Concerns? Let us know by posting here.

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus, dserrano5

Talking Head
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

NIG

Postby Talking Head » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:56 pm

Hello,

As an unexperienced computeruser I struggle with the following problem.
Icreate an CSV database but I cannot loas it in the NIG
Can someone please help me ? I would very much like te analyse my notes(37.000 now)

klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Postby klapotec » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:34 pm

...and now for something completely different: a feature request! ;)

What: in the advanced and expert note entry forms, I'd very much welcome a rough visual guide to easily see how many notes I've entered.

Why: if I have (like right now) a list of notes that I wrote down during the day and it's, say 15 times :note-50:, I need to make sure I've not skipped over any of my written-down serial numbers before sending them to the server by counting the entries in the form. This is relatively time-consuming, and a minor annoyance. With the entry form divided into easily parsable groups (of 5 lines each, since 25 isn't divisible by anything else), this checking would be much easier and faster.

How: any visual grouping aid should do the trick. Whether that be a slightly larger offset between groups of entry lines or some kind of mark beside every fifth entry line, or something else, I leave to the implementors. Shouldn't be that hard to implement, in any case.

Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Postby Nerzhul » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:33 am

erzin wrote:Or does a local hit Hulst -> Hulst count as 1 city ?

Yes, each city/user/country is only counted once per hit.

Petri6 wrote:If I search for the comments of my notes, it only recognizes the first word of the comment (i.e. if I search for the wor "pub", only notes in which comments the word "pub" is the first word are displayed).

It's currently designed that way. I'll think about the necessary changes.
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter

Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: NIG

Postby Gauss » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:58 am

Talking Head wrote:As an unexperienced computeruser I struggle with the following problem.
Icreate an CSV database but I cannot loas it in the NIG
Can someone please help me ? I would very much like te analyse my notes(37.000 now)
NIG is a piece of external software, and questions about it should be asked in the designated thread on NIG. That thread may (or may not) already contain an answer to your problem.

Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Postby Dakkus » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:36 pm

For those who enter precise comments, the current comment sorting algorithm isn't working very well. For example my comments have two parts:

"Very good condition. From Prisma in the shopping centre Iso Omena. Used in Alepa in the Station Tunnel."

So, if I get two notes from the same shop, the other being very worn and the other one in good condition, they get listed as separate comment entries. Which renders the new feature useless for me and anyone else who bothers doing the comments well.

Therefore, I request a possibility to cut the comment into pieces by some delimiter. For example, I would like listing all comments cut so that only everything between the first letter and first point would be taken into account. That would let me see how many of my notes have been in fine condition, how many in very good condition, how many in good condition, how many in quite good condition and so on.
I would also like to be able to list them so that onlt stuff /after/ the first point would be taken into account. That would let me see what shops my notes have usually come from. Of course it would be a nice plus, if I could define that I want to compare what's between the first and second dot in the comment, it would be a nice plus. But because of the likely interface problems, I can live without that.

I don't think I'm the only one with this problem. And in any case, supporting thorough commenting is only positive, right? :)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!

WinstonSmith
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Postby WinstonSmith » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:57 pm

(Dakkus, you made me come up with this one.)
What about placing an additional drop-down menu in the note entering form, with fixed options such as "Brand new", "Fair", "Wrinkled", "Torn/Badly damaged", for each banknote? It wouldn't be compulsory, of course. It would allow people (such as Dakkus) to easily keep track of the notes' conditions. Moreover, it would avoid the fact that you either use English in your comments (even if it's foreign to you), or your next hit-partner won't be able to understand if his note is still pretty nice or is nearing its end.

Petri6
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Postby Petri6 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:22 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:(Dakkus, you made me come up with this one.)
What about placing an additional drop-down menu in the note entering form, with fixed options such as "Brand new", "Fair", "Wrinkled", "Torn/Badly damaged", for each banknote? It wouldn't be compulsory, of course. It would allow people (such as Dakkus) to easily keep track of the notes' conditions. Moreover, it would avoid the fact that you either use English in your comments (even if it's foreign to you), or your next hit-partner won't be able to understand if his note is still pretty nice or is nearing its end.

