Page 1 of 1

Travelling from Spain to Germany... by train?

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:27 pm
by Jes
Hello!
one of my best friends lives now in Germany, and he invited me to his house. He lives in a city called "Erlangen" (near Nuremberg or "Nürmberg")

But I don't know how to go there... planes are quite expensive, buses are quite boring and it is a long trip (I live in Cantabria, near Bilbao in the north of Spain)

So I was wondering... does anyone in this forum know how to go there from Spain? Maybe by train? Does anyone know how does the "Interrail" work?

May be Spanier20 knows...?

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:20 pm
by vermeer

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:27 pm
by Dakkus
The official website of Interrail is here: http://www.interrailnet.com/

You can use this site to find the train timetables. Just put your home city in the other field and Erlangen in the other one.
If that link doesn't work, go to http://bahn.de and press this link: Image

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:01 am
by Jes
I am so glad to recieve your help!!

Thankyou all for your warm reply! I am really happy.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:17 pm
by Dakkus
Just in case.. Here are links to all official websites of railway companies: http://www.railfaneurope.net/links.html
Railfaneurope also includes fotos of every locomotive type in use in Europe.

For railway maps of Europe, see http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/maps.php .

And, FYI, if you choose the advanced search in the Die Bahn search engine I linked to before, you can also see the suggested train routes drawn on a map. It might not be very important to you, but living here in the east I really need it to quickly figure out if I need a visa for the route or not. And when that site asks for your age, just say you're one-year-old. It doesn't really matter.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:05 pm
by groentje
Nope, not in this case. The site can't produce prices for international tickets, unfortunately. Within Germany, however, it can help to fill in your correct age.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:05 pm
by adameus23
Me and two friends are going to do this InterRail-idea in summer holidays!!

It's a great thing: you can travel around where you want to go to!! I think this will be very funny!

And i'll get many dots from all over Europe!!! :D

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:45 pm
by Kleman
i can say to you it's quite easy to pass throw France with train
From Spain==>Irun
Irun==>Paris via Bordeaux (TGV)
Paris==>Germany (TGV Est or Thalys)
:D

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:34 pm
by Herr Kloßen
Kleman wrote:i can say to you it's quite easy to pass throw France with train
From Spain==>Irun
Irun==>Paris via Bordeaux (TGV)
Paris==>Germany (TGV Est or Thalys)
:D
Maybe better Hendaye instead of Irun: The station of the "Topo" (basque coast train) is right next to the TGV station in Hendaye.

Re: Travelling from Spain to Germany... by train?

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:46 pm
by ajax_rotterdam
Jes wrote:planes are quite expensive
According to kayak.com, the cheapest flight between Bilbao and Nurnberg is 202 euro(in august), with Lufthansa.
If i know the dates, i could be more exact.