Page 1 of 1

Shredded banknotes

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:59 am
by eurobillsandcoins
Hehe, I have a collection of shredded bills from around europe, very interesting. I own a jar of 10.000 Belgian Franc notes that have basically been turned to dust, (there are still remains), I own two bricks of French notes from the ceremony on Feb. 17th in Paris at the French Finance Ministry, I have a complete green brick (500F bills) and a pink and orange brick (100F, 200F). I have 8 large packs of shredded German bills (every denomination). I have a jar of shredded Finnish markkaa, shredded escudos, shredded Lira, Shredded Pesetas, shredded Schillings. I also own shredded euro by the Deutsche Bundesbank, most shreds are mixed quite a bit in that one. Any of you have shredded notes?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:28 am
by BogPoet
No, but it should be quite interesting to have some of those over my fireplace at home (just kidding - I don't have a fireplace ;)). Just for kicks, how much did they cost (if anything at all?)

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:16 pm
by barclay
I once saw a park bench totally made out of old Fl10 noes from the Netherlands..
It was made of 100.000 shredded notes with a value of 1.000.000 guilders (about EUR 450.000)

I can't remember where I saw it..

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:50 pm
by eurobillsandcoins
BogPoet wrote:No, but it should be quite interesting to have some of those over my fireplace at home (just kidding - I don't have a fireplace ;)). Just for kicks, how much did they cost (if anything at all?)
I have friends around the central banks in Finland, Portugal, Belgium, Italy, Spain. These shreds were not available to the public, but the french bricks were handed out at a invitation ceremony in France and the green brick is worth 150€ in online auction.The German notes are readily available at the Bundesbank for 60 euro total for 1000 shredded notes of each denomination. (I bought at online auction, cost me 20€)

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:51 pm
by eurobillsandcoins
barclay wrote:I once saw a park bench totally made out of old Fl10 noes from the Netherlands..
It was made of 100.000 shredded notes with a value of 1.000.000 guilders (about EUR 450.000)

I can't remember where I saw it..
Where they shredded newer 10s (mulitcolour) or the older one?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:21 pm
by HNL
10's of 1997 (new).

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:22 pm
by eurobillsandcoins
HNL wrote:10's of 1997 (new).

How would you know? :?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:19 pm
by micro
barclay wrote:I once saw a park bench totally made out of old Fl10 noes from the Netherlands..
It was made of 100.000 shredded notes with a value of 1.000.000 guilders (about EUR 450.000)

I can't remember where I saw it..
That's great! In case you remember where it is please post it here! :)

I have shredded German marks once worth 25'000 DEM. It is pressed in a cylindric form and bears a sticker that says "The D-mark is going, the euro is coming".

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:26 pm
by eurobillsandcoins
From Germany I have the "Millionenbrikett"(1.000.000 DM block made entirely of 1.000 DM shreds, the 500.000 DM block (made of 500 DM bills, 250.000DM block(made of 200DM, 100.000DM block made of 100DM, a bag of 1000 50 DM bills, a bag of 1000 20DM bills, a bag of 1000 10DM bills, a bag of 1000 5 DM bills. 1.935.000 DM total. :lol:

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:47 pm
by HNL
eurobillsandcoins wrote:How would you know? :?
It was some "art" of Jan Wolkers. I'll try to find some more information later.

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:29 pm
by Annie_in_exile
Several months ago I saw some folders/binders which were covered with a thin layer of shredded notes from all over Europe. I thought they were a bit too expensive at that time, but in hindsight I wish I had bought a couple of them anyway. Would have been nice to keep one's bank statements in them.

Re: Shredded banknotes

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:19 am
by phrenzy
Sorry t bump your forum uninvited but I was wondering what the status and availability of shredded euro is? I kow theres still alot of old currency floating about but what about notes that would otherwise be legal tender if they werent in a couple dozen pieces?

Re: Shredded banknotes

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:39 pm
by Kleman
Spam ! :roll: