Page 4 of 7

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:12 am
by maarsy
found this one in mi til yesterday


http://www.numiscollect.eu/plaatjes/big ... 1pound.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:roll: i need to teach the staff more about mony

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:29 am
by zarazek
I don't live in the euro area but here in the :flag-uk: UK I've been given an Icelandic coin which looked like £1 and which I then found difficult to get rid of :)
I've also got a coin from Gibraltar and Jersey (if I remember correctly) but I guess they are legal tender over here.

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am
by tabbs
zarazek wrote:I don't live in the euro area but here in the :flag-uk: UK I've been given an Icelandic coin which looked like £1 and which I then found difficult to get rid of :)
I've also got a coin from Gibraltar and Jersey (if I remember correctly) but I guess they are legal tender over here.
Guess what you got was a 50 kr coin (with a crab); roughly the same size and "color" as a £1 coin but not that thick ... and worth about 25 pence. Well, the design is nice but I would not give you £1 or €1 for it either. :mrgreen:

British coins are legal tender in Jersey and Guernsey for example, but not the other way round. Then again, Channel Islands coins are from the very same sterling area that England and Scotland are part of, they have same value and basically the same technical specifications as their British counterparts, so quite a few people will accept them.

Do you come across euro coins and notes where you are, or do you regularly travel to the euro area? Just wondering ...

Christian

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:25 am
by zarazek
You're absolutely right about the Icelandic coin - it was a 50 kronur piece.
As for the Gibraltar coin, it's a 20p piece from 2007 (with a set of keys on the obverse), couldn't find the other coin from the Channel Islands so it's probably gone.

Well, I don't think I've ever been given change in euro here but I have seen a coin from Spain lying on the pavement a long time ago (which I obviously picked up :)

Where I live, I come across banknotes from an other Pound-zone country, namely England :)) I've also heard of people finding N Irish notes but I've not been this lucky.
I have travelled to countries that use the euro but these days, regrettably, I don't do it often.

Tell me, does the NW in your Location field stand for Nordrhein Westfalen? Just being nosy :)

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:28 am
by tabbs
You got that right. :) I am in North Rhine Westphalia, and the abbreviation "NRW" is more common here. But NW is the actual ISO code, and looks better when combined with two other two-character codes, I think.

So welcome to the EuroBillTracker forum site! Do you get euro coins or notes from swappers maybe? I suppose that, if you did not have anything to do with the euro, you would not be here ...

Christian

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:00 am
by androl
I found this coin in a roll of 5c coins (from 1999)

Image

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:42 am
by androl
so what foreign coins did people or machines actually accept as euro coins?

1c:
Germany 1 pfennig
Image

2c:
USA 1 cent
Image
Slovakia 50 halierov
Image
Germany 2 pfennig
Image

5c:
Brasil 5 centavos
Image
United Kingdom 1 penny
Image
South Africa 10 cents ??? which one?
South Afrika 5 cents
Image

10c:
Brazil 10 centavos
Image
(Mexico 20 centimos)
Image
France 10 centimes
Image
(Uruguay 1 peso)
(Mexico 10 centavos) ???
Image
Yugoslavia 1 dinar
Image

20c:
Slovenia 1 tolar
Image

50c:
Yugoslavia 5 dinar
Image
USA 1/4 dollar
Image

1€:
France 10 francs
Image
Bulgaria 1 lev
Image
(Bahrain 100 fils)
Syria 25 pounds
Image
Jamaica 20 dollars
Image

2€:
Italy 500 lire
Image
Italy 50 lire ??
Image
Thailand 10 baht
Image
Turkey 1 new lira
Image
(Iran 500 rial)
Image
Egypt 1 pound
Image

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:08 pm
by Jes
My uncle found a 20 dollar coin from Jamaica. it is identical in diameter, shape, colour, weight (apparently) and even its edges are equal!! 8O

He confused it with a €-coin from a "weird country" (he thought it was from San Marino or something strange, untill he read "jamaica" :lol: )

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:13 pm
by Jes
I found an image on the internet.

Not very good though, but just to give you an idea. I will try to get some fere time to make a picture myself of the coin, along with a 1€ just to show you ;)
41946338_1.jpg
41946338_1.jpg (13.84 KiB) Viewed 13371 times
:D

Coins that look like Euro coins.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:18 pm
by BCNumismatics
Jes,
That is a $20 coin,not a $5 coin.

The Jamaican $5 coin is a silver colour.

Aidan.

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:20 pm
by Jes
BCNumismatics wrote:Jes,
That is a $20 coin,not a $5 coin.

The Jamaican $5 coin is a silver colour.

Aidan.
Jep, true. I don't know what I was thinking about. Thanx :D

Corrected ;)

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:09 pm
by Pim
I found this "1 euro" coin in my wallet, in Ireland:
It's Syria 25 Pounds..

Image
Image

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:27 pm
by tabbs
At least the piece is nicely designed. ;) Does it have the same size as a €1 coin?

Christian

Coins that look like Euro coins.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:27 pm
by BCNumismatics
Christian,
The Syrian coin looks bigger than a 1 Euro coin,& smaller than the 2 Euro coin.

I've seen a couple of examples of this coin in the past couple of years.

Aidan.

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:21 pm
by tabbs
Ah, thanks! I saw it listed and depicted in androl's post above but had no idea about the diameter ...

Christian