Polls Polls Polls
Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer
Polls Polls Polls
Polling about polls.
- emmem
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 974
- Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
- Location: Brussels
- Contact:
Re: Polls Polls Polls
This one had not that many options.Mr Euro wrote:Polling about polls.
But I'm still missing the "I always think twice before submitting my vote" option
- Edwin
- Euro-Regular in Training

- Posts: 91
- Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:08 pm
- Location: Arnhem, Netherlands
Re: Polls Polls Polls
Mr Euro wrote:Polling about polls.
I've voted for this one, but also could have choosen the 'stop these stupid polls' option. If the polls don't have anything to do with Eurobill tracking OR this forum I think they should go into the off-topic forum or the test forum.Is this a pollsite or a eurotrack site?
There are way to many polls
- Edwin
- Euro-Regular in Training

- Posts: 91
- Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:08 pm
- Location: Arnhem, Netherlands
In this cas it was just an typo.Craft wrote:I think there's no reason to be irritated on polls or other thread topics. You can always pass by the ones that don't interest you. They may interest or amuse many others - we have different views and I think it's good.
BTW, has anyone any explanation why nowadays people very often write 'to' when there should be 'too', for example 'Way to many' when it should be 'Way too many'? Is it only an error or a fashion thing?
- Edwin
- Euro-Regular in Training

- Posts: 91
- Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:08 pm
- Location: Arnhem, Netherlands
In this cas it was just an typo.Edwin wrote:Craft wrote:I think there's no reason to be irritated on polls or other thread topics. You can always pass by the ones that don't interest you. They may interest or amuse many others - we have different views and I think it's good.
BTW, has anyone any explanation why nowadays people very often write 'to' when there should be 'too', for example 'Way to many' when it should be 'Way too many'? Is it only an error or a fashion thing?
-
Guest
The English speakers of this forum have been politely silent about us second-language speakers' errors but now I'd really like to hear what the feelings are among speakers of English as their mother tongue, about their language being "mutilated" by the rest of the world. You don't have to comment on this forum, and you can comment on the general views rather than your own -- so no-one will be offended, ok?

--jaker
--jaker
- pinguino79
- Euro-Expert in Training

- Posts: 313
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:44 pm
- Location: Vicenza, Italy, EU
This is my guess (but matt.berlin knows better): native English-speakers are used to see their language mistreated by non-native speakers, so they don't care so much about mistakes.
BTW, native English-speakers are just lucky bastards
BTW, native English-speakers are just lucky bastards
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.
- avij
- Forum Moderator

- Posts: 6191
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
- Location: Helsinki Finland
- Contact:
You make it sound like they have just recently started using that spelling for 'through' but in fact it has been like that for ages. It's one of the several well-known American English <-> British English differences, quite a long list of those can be found here. You did know that they spell 'colour', 'grey', 'licence' etc differently, didn't you? I try to use the "proper" English spelling whenever there is a choice, especially when I'm communicating with someone across the AtlanticCraft wrote:In USA they have begun to use 'thru' instead of 'through', and I have seen some other cases like that, so I thought this could be a similar fashion...
Btw, it shows that you've worked with native English speakers, your English is remarkably fluent.
- avij
- Forum Moderator

- Posts: 6191
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
- Location: Helsinki Finland
- Contact:
Google to the rescue! (man, I've used Google extensively today..)Craft wrote:Actually I don't (didn't) know whether they have been using the short form just for some years or decades, or even centuries.
Seems like thru has been in use in U.S. since 1876, that's why your selection of the word begun caught my attention. Chicago Tribune stopped using the shortened form in 1975 and apparently started using through again. Interestingly enough, through seems to be the preferred spelling at the moment. I tried searching for past stories on New York Times and got tons of results for through but none for thru.
I think our English study book in school was named Guys'n Gals or something like that..Craft wrote:'gal' meaning girl.
Sure, I'm a native Finn. What makes you ask that? Our minor arguments in the Finnish forum perhaps?Craft wrote:BTW, Avij, may I ask: are you a native Finn or just living in Finland?