I'm against this. I think that the number of drop-down menus shouldn't be increased because it makes entering notes more time-consuming and less appealing.

However I do have the same problem as Dakkus. I use comma between the parts of comment and I've seen some using / so it would probably be very hard to do the listing as Dakkus suggested. I think the first and foremost thing should be changing the search functionn so that one would be able to search stuff in the comments other than the first word (which isn't useful at all to me because the fist word is always the date, "change" or "from").

I also think that we should encourage commenting in any way possible because to me it's the thing that makes the hits and this hobby most interesting.

Yelverdack
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Postby Yelverdack » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:42 pm

Would it be possible to show the bills diffusion in Switzerland. I think it could be very interesting because this country is the first non euro country ranked by bills and because is geographic position is in the centre of Europe.

I'd like to know if there is a bigger influence of the german, french, italian or austrian bills or others.
"To be is to do". Socrates
"To do is to be". Jean-Paul Sartre
"To be do be do". Franck Sinatra

Loi de Bell : Tout corps plongé dans une baignoire entend alors le téléphone sonner.
Loi de Zenone : La file d'à côté avance toujours plus vite. Si tu changes de file, celle que tu viens de quitter deviendra alors la plus rapide.

Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Postby Nerzhul » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:56 pm

Some fixes in today's release: I added a tiny separator every 5 note results. Additionally you're now able to search for comments with freely matching search terms (i.e. matching every part of the comment, not just the beginning).

Dakkus wrote:I request a possibility to cut the comment into pieces by some delimiter.

This probably won't make it to the main site. Too complicated to design, too few actual usecases. I suggest you use (or write) some third party software for that ;-)

But I've been wondering about a special field to describe the note condition myself...

klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Postby klapotec » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:09 pm

Nerzhul wrote:I added a tiny separator every 5 note results.

If that is in response to my feature request, then two points:
1. a small error: there's a separator after the sixth note result, and only after that every five note results.
2. I'd have liked this tiny separator with the entry form (it is useful with the results too, but not for my original problem); I'd like to be able to easily visually check how many notes I will send to the server before I send them...

always those nitpickers... :roll:

keep up the great work!

Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Postby Nerzhul » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:26 pm

No problem, I added the visual grouping to the expert form.

klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Postby klapotec » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:29 pm

Nerzhul wrote:No problem, I added the visual grouping to the expert form.

Thank you very much!

WinstonSmith
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Postby WinstonSmith » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:58 pm

It's a very minor issue, but wouldn't it be better to add a line? Or, even better, one could set up a different background color every 5 lines, pretty much like we already have different background colors in adjacent rows in the tables of the last hits, last notes entered, etc.
To me the current form looks just a bit... "chaotic", because of the varying space between adjacent rows.

ErGo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Postby ErGo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:16 am

WinstonSmith wrote:To me the current form looks just a bit... "chaotic", because of the varying space between adjacent rows.
So it does for me too! Perhaps it would be better and easier just to add a line counter in front of the input lines, so you see directly how many notes you entered into the form.

Yelverdack
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Postby Yelverdack » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:25 am

Yelverdack wrote:Would it be possible to show the bills diffusion in Switzerland. I think it could be very interesting because this country is the first non euro country ranked by bills and because is geographic position is in the centre of Europe.

I'd like to know if there is a bigger influence of the german, french, italian or austrian bills or others.

What about my request ?
"To be is to do". Socrates
"To do is to be". Jean-Paul Sartre
"To be do be do". Franck Sinatra

Loi de Bell : Tout corps plongé dans une baignoire entend alors le téléphone sonner.
Loi de Zenone : La file d'à côté avance toujours plus vite. Si tu changes de file, celle que tu viens de quitter deviendra alors la plus rapide.

Return to “Feedback and Development”