Where do you go this summer...?

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

Where are you this summer...?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:40 pm

I don't go on vacation
4
11%
I will stay in my own country
8
22%
I will be in Europe
22
59%
I will be in North-America
1
3%
I will be in South-America
1
3%
I will be in Africa
1
3%
I will be in Asia
0
No votes
I will be in the pacific (including Australia and New Zeeland)
0
No votes
I will be somewhere else!
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 37

User avatar
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4242
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:16 pm
Location: Leiden (Netherlands)

Post by Elmo »

Skylimit wrote: Then the next day you lose a lot of time in Switzerland, especially with heavy rain (only 100 km/h possible)
And also at the Gotthard-tunnel. Since an accident happened there (±10 deaths) they have put traffic lights at both ends to decrease the number of cars in the tunnel. Last summer I went to Tuscany through Switzerland and on the journey to Tuscany we had spent more than 2 hours standing still in front of the Gotthard-tunnel :x :evil: . And on the journey back home we had spent 1,5 hours at the Italian-Swiss border and later on more than 2 hours in front of the Gotthard-tunnel :x :evil: . In both cases it was better to take the pass instead of the tunnel... :!:
So you had not better go to Tuscany through Switzerland, Skylimit. You should go through Austria instead (the Brennerpass). :idea:
User avatar
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14790
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by Fons »

micro wrote:
Fons wrote: Micro: How do you get all those pictures, Just searching with google?
I searched Google for ferry connections and found this page: http://www.skandinavienreisen.de/Faehrv ... dungen.htm. When I saw all the images on that page I got an idea :idea: on how to drive to Finland. My parents once took me along on a trip when the bridge between Denmark and Sweden was new. :)
I've also been over that bridge Image , (I went to Norway many times, and since that bridge is there we cross it almost every summer (and 2 yers ago I went three times to Norway Image ), but not last summer (I didn't went to Norway Image :wink: )
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

On Friday at lunch, I booked a 3 night stay in Bruxelles, Belgium and after 3 nights in München, Germany and finally 4 nights in Roma, Italy. Pretty convenient! Just one currency!!!!!! :wink:
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14790
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by Fons »

eurobillsandcoins wrote:On Friday at lunch, I booked a 3 night stay in Bruxelles, Belgium and after 3 nights in München, Germany and finally 4 nights in Roma, Italy. Pretty convenient! Just one currency!!!!!! :wink:
Did you got any new notes???
User avatar
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14790
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by Fons »

Fons wrote:
micro wrote:
Fons wrote: Micro: How do you get all those pictures, Just searching with google?
I searched Google for ferry connections and found this page: http://www.skandinavienreisen.de/Faehrv ... dungen.htm. When I saw all the images on that page I got an idea :idea: on how to drive to Finland. My parents once took me along on a trip when the bridge between Denmark and Sweden was new. :)
I've also been over that bridge Image , (I went to Norway many times, and since that bridge is there we cross it almost every summer (and 2 yers ago I went three times to Norway Image ), but not last summer (I didn't went to Norway Image :wink: )
In 1995 I went to Sweden with the ferry, and we could see the bridge being build.
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

Fons wrote:
Fons wrote:I've also been over that bridge Image , (I went to Norway many times, and since that bridge is there we cross it almost every summer (and 2 yers ago I went three times to Norway Image ), but not last summer (I didn't went to Norway Image :wink: )
In 1995 I went to Sweden with the ferry, and we could see the bridge being build.
Last year I've been to both Stockholm and Oslo, and I liked either of them very much Image
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

Its not now, actually it will be in July when I get my 15 day consecutive vacation. Theres also already a note to customers not to book appointments with me on those dates. And it wont really matter to me if i get any foreign notes or coins, they are fairl;y common in our branch. It turns out our branch still had boxes and boxes of new french euro coin rolls from Janurary 2002. We even had a few boxes of starter kits left over that we didn't sell. The french government cut off the sales of the starter packs in Janurary 2002. They were told to just open any unsold starter kits and use them regularly. But our head teller was smart and kept them. I bought the 3 boxes back and are planning to sell them on ebay! :D
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
Sneakster
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:42 pm
Location: Breda,The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Sneakster »

eurobillsandcoins wrote: I bought the 3 boxes back and are planning to sell them on ebay! :D
Maybe there are even Eurobilltrackers willing to buy them, I can remember Olivier selling 3 Luxembourg starterkits by auction...
What price do you have in mind to start with?
Btw: what are the contents of such a kit, I mean how many coins of which denomination are in it?

Ps. Maybe it's a good idea :idea: to post this topic in the Euronotes & Coins section...
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

Maybe somewhere like €20 each. I'm going to sell one intact box, break open one box and sell them seperately and im going to keep one uopened box for the future. :D I will sell the box unopened for €415.
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Post by Skylimit »

Elmo wrote: So you had not better go to Tuscany through Switzerland, Skylimit. You should go through Austria instead (the Brennerpass). :idea:
Well, I lost a lot of time in Switzerland two times ... (and in Milan)
And had a fast trip to Austria 2 times, ...,
So maybe a little detour is a good idea ...

thanks for the idea
Time is on our side ...
esperantisto
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:17 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Post by esperantisto »

I'll be in Goeteborg (Gothenburg), Sweden for a week (World Esperanto Conference) and maybe Koebenhavn (Copenhagen), Denmark after that.
Too bad they aren't Euro countries (yet!)...

I wish I could do a month in the Eurozone like last year...

Ah... Luxemburg! I miss it already...
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

esperantisto wrote:World Esperanto Conference
Which language do you speak there? :wink: :wink:
esperantisto
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:17 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Post by esperantisto »

Perfekte flua Esperanton parolas ni, malkiel aliaj "internaciaj" kongresoj, en kiuj oni parolas acx-anglan.

Perfectly fluent Esperanto, unlike other "international" conferences where they speak broken english.
User avatar
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 pm
Location: Turku, Finland, EU

Post by Antti »

But still, it can't be totally fluent can it?
I mean, of course there will be differencies in the ways different people speak, just like when speaking English. This is because esperanto is nobody's native language and thereforth the way people speak esperanto is affected by their native languages. You can't get totally rid of that affection without maybe living among native speakers for a long time, but yet this is not possible for esperanto, and I doubt it will never be.
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

I think that even Esperanto can't be a real world-language.

In the past, there were a lot fewer languages. Look at the Germanic languages, once they were all the same. And after some time they began to speak a little different, and after hundreds of years, we had more than 10 versions if this Germanic.

I think that if Esperanto is ever going to be a world-language, there would be local versions of it aswell after a while.
And after a few generations, people speaking Esperanto in China woudln't be able to understand people speaking Esperanto in America.
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”