Page 11 of 52
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:29 pm
by lazza
I think I said somewhere above that my view of a visit to a country is to have passed through the countries Customs, as you are then "officially" in a country. So for me, I don't usually count changing flights if I did not exit through Customs in between, but for the purposes of this list I'm happy to include them, and competition or no competition, I want to move up a place

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:44 pm
by eurojuanmi
Le Hibou wrote:Le Hibou wrote:England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland,
Belgium, France, Netherlands, Germany, Spain,
Portugal, Greece, Monaco, San Marino, Malta,
Tunisia, Gambia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland
Hong Kong (before 1999), Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Bahrein (airport),
Austria, Switzerland.
Ooops, I completely forgot about Macau! This was before 1999, when it was a Portuguese colony, in the same way as Hong Kong was a British colony. However, I'm not sure whether being a colony counts as a country. So do I get one more point for Macau, or maybe lose a point for Hong Kong? hmm, but then they would surely both have to count as China which means no change to my score... Damn these colonialists! My revised list:
United Kingdom, Ireland, Belgium, France, Netherlands,
Germany, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Monaco
San Marino, Malta, Tunisia, Gambia, Hungary
Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Singapore, Thailand,
Indonesia, Bahrein (airport), Austria, Switzerland.
That's 24, plus either:-
2 for Hong Kong and Macau - 26 countries, hooray I go up one!
1 for Hong Kong and Macau, both in China - 25 countries, oh well no change.
0 for Hong Kong and Macau, they "belonged" to Britain and Portugal - 24 countries, boo-hoo I go down one!
Seriously, though, this was an interesting question, if you'd asked me casually, in the pub for example, "how many countries have you been to?" I would probably have said, without thinking much about it, "oh, about a dozen". So in fact I was quite surprised myself when I actually counted them.

24, 25 or 26? I don´t know, could someone help us?
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:53 pm
by eurojuanmi
Really this is not a competition, if you want you can say you have been in 100 countries and nobody could say that is a lie.
In my opinion the countries where you have been, are the countries where you have steped, if you want to count the airports count them, but if you don´t want, don´t count them.
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:12 pm
by yli
I am afraid of flying...so, I don't have these airport stops.
In the past I have been only 10 minutes in Croatia, but a few years later I spend more time.
Anyway, from the
42 counties I have visited, I stayed overnight in 39 of these countries.
I only didn't do that in :

Vatican City

Transdnjestrian republic (not int. recognized)
As about the Greenland discussion. I should always count it in this topic, and if it was my opion - it would be better to add these flags. But, the made this UN-policy - so, I won't bother about it to much. But it's weird to enter a note from Tiraspol (Transdnjestrian republic) with an Moldovian flag. I might travel there next september, so will see if I can get euronotes over there.
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:54 pm
by gragox
I'm from Latvia

and I've visited
6 countries writed down here in chronological order :

Latvia (home country 1991 - 2007)

United States (1999)

Lithuania (2001,2004,2006)

Estonia (2002,2005)

Greece (2006)

United Kingdom (2006)(+ intermediate landing in 1999)
Re: How many countries have you visited? (Ranking)
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:57 pm
by JP Simões
eurojuanmi wrote:(aiports stops are included)
Well in that case I have 4 countries (my flight to Wien stopped at Barcelona, but I didn't quite consider it a "visit").
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:51 am
by lmviterbo
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:10 pm
by eurojuanmi
list updated
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:18 pm
by lazza
eurojuanmi wrote:list updated
I am glad you included me twice, as I am undecided as to whether I have been to 30 or 33 countries!

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:04 pm
by wisi
I live in

Germany!
I have been to:
1.

Austria (before the Euro was introduced)
2.

Belgium
3.

Czech Republic
4.

Denmark
5.

Finland (before I became a EBT User)
6.

France (before the Euro was introduced)
7.

Hungary, 1999, Total eclipse
8.
Luxemburg
9.
Netherlands
10.

Poland
11.
Slovakia
12.
United Kingdom
... this it is 13 countries for me!
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:15 am
by eurojuanmi
lazza wrote:eurojuanmi wrote:list updated
I am glad you included me twice, as I am undecided as to whether I have been to 30 or 33 countries!


sorry, that's an error, I will put you 33, but if you want 30 I will put you 30
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:43 pm
by Bender
Update:
I'm from Germany and have visited 8 countries:
Germany (of course)
Netherlands
Belgium
France
Spain
England
Denmark
Sweden
Luxembourg
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:47 pm
by WOLFINAS
Let me see:
For UN Recognized countries I have been in:
Spain
France
Andorra
Portugal
Belgium
Holland
Luxemburg
United Kingdom
Germany
Monaco
Switzerland
Cuba
Guinea Conakry
Turkey
Total: 14 Countries
And a short stop at DAKAR
With airports, 15 countries
But also:
I am from a NON-STATE Country named Catalonia, inside Spain
Also I have been in other NON UN Recognized "countries", like Euskadi, Galicia, Savoya, Borgogna, Cathare Country, the Cantons from Switzerland - that are not countries but has real identity -, the sea border lands of Guinea and the Guinean Highlands (same UN Country but different kind of country, different language and diferent racials (ethnics) Groups), etc.
This ones counts?
Could we start a NON UN COUNTRY visited list?
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:24 pm
by eurojuanmi
WOLFINAS wrote:Let me see:
For UN Recognized countries I have been in:
Spain
France
Andorra
Portugal
Belgium
Holland
Luxemburg
United Kingdom
Germany
Monaco
Switzerland
Cuba
Guinea Conakry
Turkey
Total: 14 Countries
And a short stop at DAKAR
With airports, 15 countries
But also:
I am from a NON-STATE Country named Catalonia, inside Spain
Also I have been in other NON UN Recognized "countries", like Euskadi, Galicia, Savoya, Borgogna, Cathare Country, the Cantons from Switzerland - that are not countries but has real identity -, the sea border lands of Guinea and the Guinean Highlands (same UN Country but different kind of country, different language and diferent racials (ethnics) Groups), etc.
This ones counts?
Could we start a NON UN COUNTRY visited list?
I think that would be very difficult, because how I know Catalonia or Galicia is a non UN country and why not Valencia or Madrid?
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:26 pm
by WOLFINAS
Yes, I Agree...
I have been in Madrid also (only airports and some restaurant), Also Valencia (Nice feast), Aragón (in a wedding and travelling across his nice mountains), Navarra (really good food and feast), Baleares (you must to be careful about the zones. The best and the worst are there), and Val D'Aran (a really proud country)...
This is the reason why I propose a ranking of Non UN Countries....
The fisrt task is to determine who are a Country. In Spain are really easy (You must only to see history), but in Africa is a bit more difficult...
May be interesting, don't you think?