I call my fries "frites"... for me, they come from Belgium.
Do you call the fries...
Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer
Do you call the fries...
About the (ridiculous) debate about the fries, in the USA (where some pro war want to rename fhe french fries "freedom fries")... what is your opinion?
I call my fries "frites"... for me, they come from Belgium.
I call my fries "frites"... for me, they come from Belgium.
- Tiger
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
- Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
- Contact:
in correct Dutch (but more used in Belgium) it's 'frieten' but in almost every fries-shop they write 'fritten' (the way it's pronounced)
In the Netherlands, they say 'patat' which is the abbreviation of 'patates frites' (at least according to Van Dale dictionary)
In the Netherlands, they say 'patat' which is the abbreviation of 'patates frites' (at least according to Van Dale dictionary)
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
I would call them the way they are called in the country where I want to order them.
In Germany they're called "Pommes Frites" (and pronounced "pomm fritts"), and since my youth I frequently wonder if this pronunciation is correct French. Shouldn't the 's' in 'frites' be silent? Can anyone solve this riddle for me?
In Germany they're called "Pommes Frites" (and pronounced "pomm fritts"), and since my youth I frequently wonder if this pronunciation is correct French. Shouldn't the 's' in 'frites' be silent? Can anyone solve this riddle for me?
You don't pronounce the last S of fritesmicro wrote:I would call them the way they are called in the country where I want to order them.
In Germany they're called "Pommes Frites" (and pronounced "pomm fritts"), and since my youth I frequently wonder if this pronunciation is correct French. Shouldn't the 's' in 'frites' be silent? Can anyone solve this riddle for me?
"FriT" is good
Ranskanperunat = French potatoes, or just shorter 'ranskikset' = the french (note: there is is a diffirent word for French people/language, so the word 'ranskikset' cannot be used to describe them).
And that Freedom Fries thing is very childish, I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it. Wasn't it some congressman/senator from the US who made it up?
And that Freedom Fries thing is very childish, I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it. Wasn't it some congressman/senator from the US who made it up?
- Tiger
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
- Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
- Contact:
In my dictionary they say 'ranskalaiset perunat'.K3lvin wrote:Ranskanperunat = French potatoes, or just shorter 'ranskikset' = the french (note: there is is a diffirent word for French people/language, so the word 'ranskikset' cannot be used to describe them).
What's the difference with 'ranskanperunat' ?
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
There's no really big diffirence, both are used. 'Ranskalaiset perunat' might be more formal, but usually in spoken language, only 'ranskikset' or 'ranskalaiset' are used.Tiger wrote: In my dictionary they say 'ranskalaiset perunat'.
What's the difference with 'ranskanperunat' ?
Last edited by K3lvin on Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- eurobillsandcoins
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 754
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
- Location: Hong Kong SAR
- Contact:
No, no... In France, we say "frites". That's all. Before coming in America, I didn't know the fries had a nationality...K3lvin wrote:Heheurobillsandcoins wrote:I'm french why call em French fries?So do people generally call them French fries or just fries in France? Or Belgian Fries?
EDIT: oh, wait I know already. Pommes frites. What 'pommes' means? Potato?
I suggest that we now call the fries... "Eurofries"!

