Business-card sized reference table

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons, avij

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Business-card sized reference table

Post by avij » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:38 pm

I'm currently arranging to get myself some business cards with "www.eurobilltracker.com" on it ( :wink: ) and on the back I'm planning to print a small reference table of all serial code letters and printer codes. My plan is to give those business cards to potential new EBTers. If you want to have a similar reference card in your wallet, you can download it from here (66k PDF). The original PageMaker file is here if you want to modify it somehow.

I remember someone once asked how the printer codes were ordered but I can't find that message any more :cry: . As you may know, the letters in the serial number were picked by sorting the countries in reverse alphabetical order using the country name in their respective language, thus Belgium got Z and so on. Greece and Denmark were swapped because the Greek didn't have a letter W in their alphabet.

I think I answered that printer code question by saying something like "they were picked randomly", but when you look at the reference card you'll notice some striking similarities, ie. J (UK) = printer A (UK), K (Sweden) = printer B (Sweden) etc. There are some differences though, but they can be explained: R (Luxembourg) doesn't print any notes, so its place was used by another UK printer; Denmark and Greece were swapped as described above; they wanted to keep the German printers P and R together, thus pushing printers S and T one slot downwards; if the second French printer was put as the last printer, it would have received printer code U which might have caused problems with the French serial number letter which is also U, thus the printers for Portugal (U) and France (E) were swapped.

lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

OF COURSE!!!

Post by lmviterbo » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:14 am

Wow, I was looking at the pdf file you made with the country and printer letters side by side and I was finally arriving to the same conclusion you reached! Never before I've seen ANY explanation about the printer letters order. It really seemed random until you simply showed them next to the country letters.

Good job, both the annoyingly simple decoding and the business cards idea! :D

Oh, you know, it's not Thomas De La Rue anymore, it's just De La Rue now.

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: OF COURSE!!!

Post by avij » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:45 am

lmviterbo wrote:Oh, you know, it's not Thomas De La Rue anymore, it's just De La Rue now.
Yea, I should have picked up the list from EBT but I got it from other sources.. :?

I've updated the files to have the correct De La Rue name.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.

JanV
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Re: Business-card sized reference table

Post by JanV » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:45 pm

This card is still on the site: http://nl.eurobilltracker.eu/press/eurocodes.pdf
It is outdated. So IMO it's better to remove it from the site.

JanV

jrnsndrs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Business-card sized reference table

Post by jrnsndrs » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:55 am

JanV wrote:This card is still on the site: http://nl.eurobilltracker.eu/press/eurocodes.pdf
It is outdated. So IMO it's better to remove it from the site.

JanV
Or to update it.
"of all wars, religious wars are the most detestable, since they are waged for no tangible gain, but only to impose a set of arbitrary credos on another."
--- Unspiek baron Bodissey.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”