how to enter notes?

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

how to enter notes?

Post by Guest »

How does one register the notes that one has? In looking around the site I have completely failed to find a link titled "enter notes" or anything similar. There definitely isn't one on the front page, where I'd expect it to be. I can find a profusion of statistics, but no way to enter my notes. Neither the tour nor the FAQ addresses this issue.

Other people are, obviously, successfully entering notes. So where's the mechanism hiding?
MetalAtog
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MetalAtog »

Have you already registered in the site?? If not do that first, then log in. Then just click on "New Note".
coach vahid
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by coach vahid »

Quizmaster
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Quizmaster »

Yup, you have to register first. You can do so anonymously, you don't have to supply your real name and location in your profile. (But of course you have to supply the real location where you got the bill when you enter it)

Good luck entering your first bill(s)!
My Profile
-> If you carry notes with you to a distant location, why not use the comment field to tell us (roughly) where they went? <-
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss »

To clarify, it is indeed necessary to create an account before registering notes. The direct link to the note entry form is - once you're logged in - http://www.eurobilltracker.com/new/

Post by Guest »

Oh, that's crap. I don't want the hassle of having an account. I won't bother then.
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss »

Not even after such a friendly welcome with four replies within a quarter of an hour ...?

Post by Guest »

Gauss wrote:Not even after such a friendly welcome with four replies within a quarter of an hour ...?

The rapid explanation is appreciated (though not as much as a clear statement upfront would have been). Nevertheless, I'm not looking for friends here. I'm not trying to join a community or interact with humans in any manner other than that which is the primary purpose of EBT: exchanging information about sightings of euro banknotes. I don't care about getting credit for the data that I contribute. All I want to do is add to the website's dataset, as a one-off transaction, with no strings attached.
Beatminister
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Beatminister »

I don't care about getting credit for the data that I contribute. All I want to do is add to the website's dataset, as a one-off transaction, with no strings attached.
Well, if you dont want to sign up yourself, but still want to have your note data entered here, you can give your data to a user here who enters it for you. I would volunteer - given that the data is clean (no faked stuff ect).
capitobi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by capitobi »

Anonymous wrote: The rapid explanation is appreciated (though not as much as a clear statement upfront would have been). Nevertheless, I'm not looking for friends here. I'm not trying to join a community or interact with humans in any manner other than that which is the primary purpose of EBT: exchanging information about sightings of euro banknotes. I don't care about getting credit for the data that I contribute. All I want to do is add to the website's dataset, as a one-off transaction, with no strings attached.
Well, nobody is forced to interact with other users. The main argument for registering is to be able follow the banknotes. If you could enter notes without being a member you might find out about their past, but not about their future, since you cannot be informed if a note gets entered again.

Post by Guest »

Re following notes, as I said, I don't want strings attached. I don't want the site emailing me for any reason. If I particularly wanted to follow the future progress of notes that I've handled, presumably I could just keep a record of the notes' IDs and ask the site about them whenever I want an update. But actually I don't care about these notes more than any others.

EBT has two core functions. One is to collect banknote/location/date tuples. The other is to emit the collected data in various processed forms. I'm interested in EBT for these core functions, not any of the frills. I'm disappointed to find that the input side has been hobbled by tying it to ancillary features such as notification of former note holders.
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

@ GUEST :

If you don't want to join the EBT-project you could maybe just stop posting here and start your little website on your own...

I am pretty much irritated by all this "hiding-away"-considerations by someone that obviously know a lot of things about EBT and billtracking. Maybe you have your own agenda and maybe, your intention are less pure.

A faker, for example, might be interested in registering bills that are "not traceable"...

By the way, we have over 120.000 users ; we want change this system for someone who only post under the name "GUEST".

Post by Guest »

I'm not trying to hide. Here's my home page. I never had any intention of supplying false data. My agenda is, as I have stated, to avoid hassle.

As for changing the system, I never expected it to change. These things generally don't once they're established. I still think it's useful to discuss the relative merits of things that can't be changed.

My intention on this issue is to continue participating in this thread, to set right anyone else who doesn't believe my stated motives, and to continue to justify the reasonableness of my stance where it is disputed. I'll continue until the thread gets repetetive, or I've made all possible points, or I get bored, or something else intervenes. Outside this discussion, I will (as I've said) not bother with creating an account to use EBT. I won't (as suggested) attempt to start my own EBT-alike website; that would be an awful lot more hassle.
Marius
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Marius »

Anonymous wrote:I'm not looking for friends here. I'm not trying to join a community or interact with humans in any manner other than that which is the primary purpose of EBT: exchanging information about sightings of euro banknotes.
you could just "interact" with the website, ignoring the forum, disabling the newsletter and maybe there could be a way to disable the hit notification (or you could just ignore/filter any email coming from this domain).
Anonymous wrote:I don't care about getting credit for the data that I contribute.
Inserted notes have to be addressed to some user. If you don't care about what other users could think about the "being behind your username", I don't really see the problem. You understand that making anonymous insertion available wouldn't help distinguishing one user from another. That is not crediting you as a person, but your username as an unique identifier. I don't understand why one should have this kind of problem, but if this is your case I respect it, and I'm sorry you won't find this site useful for you.
Anonymous wrote:Re following notes, as I said, I don't want strings attached. I don't want the site emailing me for any reason. If I particularly wanted to follow the future progress of notes that I've handled, presumably I could just keep a record of the notes' IDs and ask the site about them whenever I want an update. But actually I don't care about these notes more than any others.
again. Since your email isn't published, nobody else than the webmaster can contact you. If you don't care about the hit notification (that you can set to be delayed up to one month from the last one, so to reduce the amount of "spam" in your inbox) you can just ignore/filter/report-as-junk it. Or, in a simpler way, you could suggest to implement an option to disable ANY communication to your email address.

I hope my English was good enough, and my thoughts sufficiently clear
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

Marius wrote:maybe there could be a way to disable the hit notification (or you could just ignore/filter any email coming from this domain).
You can set the hit notification to "once per month". That's very little hassle then. :roll:

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”