Page 1 of 122
Development WG's famous to do list
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:47 pm
by €€F
You've probably heard about Avij's famous to do list (see his signature..)
EBT is a great site , and there still is a lot to do !!
Besides regular maintenance , the site is developed more and more.
Among others many thanks in this case to Avij.
Avij has a to do list , and I'm curious what's on this list... and which items are on top of this list..
Not that I want to influence the list... or put any pressure on Avij at all ..
It is just that , while you are EBT-ing , you have the feeling the site is also a bit of yourself... got the feeling too??
And so I am really curious what we can expect in the future..
Avij , share your future knowledge with us ? Please ??
And to all other EBT People ; what is your hope of first change at EBT ??
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:58 pm
by Fons
Maybe some extra statistics, like: Countries/Hits or a Toplist of the user with the most hits.
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:40 am
by BogPoet
Fons wrote:Maybe some extra statistics, like: Countries/Hits or a Toplist of the user with the most hits.
I don't know if that's anywhere near the top of his list, if at all. Ranking users/countries/printers, etc., (specially users) based on hits is a dangerous thing. People would be fabricating hits only to get to the top of those listings.
I think that if Avij doesn't want to tell us what's on the to do list, he'll have his reasons. I don't think we can complain the least about his dedication to EBT or his work as webmaster.
Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:18 pm
by alex77r
The things Id like to be added on EBT in order of preferences :
1- a new section where we could see what short code have been entered yet per country and per value, for example :
5 € France : L001**
(how many), L002**
(how many),...
2- in the section "About this site", the records of new users/day and of new bills/day
3 - in the section "Statistics", a ranking of referers
What do people think about that ?

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:44 pm
by Ralf
alex77r wrote:The things Id like to be added on EBT in order of preferences :
3 - in the section "Statistics", a ranking of referers
What do people think about that ?

Yes that one I also like.

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:26 pm
by wilg
I would like to see an "Export to CSV file" for the interesting hits
statistics. It would be nice if you can export all the interesting hits for further analyses.
For me personally, it would make it a lot easier to compile the interesting hits top 50's.

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:39 pm
by dave1980
A ranking of cities?
Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:09 pm
by Ralf
dave1980 wrote:A ranking of cities?
Also nice but there are I think more ranks who have more priority
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:01 pm
by €€F
avij keeps quiet... seems he wants to keep his list very very very private.
can't you say 1 little item ??
what can we expect in the nearest future????
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:23 am
by Klazu
A great search engine for users, cities, bills etc. should be introduced to the system. And lot's of more statistics! Two changing toplists to the right side of the page...

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:35 pm
by Senior
Maybe I'm overseeing something (in that case, please tell me how to do it), but it would be nice to be able to search for a specific person in the database, and to see his/her notes (with X's of course). In fact the same thing as seeing you own notes but with X's in the codes.
This would also be a powerfull tool to find cheaters (e.g. huge number of places visited in 1 day).
Greetings,
Senior
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:40 am
by Viperazzi
Senior wrote:Maybe I'm overseeing something (in that case, please tell me how to do it), but it would be nice to be able to search for a specific person in the database, and to see his/her notes (with X's of course). In fact the same thing as seeing you own notes but with X's in the codes.
This would also be a powerfull tool to find cheaters (e.g. huge number of places visited in 1 day).
Greetings,
Senior
This would surely lower the amount of fake notes and cheating users, because every one of the thousands of active users could be catching cheaters while entering notes and browsing the database. But there's still so much unveiled in avij's to do list that we'll only have to wait.
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:58 am
by Mr Euro
I think Avij is doing a great job, so there is no need to know his todo-list. I'm sure he and Philippe will let EBT go in the right direction.
Just a minor detail: My default city
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:06 pm
by neef_van_ans
Great stuff.
Just a minor detail: My default city is Den Haag. When
I want to enter new bills in the advanced form, then
the defaut city is "Den" instead of "Den haag". It
seems as if name=my_city does not include the text
after the space.
This is the case in both Microsoft Internet Explorer
5.50 as in Mozilla Firefox 0.9.2
In the simple form the default city names is taken
completely.
tried by e-mail:
<
contact@eurobilltracker.com>:
Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed
thru this MTA (#5.7.1)
Re: Just a minor detail: My default city
Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:14 pm
by avij
neef_van_ans wrote:Just a minor detail: My default city is Den Haag. When I want to enter new bills in the advanced form, then the defaut city is "Den" instead of "Den haag". It seems as if name=my_city does not include the text after the space.
Yes, some quotes were missing, sorry. This should be fixed now.
neef_van_ans wrote:tried by e-mail:
Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)
We had some problems with our email host, we've since then changed our emails to a more reliable place.
About my (or actually it's a common list maintained by myself and Philippe) todo list - I'd love to show it, but there are various reasons why I'd rather not publish it. These include, in no particular order:
- I don't like to preannounce functionality that doesn't exist yet, because the plans may change during development
- New features will be published when they're ready
- Some of those items are very early concepts which need quite a bit of refinement before they can be implemented
- Some of those items are alternatives, ie. I need to implement one of them to reach the desired goal, but I haven't decided yet which route I'm going to take
- As most of you are aware, we have competing sites which might be interested to know what EBT is planning to do in the near future
- I (and Philippe I'm sure) are quite busy with real work, and I don't want to cause additional pressure to myself by preannouncing stuff, knowing that some of you would surely remind me from time to time that "you promised to add a feature X to EBT a few days ago, but it's been already a few weeks since that" etc.
- There are some dependencies between items, like A, B and C need to be done before D can be implemented. Some of you might not notice the dependencies and wonder why it takes so long to implement D when I'm busy implementing the required A, B and C before I can tackle D.
dave1980 wrote:A ranking of cities?
Sounds nice and simple in principle, but things get complicated when there are alternative spellings (and downright typos) for city names; Bru, Brusel, Brussek, Brussel, Brussel/bruxelles, Brussels, Bruxelles, Bruxelles/brussel, Bryssel, Brysseli .. Of course it doesn't mean that such stats are impossible to generate, just that it's a bit more complicated than one might initially think.
Klazu wrote:A great search engine for users, cities, bills etc. should be introduced to the system.
I think we've discussed this earlier.. There are some privacy issues that need to be taken care of. You may try to convince me by listing some use cases for such a search engine. What kind of information would you like to get using that search engine, that can't be seen from other stats pages and which can't be classified as spying on some particular user? Please give some examples.
Senior wrote:and to see his/her notes (with X's of course). In fact the same thing as seeing you own notes but with X's in the codes.
This would also be a powerfull tool to find cheaters (e.g. huge number of places visited in 1 day).
Privacy problems again, I'm 100% certain that there are persons who would dislike the privacy problems such a feature would cause. The fact that there's a listing of 330 latest notes is a bit of a compromise between total privacy and cheater detection. Of course it could be made optional, so that the user could choose whether he wants to show his notes or not. Cheaters would naturally choose not to show their notes, so there goes the powerful cheater detection tool.
Mr Euro wrote:I'm sure he and Philippe will let EBT go in the right direction.
You can be sure about that
Other suggestions mentioned in this thread have been added to my todo list if they weren't there before.