Polls Polls Polls

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

What do you think about polls?

Usefull
1
2%
Way to many
1
2%
Have no real opinion about them
2
4%
Please stop those stupid polls!!!
1
2%
Funny
13
26%
Polls? What polls?
2
4%
Is this a pollsite or a eurotrack site?
1
2%
More More More I need more polls!!!
13
26%
Some interesting, others way to lame
15
30%
I don't enter any of them
1
2%
 
Total votes: 50

User avatar
Mr Euro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2396
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:59 am
Location: Hasselt - Belgium

Polls Polls Polls

Post by Mr Euro »

Polling about polls.
User avatar
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Re: Polls Polls Polls

Post by emmem »

Mr Euro wrote:Polling about polls.
This one had not that many options.

But I'm still missing the "I always think twice before submitting my vote" option :D
User avatar
Sneakster
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:42 pm
Location: Breda,The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Sneakster »

I always vote in whatever poll, no matter what topic. Seems to me most of the polls have rather interesting topics.
But I also do enjoy the more humorous ones! :lol:

Sneakster
User avatar
Edwin
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:08 pm
Location: Arnhem, Netherlands

Re: Polls Polls Polls

Post by Edwin »

Mr Euro wrote:Polling about polls.
Is this a pollsite or a eurotrack site?
I've voted for this one, but also could have choosen the 'stop these stupid polls' option. If the polls don't have anything to do with Eurobill tracking OR this forum I think they should go into the off-topic forum or the test forum.

There are way to many polls :(
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

It's also a mistake to write useful with double-L.
User avatar
Edwin
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:08 pm
Location: Arnhem, Netherlands

Post by Edwin »

Craft wrote:I think there's no reason to be irritated on polls or other thread topics. You can always pass by the ones that don't interest you. They may interest or amuse many others - we have different views and I think it's good.

BTW, has anyone any explanation why nowadays people very often write 'to' when there should be 'too', for example 'Way to many' when it should be 'Way too many'? Is it only an error or a fashion thing?
In this cas it was just an typo. :oops:
User avatar
Edwin
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:08 pm
Location: Arnhem, Netherlands

Post by Edwin »

Edwin wrote:
Craft wrote:I think there's no reason to be irritated on polls or other thread topics. You can always pass by the ones that don't interest you. They may interest or amuse many others - we have different views and I think it's good.

BTW, has anyone any explanation why nowadays people very often write 'to' when there should be 'too', for example 'Way to many' when it should be 'Way too many'? Is it only an error or a fashion thing?
In this cas it was just an typo. :oops:. Working extra hours (getting up at 4 am) for the last two weeks, and typing on an old keyboard isn't helping.
User avatar
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by emmem »

micro wrote:It's also a mistake to write useful with double-L.
A mistake I made a while ago was to write almost with 2 L’s.

I’m afraid I got many bills with allmost written somewhere in the comments.
Guest

Post by Guest »

The English speakers of this forum have been politely silent about us second-language speakers' errors but now I'd really like to hear what the feelings are among speakers of English as their mother tongue, about their language being "mutilated" by the rest of the world. You don't have to comment on this forum, and you can comment on the general views rather than your own -- so no-one will be offended, ok? :x :( :| :? :) :D

--jaker
User avatar
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:44 pm
Location: Vicenza, Italy, EU

Post by pinguino79 »

This is my guess (but matt.berlin knows better): native English-speakers are used to see their language mistreated by non-native speakers, so they don't care so much about mistakes.
BTW, native English-speakers are just lucky bastards :)
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6191
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by avij »

Craft wrote:In USA they have begun to use 'thru' instead of 'through', and I have seen some other cases like that, so I thought this could be a similar fashion...
You make it sound like they have just recently started using that spelling for 'through' but in fact it has been like that for ages. It's one of the several well-known American English <-> British English differences, quite a long list of those can be found here. You did know that they spell 'colour', 'grey', 'licence' etc differently, didn't you? I try to use the "proper" English spelling whenever there is a choice, especially when I'm communicating with someone across the Atlantic :)

Btw, it shows that you've worked with native English speakers, your English is remarkably fluent.
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6191
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by avij »

Craft wrote:Actually I don't (didn't) know whether they have been using the short form just for some years or decades, or even centuries.
Google to the rescue! (man, I've used Google extensively today..)

Seems like thru has been in use in U.S. since 1876, that's why your selection of the word begun caught my attention. Chicago Tribune stopped using the shortened form in 1975 and apparently started using through again. Interestingly enough, through seems to be the preferred spelling at the moment. I tried searching for past stories on New York Times and got tons of results for through but none for thru.
Craft wrote:'gal' meaning girl.
I think our English study book in school was named Guys'n Gals or something like that..
Craft wrote:BTW, Avij, may I ask: are you a native Finn or just living in Finland?
Sure, I'm a native Finn. What makes you ask that? Our minor arguments in the Finnish forum perhaps? :lol:
User avatar
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by emmem »

I sometimes use my spellchecker one what I post. But sometimes I forget to do it.

Anyway. What annoys me sometimes are those people using u instead of you, 4 instead of for, c instead of see.
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6191
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by avij »

It was our national railroad company, I remember those ads as well. I think they were advertising the new InterCity trains, but the emphasis was on that 1337-speak. I'll just have to wonder who their target audience was :)
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

avij wrote:...thru has been in use in U.S. since 1876...
I think 'thru' is (and probably has been) always colloquial use like in ads, but that's just an assumption.
What I like most in the US is the 'PedXing' which sounds rather Chinese but is an abbreviation for pedestrian crossing.
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”