What is your favourite airline?

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

What is your favourite airline?

British Airways
4
8%
KLM
8
15%
Lufthansa
1
2%
Air Canada
0
No votes
United Airlines
0
No votes
Singapore Airlines
1
2%
Cathay Pacific
2
4%
Air France
2
4%
Finnair
11
21%
Other Airlines
23
44%
 
Total votes: 52

User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

What is your favourite airline?

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

Vote for best airline here. Please say why and talk about service, meals and so on. If airline isn't listed, say which one and explain why. Also, include the WORST airline.
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

I choose Cathay Pacific as I have flown with them for years, business, economy, and first class I've all been on. The lounges in Hong Kong are absolutely exquisite. The seats are a little cramped in economy, however you get your own TV on all flights, and select your own entertainment. The meals are way better than normal other airline meals in economy, business class is wonderful, champagne, caviar, smoked salmon, cheeses are served non-stop, whenever you want. And their business class, you can recline up to 173 degrees and get some sleep.
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
Viperazzi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1632
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:26 pm

Post by Viperazzi »

I've only flown with Finnair from the above list, and I don't like their services, prices, company image and partial monopoly. Besides, I can't understand how they fly from Helsinki to Rovaniemi or even to Tampere with an almost empty Boeing MD-80 and then on the other hand fly with a Boeing 757 to Thailand and the US (with a stop in Jaipur or Bangalore and Bangor)!

I guess I'm not the one who is supposed to answer this poll, but I kinda liked USAir when I travelled from Norfolk, Virginia to JFK. The plane was great (a DeHavilland Dash 8), service was great and I was treated very well. The other way around, when I flew TWA Regional or something like that, was completely different. The plane looked like a business jet without the jet engine and had three seats in a row. I felt really crammed there, but at least I had good company.

I would love to fly somewhere outside Europe, but I hate to sit in a crammy widebody plane for more than four hours. New York to Helsinki and the other way around was something I haven't forgotten. You can't feel your legs and you can't get any sleep. The noise from the engines is horrible and other people keep talking and laughing. I would hate to have to fly a long non-stop route. :( Airplanes aren't made for enjoyment. (And business class is made only for rich people or company employees :evil:)

I guess my favorite airline would then be USAir, followed by Austrian. I remember getting excellent service from a stewardess when I was very young. With all due respect, Finnair...
User avatar
Aaron
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2097
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:05 pm
Location: Hämeenlinna / Finland

Post by Aaron »

Osku-82 wrote:I've only flown with Finnair from the above list, and I don't like their services, prices, company image and partial monopoly.
Exactly! I don't like Finnair. Especially because the staff is impolite and annoying. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I flew last summer by Spanair from Frankfurt to Madrid and back. I have to say the flights were my most enjoyable flights ever! The staff was kind and the planes were comfortable and modern.

What was funny, the planes left both times 15 - 30 min late but arrived well on time. They had counted in some kind of a delay to their schedules. :?
Kedvenc állatam a hörcsög; ha rálépek, szörcsög.
User avatar
Ernst
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 6:13 pm
Location: Frankfurt a. M.

Post by Ernst »

My favorite airline is Germanwings, it is not a big one, and belongs to the low cost sector (owned by Lufthansa). What I like about it is the very uncomplicated way they operate (in contrast to Ryanair e.g.) and they have clean airplanes with comfortable seats....

Worst airline: clearly Delta!
User avatar
!Pretfles!
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1693
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:20 pm
Location: Mechelen (Flanders,Belgium)
Contact:

Post by !Pretfles! »

I never used one of the above airlines,

I've only flew with Wizz Air regularly, which is a Hungarian low cost airline,
works very good for going to Budapest,
the fly from a liitlle airport in Belgium (Charleroi aka Brussels South)
I'm happy with their service.
My Flickr
Personal Blog
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
('.)_('.) webpage to help him gain world domination.
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

