A good idea for getting a good track

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus

Post Reply
guest

A good idea for getting a good track

Post by guest »

Why doesnt someone write in small writing www.eurobilltracker.com on a bill?
User avatar
Aaron
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2097
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:05 pm
Location: Hämeenlinna / Finland

Post by Aaron »

I think someone should suggest ECB to print the link to each note. :wink:
User avatar
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4242
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:16 pm
Location: Leiden (Netherlands)

Post by Elmo »

There have been discussions about this on the forum. If you write the link on a bill, the chance to get a hit would increase, you might think. But when you have written on it and the bill ends up at a bank the bill will be taken out of circulation and be destroyed :cry: . So only write the link on bills where something is already written on it :idea: :!:
Last edited by Elmo on Thu May 08, 2003 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:35 pm

Post by Gauss »

Some people have a local office supply store make a stamp with the URL and use this stamp to mark the bills.
Of course, this may shorten the lifetime of the bill considerably as European banks are rigorous at taking defaced (in the wide sense) currency out of circulation, unlike banks in Northern America where the Central Bank system is organized differently.
User avatar
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14790
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by Fons »

guest wrote:Why doesnt someone write in small writing www.eurobilltracker.com on a bill?

Some banks destroy a note when something is written on it,
So I guess you musn't write it big
So just like you said: SMALL
Sometimes I write the URL on a note, but I still didn't got a hit because of an URL on one of my notes, I've got another hit with a note where I dind't put the URL on, I know because when I entered that note I didn't wrote the URL on my notes, I did that later.
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun May 26, 2002 12:06 pm
Location: Frankfurt / Main

Post by Asiamaniac »

I share this opinion: Writing any stuff on a note shortens its lifetime considerably, and that is very contraproductive for us. If at all, then write it on a note which is already in a poor condition so it might be taken out of circulation anyway. Maybe someone else can still read it before it gets to a bank where it will be destroyed.
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by avij »

I've written the URL on just one note -- it was my 1000th note, Italian 20 euro note if I recall correctly. Writing the URL on the note may shorten its life somewhat. My strategy to get more hits is simply to add tons of notes into EBT, one of them will eventually be a hit :)

By the way, on the subject of note lifespan, here's a table of US dollar's average life time:
$ 1 .............. 22 months
$ 5 ................ 2 Years
$ 10................ 3 Years
$ 20 ............... 4 Years
$ 50 ............... 9 Years
$100 .............. 9 Years

So, if eurobills are similar enough to the USDs, it might be possible to register a 50 euro note to EBT now and get an email in 2012 saying that you've got a hit. That'd be cool 8)
User avatar
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 pm
Location: Turku, Finland, EU

Post by Antti »

I've read italians write on their bills more often so maybe they don't remove bills from circulation so easily, so I decided to make a little advert as I'm goin there next week, I wrote the url on the notes I'm taking with me and I'll try to url the notes I get there. Trying to bring some light to the black hole of eurobilltracking
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

Today my dad got a phonecall from his bank, telling him to stop writing little dots on the bills.
I'm the one who does that, so he explained it.
But apparently the bank wasn't really happy. They said writing on notes is considered as destroying property of the state on purpose, and is even prosecutable. 8O

On the EBT site you can read in the FAQ that it isn't illegal, but apparently my father's bank has another opinion about it.

I think I'll just stop writing these dots on my bills, but when I'm absolutely 100% sure it _isn't _ illegal, I just go to that bank telling them to shut the fuck up, with that mail from ECB printed, and that they _have_ to accept my notes whether they like it or not.
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
thomas
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:24 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by thomas »

avij wrote:By the way, on the subject of note lifespan, here's a table of US dollar's average life time:
$ 1 .............. 22 months
$ 5 ................ 2 Years
$ 10................ 3 Years
$ 20 ............... 4 Years
$ 50 ............... 9 Years
$100 .............. 9 Years
I read somewhere, but I forgot where, that 1$ notes last only for 18 months. Where did you get this list?
User avatar
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4270
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
Location: Herentals - Belgium
Contact:

Post by bhoeyb »

Tiger wrote:Today my dad got a phonecall from his bank, telling him to stop writing little dots on the bills.
I'm the one who does that, so he explained it.
But apparently the bank wasn't really happy. They said writing on notes is considered as destroying property of the state on purpose, and is even prosecutable. 8O
8O Wow ... stupid bank :evil: ....
Maybe you can write them at a less visible place like a small dot at a bridge or a dot on the map of Europe at the place you live :D . So it's visible for the next tracker to see directly from where the new hit is comming from :lol: .
Lou Crazy
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:17 am
Location: L'Aquila

Post by Lou Crazy »

Antti wrote:I've read italians write on their bills more often so maybe they don't remove bills from circulation so easily, so I decided to make a little advert as I'm goin there next week, I wrote the url on the notes I'm taking with me and I'll try to url the notes I get there. Trying to bring some light to the black hole of eurobilltracking
Well, there are so few italian people here that you can hardly generalize.

I am currently the active italian with the higher total of bills (but I hope Pinguino69 and The King will become active again!), and I do stamp some notes.
I stamp all E5 notes, most E10 (unless they are mint new), a few E20 (if they are very worn and/or they already have other markings).

Unfortunately, when they did my stamp, they made it quite big; even though it's easy to read, it's very conspicuous.

I registered about 100 unstamped notes (but I wrote a message with a pen on some of them), and about 150 stamped ones; I only got a hit from a stamped note. Note that there are just 2 hits in the whole of Italy, so I'd say that at least in Italy stamping notes will be MUCH helpful.
Unfortunately, the person who registered my note didn't do anything else on EBT :-(

If you hope to have your note registered by an italian, I'd suggest writing something in Italian.
I use this text "Per favore registra questa banconota su www.eurobilltracker.com"

Just the URL won't be much use, I think.

Where in Italy are you going to be?

Gino
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by avij »

thomas wrote:I read somewhere, but I forgot where, that 1$ notes last only for 18 months. Where did you get this list?
http://www.moneyfactory.com/document.cfm/18/106
thomas
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:24 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by thomas »

Thanks avij, for the list and the server.

Thomas
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

Gauss wrote:Some people have a local office supply store make a stamp with the URL and use this stamp to mark the bills.
Of course, this may shorten the lifetime of the bill considerably as European banks are rigorous at taking defaced (in the wide sense) currency out of circulation, unlike banks in Northern America where the Central Bank system is organized differently.
This is very true, franc bills such as the 200,500F notes were replaced very often, it was hard to find one in bad shape. ATMs used to be filled with only new notes, and the French central bank kept replacing bills.
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
Post Reply

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”