Polymer euro banknotes?

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Should euro banknotes be made of polymer (plastic)?

Yes, all denominations.
59%
Yes, but only small denominations (5, 10, 20).
13%
No.
28%

Total votes: 102

RFW
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Polymer euro banknotes?

Post by RFW »

Hi to everyone! Just wondering: Australian polymer banknotes seem to work fine. Should we have polymer banknotes in Europe?
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Polymer euro banknotes?

Post by Jes »

I like polymer banknotes 8)

Who knows what may be decided for next euro-note series :roll:
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

Well, from an EBT point of view, the notes (especially the smaller denominations) will not deteriorate as quickly as they do now, so hits will be longer with these "plastic" notes.
gatoulis
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by gatoulis »

I believe that the next series of banknotes will not be 100% polymer but they will be Hybrid!!
Just like Bermuda new banknote series, or Bulgarian commemorative banknote of 20L....

It will be a good thing for EU! the notes will last longer, and maybe will not cost as much as the polymer ones!
I am wondering if polymer notes are still beeing prodused only in Australia! I think that most of the Asian countries are making their polymer notes in Australia!

Anyway... I voted yes to polymer! :lol:
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

gatoulis wrote:I believe that the next series of banknotes will not be 100% polymer but Hybrid!!
I hope you're right! :o
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
RFW
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by RFW »

gatoulis wrote: I am wondering if polymer notes are still beeing prodused only in Australia!
This article from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_ne ... #Banknotes says that 20 Israeli shekel banknote is printed by Orell Fuessli Security Printing of Zürich, Switzerland.
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

Jes wrote:
gatoulis wrote:I believe that the next series of banknotes will not be 100% polymer but Hybrid!!
I hope you're right! :o
Then I must disappoint you. Three years ago, at the meeting in Frankfurt we had a presentation at the ECB, and the spokesman said that they will stick to the current cotton bills, because such bills can carry more security features than polymer bills.

[conspiracy mode]
I believe the printers have a hand in this. They want the bills to wear out as soon as possible, so they can print many more bills to replace the worn out bills, and thus make more money...
[/conspiracy mode]
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

Oh, well... :|

[top secret mode]I like your conspiracy theory :lol: [/top secret mode]
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Elmo wrote:Three years ago, at the meeting in Frankfurt we had a presentation at the ECB, and the spokesman said that they will stick to the current cotton bills, because such bills can carry more security features than polymer bills.
Yes and no. No polymer notes are planned; while it is correct that they can be produced outside Australia, the technology would still have to be licensed. (Here http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2 ... money.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a recent example from Canada.) However, about a year ago various newspapers reported that there are plans to add a thin protective layer. Not exactly new from a Dutch perspective http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/3872 ... gje__.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but the new notes would still feel a little different ...

Christian
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing :)
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

I cast my vote on 'No'. I have a few polymer notes from various countries, but I'm not very impressed by them. Paper (cotton) notes feel like more serious money. This may be a bit old-fashioned preference and a matter of habit.

The current euro notes would certainly benefit from some means of increasing their durability. Especially the security thread makes the paper tear easily along the thread's edge, but the paper is rather hard and brittle elsewhere, too. Adding a layer of some reinforcing substance might improve the notes, as mentioned above.
eurofederal

Post by eurofederal »

I travel extensively to OZ and NZ and I like the "plastic" notes because they seem more difficult to counterfeit HOWEVER, they easily pop out of your wallets , which makes it annoying. What our Central Bank should do first is revamp the design of the euro notes, gosh! They are so unattractive. Europe has so much to offer....We could have our famous musicians, playwrights or even monuments on them. I am sure Europeans could easily agree on who and what......maybe we should adopt the portrait of the queen on one of our bills to make it easier for our fellow UK eurocitizens to adopt the euro as well....Time to change....Polymer? YES, NEw design? YES, YES, YES. :D
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

eurofederal wrote:What our Central Bank should do first is revamp the design of the euro notes, gosh! They are so unattractive. Europe has so much to offer....We could have our famous musicians, playwrights or even monuments on them. I am sure Europeans could easily agree on who and what......maybe we should adopt the portrait of the queen on one of our bills to make it easier for our fellow UK eurocitizens to adopt the euro as well....Time to change....Polymer? YES, NEw design? YES, YES, YES. :D
Except we already know that the next series of euro notes will basically have the same designs as the current one. As for all those famous people, in my opinion EUrope is not ready for that - in fact, even "less ready" today than a couple of years ago. We would have endless debates about why there are no people or monuments from this or that country on the notes, or why Dante is on the €100 note while Goethe is only on the €50 note, and so on, possibly followed by the usual stuff about the Evil Brussels Empire etc.

As for the portrait of the Queen, yes, it should be on the notes. On notes that say "Bank of England" and "Pounds". :) The currency union is not all that stable anyway in my opinion, and the last thing it needs is a member that would primarily destabilize it.

Christian

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”