Which notes can you get from the ATM-cashmachine?
Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus
- Craco
- Forum Administrator

- Posts: 488
- Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:23 pm
- Location: Belgium, Beringen
- Contact:
Which notes can you get from the ATM-cashmachine?
This topic was already posted on the French Board by Francky. But i'm putting it here on the English board to get some more reactions from other countries.
In Belgium, i can choose between 20 EUR and 50 EUR from the ATM in the Selfbank of Fortis-bank. Apparently there is another bank in Belgium, where you can get also notes of 5 EUR (according to a post on the French board).
How about in the other countries?
Greetzz,
In Belgium, i can choose between 20 EUR and 50 EUR from the ATM in the Selfbank of Fortis-bank. Apparently there is another bank in Belgium, where you can get also notes of 5 EUR (according to a post on the French board).
How about in the other countries?
Greetzz,
Thats not completely true, it depends on which ATM you try. There are some ATM's which give you some choices. But indeed i think most banks only have 10,20 and 50 notes. Last weekend i took €250,-- but didn't get any 100.htb wrote: In the netherlands one can't choose which notes you want.
BTW, i think they should give more smaller notes. When i take 100 i always get 2x 50. so i mostely take 80 or 90 to at least have som smaller notes.
- pinguino79
- Euro-Expert in Training

- Posts: 313
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:44 pm
- Location: Vicenza, Italy, EU
- Craco
- Forum Administrator

- Posts: 488
- Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:23 pm
- Location: Belgium, Beringen
- Contact:
Just to clarify: In Belgium, the most common ATM's are the one where you can't choose, which notes you want. The ATM's give you the notes depending on the sum you withdraw. The one I use is a sort of selfbank and i have the option to really choose between 20 EUR or 50 EUR or mixed. I always take 20 EUR, so that i have more notes to enter. 
-
Vítor
ATM's in Portugal
Here all the ATM's work the same way, and all of them can give 5, 10, 20 and 50 euro notes.
by the way, Portugal is the european country with more ATM's per capita.
by the way, Portugal is the european country with more ATM's per capita.
ATM's in Portugal
Vítor wrote: Here all the ATM's work the same way, and all of them can give 5, 10, 20 and 50 euro notes.
-
Vítor
Just a correction
I'm not completly shure that the ATM'S give 50 euro notes, but it's true that they give 5, 10 and 20 euro notes, as in the past they used to give 1, 2 and 5 contos notes.
I don't know if that's expensive or not, but it would be a lot more expensive if we had to enter in the bank to get the notes we'd like.
I don't know if that's expensive or not, but it would be a lot more expensive if we had to enter in the bank to get the notes we'd like.
- Sneakster
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 1234
- Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:42 pm
- Location: Breda,The Netherlands
- Contact:
I think it varies. For instance, when I visit the ATM in my neighbourhood — right next to the store where I was checking out an industrial plastic tank — I don’t have a choice. But when I get money from the ATM in my place of birth, I do have a choice in notes. Yesterday I visited The Hague and withdrew €70. It came in 2 bills of €20, 2 bills of €10 and 2 bills of €5.
BTW, one of the €20 bills was from Finland, with the serial L02x03690xxx, about which note I was very surprised to get it out of a Dutch ATM. So you see, notes are spreading in due time!
BTW, one of the €20 bills was from Finland, with the serial L02x03690xxx, about which note I was very surprised to get it out of a Dutch ATM. So you see, notes are spreading in due time!
Last edited by Sneakster on Tue May 06, 2025 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
MDeen
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 2243
- Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:52 am
- Location: Helden, The Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: Which notes can you get from the ATM-cashmachine?
In the Netherlands it´s common to find 10, 20 and 50 Euro notes. In Austria I received 2 100 Euro notes while withdrawing 200 Euro, and in Portugal and Spain (where I´m on a holiday now) give 5, 10, 20 and 50, and they have a preference for the smaller denominations (I once got 5´s, 10´s and a few 20´s when withdrawing 200 Euro!)Craco wrote:This topic was already posted on the French Board by Francky. But i'm putting it here on the English board to get some more reactions from other countries.
In Belgium, i can choose between 20 EUR and 50 EUR from the ATM in the Selfbank of Fortis-bank. Apparently there is another bank in Belgium, where you can get also notes of 5 EUR (according to a post on the French board).
How about in the other countries?
Greetzz,
Maarten


