Page 1 of 1

Finnish song

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:32 pm
by androl
I found this song and I like it, but I don't know what they are singing about. :( And I don't find a translation anywhere.
Could someone translate it for me please?

Niin mä havahdun painajaisiin,
Mun hikisiin huokauksiin ja kauheaan ikävään,
Kadonneet ovat nauru ja myös kyyneleet,
kaikki turtui, kun kerroit sä meet

Ennen kuiskit mulle pitkään, Meitä erota ei mitkään
maailman tuulet, tai niin sä luulet,
Ja mä uskoin lailla rakastuneen,
ja vaivun uneen, syvään uneen
Sä sanoit

Kun jäätyy syys, painaa pää tyynyys
ja näe unta, kesästä unta,
Nyt mä nuudun vaan ilman sua, puudun vaan,
Taas sataa lunta, harmaata lunta

Pois, sä lähdit niin äkkiä pois,
jos tietäisin miksi tää ois kenties helpompaa,
kadonneet ovat nauru ja myös kyyneleet,
kaikki turtui, kun kerroit sä meet

Silloin päiväni muuttui yöksi, jokainen minuutti kovaksi työksi,
ja maan ja taivaan värit vaihtui,
Mä luulin ensin, et tuska joskus haihtuu,
mut se ei tee niin, ei se ei mee niin
Sä sanoit

Kun jäätyy syys, painat vaan pään tyynyys,
kun sataa lunta, harmaata lunta,
Nyt mä nuudun vaan ilman sua, puudun vaan,
Enkä saa unta, mä en saa unta

Re: Finnish song

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:38 pm
by Olivier
androl wrote:I found this song and I like it, but I don't know what they are singing about. :( And I don't find a translation anywhere.
Could someone translate it for me please?
Yes, we want to know! :)

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:41 pm
by Fons
Where's that song?
I wanna have it too! :)

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:47 pm
by avij
The song is "Gimmel - Harmaata lunta" (according to Google). I guess I'll let someone else who has more spare time to translate that song, though.

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:05 pm
by Fundamental
Gimmel is the winner of Finnish PopStart program :)

Re: Finnish song

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:07 pm
by Alyssa
Niin mä havahdun painajaisiin,
So I wake up in my nightmares
Mun hikisiin huokauksiin ja kauheaan ikävään,
In my swetty sighs and in terrible longing
Kadonneet ovat nauru ja myös kyyneleet,
Lost are laughter and tears also
kaikki turtui, kun kerroit sä meet
Everything came numb, when you told you go

Ennen kuiskit mulle pitkään, Meitä erota ei mitkään
Before you whispered me for long, nothing will separate us
maailman tuulet, tai niin sä luulet,
the winds of the world, or so you think
Ja mä uskoin lailla rakastuneen,
And I believed like in love(a person in love)
ja vaivun uneen, syvään uneen
and fell asleep, in deep sleep
Sä sanoit
You said

Kun jäätyy syys, painaa pää tyynyys
When autumn freezes, put your head on you pillow
ja näe unta, kesästä unta,
and dream, dream of summer
Nyt mä nuudun vaan ilman sua, puudun vaan,
Now I just (something) without you, I just go numb
Taas sataa lunta, harmaata lunta
It snows again, grey snow

Pois, sä lähdit niin äkkiä pois,
Away, you went so quickly away,
jos tietäisin miksi tää ois kenties helpompaa,
if I knew why this would propably be easier
kadonneet ovat nauru ja myös kyyneleet,
lost are laughter and tears also
kaikki turtui, kun kerroit sä meet
everything came numb, when you told you go

Silloin päiväni muuttui yöksi, jokainen minuutti kovaksi työksi,
Then my day changed to night, every minute hard work,
ja maan ja taivaan värit vaihtui,
and the coulours of the earth and sky changed
Mä luulin ensin, et tuska joskus haihtuu,
I first thought that pain would someday go away
mut se ei tee niin, ei se ei mee niin
But it dosen't do so, no it dosen't work like that
Sä sanoit
You said

Kun jäätyy syys, painat vaan pään tyynyys,
When autumn freezes, just but your head on your pillow
kun sataa lunta, harmaata lunta,
when it snows, grey snow
Nyt mä nuudun vaan ilman sua, puudun vaan,
Now I just (something) without you, I just go numb
Enkä saa unta, mä en saa unta
And I can't sleep, I can't get any sleep

Here you go. This is made by finnish first popstars band Gimmel and itäs called Harmaata lunta - Grey snow[/i]

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:16 pm
by androl
thanks :)

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:26 pm
by airis
A few months ago one German radio station did play their songs and they got even in their charts. I heard it too when I listened that station via internet.

btw If you want to know how their music sounds there are short clips of their songs in their website.
press Jukebox (Harmaata lunta is the third one)

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:17 pm
by DrGreenTom
their song "jokotai" was a big hit when i was in Finland and i heard it so many times i could sing along the refrain, even almost a year later i still know it ! : Sun pitää päättää ja jättää tää jokotai jokotai. Try to say that sentence aloud as a non-Fin without getting your tongue twisted :lol:

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:42 pm
by Dakkus
Jules wrote:their song "jokotai" was a big hit when i was in Finland and i heard it so many times i could sing along the refrain, even almost a year later i still know it ! : Sun pitää päättää ja jättää tää jokotai jokotai. Try to say that sentence aloud as a non-Fin without getting your tongue twisted :lol:
Actually that's a bit hard to pronounce even for me. At least as fast as they sang it. Of course it's possible for anyone, if it's pronounced calmly and slowly enough :)

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:08 pm
by androl
airis wrote:A few months ago one German radio station did play their songs and they got even in their charts. I heard it too when I listened that station via internet.
That was where I first heard about them. This radio station SWR3 made a big event in Finnland and 150 people could win a trip to it. They played Sydän pliis särkekää very often, so it was in the listeners' charts of most wanted songs

hey airis, you are in Rovaniemi? This is the city where the event was.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:28 pm
by airis
androl wrote:That was where I first heard about them. This radio station SWR3 made a big event in Finnland and 150 people could win a trip to it. They played Sydän pliis särkekää very often, so it was in the listeners' charts of most wanted songs

hey airis, you are in Rovaniemi? This is the city where the event was.
Yes, and I actually saw those winners here in Rovaniemi. :) I was walking on river ice and they did drove with snow mobiles near where I was. It was quite cold then (colder than -25 °C), when they visited here.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:47 pm
by milanocapitale
I still prefer Olen Omena!

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:04 pm
by JonnyRainbow
an what does this mean?

Ratiriti ralla
mistä tuli halla
Tuolta pohjan tunturila
Lapin lasten laitumilta
Ratiriti ralla
sieltä tuli halla

video

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:04 pm
by Dakkus
JonnyRainbow wrote:an what does this mean?

Ratiriti ralla
mistä tuli halla
Tuolta pohjan tunturila
Lapin lasten laitumilta
Ratiriti ralla
sieltä tuli halla

video
Trallalei tsubadumdum
where did the night frost come from?
From over there, from the fjell in the north.
From the meadow's of Lapland's children.
Trallalei tsubadumdum
that's where the night frost came from.

And if you can't notice it otherwise, "Rati-riti ralla" sounds a bit like what you'd imagine nightly frost to sound like. A bit like glass breaking or something like that.