F wrote:I think avij has to open this option manually??
ah, that would explain it...

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:38 pm

No, that's certainly not necessary. I guess I'll just blame caching.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
EBT Tech WG leader. Do not PM me if your question is not related to Tech WG or the association.

klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 pm

avij wrote:
No, that's certainly not necessary. I guess I'll just blame caching.
that would mean separate caching for the different categories (1+, 5+, 10+, and so on) as far as I have observed, and at least a one month cache lag (I got to 500 hits in September) for 500+ 8O
interesting cache effect ;)

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:51 pm

klapotec wrote:interesting cache effect ;)
Alright, it appears to have been a bug after all. Fixed, will be included in the next site update.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
EBT Tech WG leader. Do not PM me if your question is not related to Tech WG or the association.

Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:00 pm

If I understand my own code correctly the country filter in connection with the hit distribution page also lists the distribution of users who've had hits with that country, not who are from that country.

So if you've had 500+ hits involving Austria you should get listed/counted, but not if you're from Austria and had just 500+ hits.

This is to balance the stats against users moving around (e.g. changing their location because they're on vacation). Otherwise a finnish user visiting Austria could mess up this distribution ;-)

Also, the timeout for this calculation is 1 day.

Just FYI of course, I don't think this was the cause of the problem in this case.
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter

eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:15 pm

Nerzhul wrote:This is to balance the stats against users moving around (e.g. changing their location because they're on vacation). Otherwise a finnish user visiting Austria could mess up this distribution ;-)
Do people still change their country? Is it still necessary than, for easy entering the notes?
You can take your last location from the list (and for starting users the last location is shown when you has entered your last note). Or do I miss something?

(A little bit off-topic, but reacting on the previous post)
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1673 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1733.

Facebook-profile + hyves-profile + postcrossing

magpie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by magpie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:18 pm

I think Nerzhul thought of users like Klazu who moved from Finland to study/work in Germany,

klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:15 pm

avij wrote:
klapotec wrote:interesting cache effect ;)
Alright, it appears to have been a bug after all. Fixed, will be included in the next site update.
Thanks!
Nerzhul wrote:If I understand my own code correctly the country filter in connection with the hit distribution page also lists the distribution of users who've had hits with that country, not who are from that country.

So if you've had 500+ hits involving Austria you should get listed/counted, but not if you're from Austria and had just 500+ hits.
...and thanks for this explanation. This explains the difference between that page and the countries' users' hit rankings.
Nerzhul wrote:Just FYI of course, I don't think this was the cause of the problem in this case.
I thought so, since nearly all my hits involve Austria at least at my end ;)

B I V O L
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Streets as bill-locations

Post by B I V O L » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:14 pm

I quoted this from topic Incorrect dots and inaccuracies among city profiles, from where I got no answer :cry: , but great thanks to somebody for waypost to this topic here :D .
B I V O L wrote:I have 1 question for EBT programmers, moderators and all of you:

my great wish is to writing names of the streets (as additional option and not required) inside cities or smaller places - of course with coordinates, which should be writen from each user with his/her imported bills :idea: . More and more people have own GPS devices, so this shouldn't be to hard and we can find coordinates on many web sites. I think in this case will be less 0 km hits.

I want to know, what can you say about this :roll: :?:

DrGreenTom
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by DrGreenTom » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Bivol, from privacy point of view i don't think that's a good idea
het leukste forum van het westelijk halfrond : http://www.chezpaulus.be

B I V O L
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by B I V O L » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:10 pm

DrGreenTom wrote:Bivol, from privacy point of view i don't think that's a good idea
About privacy I absolutely agree with you and I thought about this too. But I didn't say, that somebody should write coordinates of his/her home and none house numbers, please. We can talking about streets, where are (many) shops, gas stations, bus stations, train stations, airports, restaurants, other tourist attractions, etc. These haven't a lot to do with our privacy :idea: or :?:

P.S. by the way, what do you say about this privacy How does it look from your window :roll:
Last edited by B I V O L on Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petri6
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Petri6 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:18 pm

B I V O L wrote:
DrGreenTom wrote:Bivol, from privacy point of view i don't think that's a good idea
About privacy I absolutely agree with you and I thought about this too. But I didn't say, that somebody should write coordinates of his/her home and none house numbers, please. We can talking about streets, where are (many) shops, gas stations, bus stations, train stations, airports, restaurants, other tourist attractions, etc. These haven't a lot to do with our privacy :idea: or :?:
Why not use the comment field for that?

Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:20 pm

Most likely such a feature would be used only by the very few users who consider it extremely important to have extremely precise locations for their entries. A package of three additional, optional fields (and for every entry either none or all three of them are expected to be filled) - for "detailed location", latitude and logitude - seems conceivable to me.

However, there are two very important issues to take care of:

(a) The possibility to enter arbitrary fake coordinates just anywhere in the world, in which case the dot for the relevant city profile would be screwed up. Possible solution: User-entered coordinates don't count for the dot in the city profile, and/or need to lie in a certain neighbourhood of the "official" coordinates.

(b) The danger that users get under the impression that they should enter a very detailed location.
Firstly, this sole impression would put many people off, for obvious privacy concerns.
Secondly, those who don't mind might not bother looking up coordinates and start entering the very detailed location in the 'city' field. A number of people do that already anyway (see elsewhere). On the other hand, those users with an extraordinary sense for precision - and with a resulting extraordinarily low tolerance level as to when things become particularly annoying - might cause overall less work and trouble if such new fields were created in the note entry forms.

Bivol, the other thread is not intended for suggestions (unlike this thread here). It states very clearly for what it is intended.

DrGreenTom
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by DrGreenTom » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:38 pm

B I V O L wrote:

P.S. by the way, what do you say about this privacy How does it look from your window :roll:
it's up to every user to decide how much importance he/she gives to privacy, so if they want to post of a picture from their window it's their free choice.

Same thing would be true for street coördinates. If it weren't that when a hit occurs, the other user might loose his privacy because after many hits with that second user, you'll start to see a clear pattern in his/hers whereabouts.
het leukste forum van het westelijk halfrond : http://www.chezpaulus.be

Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Post by Licht & Feuer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:35 am

DrGreenTom wrote:...after many hits with that second user, you'll start to see a clear pattern in his/hers whereabouts.
But just about a virtual nickname! What I don't get in these discussions is, how somebady should be able to connect this with the real person behind the nick if s/he isn't sharing this information otherwise :?:
Also, if you hit a user quiet often, it is most probably a poweruser and the informations you can collect from the notereports is just, at which banks s/he grabbs bundles :wink:

At bookcrossing, there is a new, optional location-feature, quiet similar to those suggested by BIVOL.
You can enter coordinates directly or a street address (than the coordinates will been created by GoogleMaps).
Thats how it looks like:

I like this feature very much and as far as I know, there isn't any trouble or concern about it in the BC-community.

But well, originally I came here for something completely different:
The first bill that has been entered in the city of Espelkamp is this one from 2006-06-14 but the related profile states the next day, 2006-06-15 as the date of the first entry.
I've noticed this little inaccuracy in some other profiles, too. Maybe a bug?

Return to “Feedback and Development”