AZERTY or QWERTY ?

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

What kind of keybord do you have?

AZERTY
41
24%
QWERTY
110
65%
another kind...
16
9%
I can't write. My computer understands my voice.
2
1%
 
Total votes: 169

Sirmia
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Budapest. Hungary.

Post by Sirmia »

QWERTZ.
User avatar
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4933
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Away from home (once again)
Contact:

Post by Jes »

mine is qwerty.

I think (still) there are no many computers that understand voices... :roll:
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
User avatar
the.unknown
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:56 pm
Location: Lier, Belgium

Post by the.unknown »

I've "known" a blind & deaf guy on a internet forum who did everything with that voice technology. His texts looked like they were written by a seeing person.
User avatar
LonaPo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Maribor, Slovenia, EU (2004)
Contact:

Post by LonaPo »

QWERTZ
http://b100w11.sli.si/Lonapo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
User avatar
eurofever
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2687
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:59 pm
Location: Attenhoven
Contact:

Post by eurofever »

azerty :D
Herr Kloßen
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:55 pm
Contact:

Post by Herr Kloßen »

Normally QWERTZ, but just recently I'm trying to get used to the NEO layout (XVLCWK). But this is only recommendable for German text
User avatar
Le Hibou
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:56 pm
Location: Belgio
Contact:

Post by Le Hibou »

I use AZERTY, and I'm quite happy with that, but it's a Belgian version, and it's very irritating because of the following reasons:

1. The numbers on the top row are SHIFT characters! Yes, thats right, I have to press the shift key to type a number, and the caps-lock doesn't change this behaviour :x ... so normally I use the numeric keypad for numbers.

2. The fullstop/period/dot "." is ALSO a SHIFT character. What MORON designed a keyboard where one of the most common punctuation marks is a shift-combination???? :x :evil:

3. The open-bracket "(" is not shifted, and lies under the 5 key, but its partner the close-bracket ")" is miles away, to the right of the zero key. I grew up using an English Qwerty keyboard, and I'm used to brackets being SHIFT combinations, which is surely sensible as they are less common than fullstops. So I often mistype brackets (like this) 5like this°. :x

Here is my top row:

Code: Select all

unshifted:
| ² | & | é | " | ' | ( | § | è | ! | ç | à | ) | - |
shifted:
| ³ | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 0 | ° | _ |
[/size]

And WHAT is that curly monster "§" doing, in prime index-finger position on the top row, unshifted? I don't even know what it MEANS! :!: :!:

It makes me so ANGRY I could SPIT!

And don't even get me STARTED On the Alt-GR combinations!

Is this just some sort of Belgian joke?
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

Le Hibou wrote:I use AZERTY, and I'm quite happy with that, but it's a Belgian version, and it's very irritating because of the following reasons:

1. The numbers on the top row are SHIFT characters! Yes, thats right, I have to press the shift key to type a number, and the caps-lock doesn't change this behaviour :x ... so normally I use the numeric keypad for numbers.

2. The fullstop/period/dot "." is ALSO a SHIFT character. What MORON designed a keyboard where one of the most common punctuation marks is a shift-combination???? :x :evil:

3. The open-bracket "(" is not shifted, and lies under the 5 key, but its partner the close-bracket ")" is miles away, to the right of the zero key. I grew up using an English Qwerty keyboard, and I'm used to brackets being SHIFT combinations, which is surely sensible as they are less common than fullstops. So I often mistype brackets (like this) 5like this°. :x

Here is my top row:

Code: Select all

unshifted:
| ² | & | é | " | ' | ( | § | è | ! | ç | à | ) | - |
shifted:
| ³ | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 0 | ° | _ |
[/size]

And WHAT is that curly monster "§" doing, in prime index-finger position on the top row, unshifted? I don't even know what it MEANS! :!: :!:

It makes me so ANGRY I could SPIT!

And don't even get me STARTED On the Alt-GR combinations!

Is this just some sort of Belgian joke?
That's actually a French joke. You are using a French keyboard, because you're Wallonian and want to have your computer in French language, which is the language you're fluent with. Or, your computer shop has assumed that's how it is.
How's it actually with the Flemish people?

So, the Belgian keyboard is actually a French one. Just like the Finnish keyboard is (was*) the Swedish keyboard. It has the letter Å which isn't ever used in Finnish. Of course it's very useful for the Swedish speaking minority, so whatever :)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
Le Hibou
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:56 pm
Location: Belgio
Contact:

Post by Le Hibou »

Dakkus wrote:That's actually a French joke. You are using a French keyboard, because you're Wallonian and want to have your computer in French language, which is the language you're fluent with. Or, your computer shop has assumed that's how it is.
How's it actually with the Flemish people?

So, the Belgian keyboard is actually a French one. Just like the Finnish keyboard is (was*) the Swedish keyboard. It has the letter Å which isn't ever used in Finnish. Of course it's very useful for the Swedish speaking minority, so whatever :)
Actually, I don't think it's the same as the French one, I did use a French one some years ago, and I don't remember the top-row numbers being shifted - but it was a long time ago, so I could be wrong. Any French users reading this who could clarify that?

As far as the Flemings go, I think that this keyboard is standard throughout Belgium, but it's probably easier for them, as Dutch only has two accented letters, é and ë - and the é is optional since the last spelling reform (in the 1990s I think it was). But maybe the Dutch keyboard is available in Flanders - this is a pretty bog-standard QWERTY arrangement, maybe even the same as the English one - when I was working in Holland, the only problems I had was with quotation marks, but I think this was more of a software configuration issue: to produce a " I had to follow it with a space, which was annoying, but at least the " was in the "right" postion (for me, an English QWERTY user for most of my life).

There must be an easier way of handling this problem, but I'm *****d if I can come up with one!
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

I'm often using a French keyboard because a friend of mine is French. And you indeed need to hold down the shift key if you want to write any numbers. Or a dot, as ; is seen as more important than a dot and that's what you'll get when using the key without shift :)
However, CapsLock does indeed bring the numbers alive, so in that case you don't need the shift. You still need it for the dot, though, as semicolon is naturally a lot more important.
And of course letter M has to be next to L ;)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4933
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Away from home (once again)
Contact:

Post by Jes »

Dakkus wrote:I'm often using a French keyboard because a friend of mine is French. And you indeed need to hold down the shift key if you want to write any numbers. Or a dot, as ; is seen as more important than a dot and that's what you'll get when using the key without shift :)
However, CapsLock does indeed bring the numbers alive, so in that case you don't need the shift. You still need it for the dot, though, as semicolon is naturally a lot more important.
And of course letter M has to be next to L ;)
WOW... :x What a mess!! I become to feeling dizzy...
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”