Aaron wrote: I flew last summer by Spanair from Frankfurt to Madrid and back. I have to say the flights were my most enjoyable flights ever! The staff was kind and the planes were comfortable and modern.
This is about a complete opposite to what I think of SpanAir.
It was my first flight ever. The plane was quite a small one. We were taken to it by a bus from the terminal and when we climbed the stairs in the back of the plane, one schoolboy was enough to make the whole plane go whoo-whaa by jumping just a little bit.
When we got inside, I saw one inside wall having a hole apparently rusted through. The hole had a diameter of a bit over 10cm and went through the wall.
The wings went up-and-down-we-go all the time as if the plane thought it was some kind of a bird having to move its wings all the time to keep up. The wings were like some liquorice candy bars.
In one part of the trip the captain came out of the cockpit. His shirt was open and he had a lot of long, black chest hair. He looked like a walrus.
The food was what the plane food always is and the flight was bumpy (although that of course wasn't because of the company).

I also flew back to Finland from Malaga with the exactly same plane.. The positive side: When I ended up being alive after all that, I'm no way going to be afraid of anything that has something to do with flying :))

And then my favourite company: it surely is one of the cheap ones, because I don't see any reason for being too expensive. From those cheapies, I've only taken V Bird, which was very pleasant. The planes were all good and the crew was very nice. The only problem was the way they pronounced letters k and g making their German and English almost ununderstandable.. Krrghgrgr and so on :D
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

!Pretfles! wrote:I never used one of the above airlines,

I've only flew with Wizz Air regularly, which is a Hungarian low cost airline,
works very good for going to Budapest,
Is the service in the low cost companies as good as in the others?
I always fly on Air Canada. The price is OK, but the service is getting worse and worse. I can't afford Air France.
User avatar
!Pretfles!
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1693
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:20 pm
Location: Mechelen (Flanders,Belgium)
Contact:

Post by !Pretfles! »

I've flown to Budapest with Malev (national Hungarian company)
and the service I had with them or whith Wizzair was the same

The only thing is that you don't have lunch with Wizzair, bur I don't mind for a 2 hour flight.
It saves me 250€ and airline food isn't worth that much :wink:
My Flickr
Personal Blog
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
('.)_('.) webpage to help him gain world domination.
User avatar
Fundamental
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:57 am
Location: Tampere, Finland
Contact:

Post by Fundamental »

I just loved the South African airlines! Wonderful service and nice plains! Nothing to complain about Ryanair either..
User avatar
Fireball
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:29 pm
Contact:

Post by Fireball »

Ryanair! cheap
User avatar
Van Geel
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Gent, Flanders (BE)
Contact:

Post by Van Geel »

Icelandair: a friendly crew, the food was OK and we arrived on time.

Check it out: www.icelandair.com
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

British Airways: On a long-distance flight I asked for a seat with more leg space after take-off and they gave me one in a higher class. Nice!

Pakistan airlines had fluffy red carpet on the walls.

Ryanair: Add 4 hours for bus rides to every flight because the airports they serve are ridiculously far away from everything.

With Easyjet I had the bumpiest landing of my life.

Worst airlines: The ones whose passengers applaude when the wheels touch the ground. Brrr!
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

Someone should make a poll about favourite aircraft. I can't because I don't know many of them by name. I can only tell that I will vote for Boeing 747.
Viperazzi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1632
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:26 pm

Post by Viperazzi »

micro wrote:Ryanair: Add 4 hours for bus rides to every flight because the airports they serve are ridiculously far away from everything.
... and subtract at least 200 euros from the price. From some airports you have to take a bus ride (goddamnit, I hate to ride a long-haul bus!!! :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: .) but at least Stansted, their hub, is served just as well as other London airports. I wouldn't call the train "express", though, as it is as "fast" and noisy as a local train. But it's good there's usually enough room for luggage and all.
micro wrote:Worst airlines: The ones whose passengers applaude when the wheels touch the ground. Brrr!
= Finnair leisure flights from Mallorca, Canary Islands etc. :evil: Gosh. That is a moment of deep embarrassment for the stupid applauding folk.
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”