Shredded banknotes

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

Post Reply
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Shredded banknotes

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

Hehe, I have a collection of shredded bills from around europe, very interesting. I own a jar of 10.000 Belgian Franc notes that have basically been turned to dust, (there are still remains), I own two bricks of French notes from the ceremony on Feb. 17th in Paris at the French Finance Ministry, I have a complete green brick (500F bills) and a pink and orange brick (100F, 200F). I have 8 large packs of shredded German bills (every denomination). I have a jar of shredded Finnish markkaa, shredded escudos, shredded Lira, Shredded Pesetas, shredded Schillings. I also own shredded euro by the Deutsche Bundesbank, most shreds are mixed quite a bit in that one. Any of you have shredded notes?
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:05 am
Location: Loulé/Lisboa

Post by BogPoet »

No, but it should be quite interesting to have some of those over my fireplace at home (just kidding - I don't have a fireplace ;)). Just for kicks, how much did they cost (if anything at all?)
Tracking (again) Image
User avatar
barclay
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:00 pm

Post by barclay »

I once saw a park bench totally made out of old Fl10 noes from the Netherlands..
It was made of 100.000 shredded notes with a value of 1.000.000 guilders (about EUR 450.000)

I can't remember where I saw it..
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

BogPoet wrote:No, but it should be quite interesting to have some of those over my fireplace at home (just kidding - I don't have a fireplace ;)). Just for kicks, how much did they cost (if anything at all?)
I have friends around the central banks in Finland, Portugal, Belgium, Italy, Spain. These shreds were not available to the public, but the french bricks were handed out at a invitation ceremony in France and the green brick is worth 150€ in online auction.The German notes are readily available at the Bundesbank for 60 euro total for 1000 shredded notes of each denomination. (I bought at online auction, cost me 20€)
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

barclay wrote:I once saw a park bench totally made out of old Fl10 noes from the Netherlands..
It was made of 100.000 shredded notes with a value of 1.000.000 guilders (about EUR 450.000)

I can't remember where I saw it..
Where they shredded newer 10s (mulitcolour) or the older one?
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
HNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:11 am
Location: The Netherlands

Post by HNL »

10's of 1997 (new).
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

HNL wrote:10's of 1997 (new).

How would you know? :?
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

barclay wrote:I once saw a park bench totally made out of old Fl10 noes from the Netherlands..
It was made of 100.000 shredded notes with a value of 1.000.000 guilders (about EUR 450.000)

I can't remember where I saw it..
That's great! In case you remember where it is please post it here! :)

I have shredded German marks once worth 25'000 DEM. It is pressed in a cylindric form and bears a sticker that says "The D-mark is going, the euro is coming".
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

From Germany I have the "Millionenbrikett"(1.000.000 DM block made entirely of 1.000 DM shreds, the 500.000 DM block (made of 500 DM bills, 250.000DM block(made of 200DM, 100.000DM block made of 100DM, a bag of 1000 50 DM bills, a bag of 1000 20DM bills, a bag of 1000 10DM bills, a bag of 1000 5 DM bills. 1.935.000 DM total. :lol:
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
HNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:11 am
Location: The Netherlands

Post by HNL »

eurobillsandcoins wrote:How would you know? :?
It was some "art" of Jan Wolkers. I'll try to find some more information later.
User avatar
Annie_in_exile
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by Annie_in_exile »

Several months ago I saw some folders/binders which were covered with a thin layer of shredded notes from all over Europe. I thought they were a bit too expensive at that time, but in hindsight I wish I had bought a couple of them anyway. Would have been nice to keep one's bank statements in them.
phrenzy

Re: Shredded banknotes

Post by phrenzy »

Sorry t bump your forum uninvited but I was wondering what the status and availability of shredded euro is? I kow theres still alot of old currency floating about but what about notes that would otherwise be legal tender if they werent in a couple dozen pieces?
User avatar
Kleman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16834
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:24 am
Location: Bordeaux
Contact:

Re: Shredded banknotes

Post by Kleman »

Spam ! :roll:
Mes stats

Monde: 28
France :flag-fr: : 1
Local (Bordeaux): 1

MILLIONNAIRE !!!

Notes: 1 225 842
Hits: 2353

Dans 9534 villes de 28 pays
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”