Page 1 of 6
Which is the best airport in the world?
Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:45 pm
by eurobillsandcoins
Please, if you are a interenational traveller, please vote here for the world's best international airport, it would be interesting to see what people here think. Also, if you selected other, please say where and why. I think Hong Kong is good, since it is very new, it has numerous facilities, large check-in areas, very atmpspheric and modern-age from its glass architecture, its efficient security, customs and immigration personnel.
Re: Which is the best airport in the world?
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:42 am
by Olivier
I don't like Paris-CDG, neither New York... these airports are too crowded, the buildings has got too old. The transfers in NY can just be nightmares!! -> immigration + customs can easily make you lose your transfer (they don't mind).
I like Bruxelles-Zaventem and Copenhagen Airport. Montreal-Trudeau, Chicago O'Hare, Toronto Pearson are OK.
Madrid's airport is nice.
The worst for me is definitly: Kennedy Airport (NY). All my friends flying there prefer Newark.
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:25 am
by eurobillsandcoins
Yes, the customs in the US don't give a **** about if you make your connection, 2 hours is not enough for a transfer if you're arriving from Europe or Asia. I flew to Hong Kong sometime after 9/11 from Toronto thru Chicago, clearing Chicago is horrible, as I waited 2 hours for immigration and 1/2 hour for baggage, then I have to re-check it to Toronto. I missed my connection by 5 minutes, and waited 24 hours to get on the next plane, no compenation, nothing, I was even blamed for this.
Re: Which is the best airport in the world?
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:26 am
by eurobillsandcoins
Olivier wrote:I don't like Paris-CDG, neither New York... these airports are too crowded, the buildings has got too old. The transfers in NY can just be nightmares!! -> immigration + customs can easily make you lose your transfer (they don't mind).
I like Bruxelles-Zaventem and Copenhagen Airport. Montreal-Trudeau, Chicago O'Hare, Toronto Pearson are OK.
Madrid's airport is nice.
The worst for me is definitly: Kennedy Airport (NY). All my friends flying there prefer Newark.
I don't like Chicago or Montreal. Brussels and Copenhagen are nice however.
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:38 am
by avij
I remember reading a newspaper article some years ago that our local Helsinki-Vantaa airport was ranked pretty high in a similar poll. I think that reward was warranted, but I might be a bit biased.. Brussels Zaventem airport is also nice, pleasant spacious design and all.
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:47 am
by Fundamental
avij wrote:I remember reading a newspaper article some years ago that our local Helsinki-Vantaa airport was ranked pretty high in a similar poll. I think that reward was warranted, but I might be a bit biased.. Brussels Zaventem airport is also nice, pleasant spacious design and all.
That is true! I have read that the Helsinki airport has won the competition several times.. I'm not sure..
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:11 am
by Aaron
I just LOVE our local Turku airport!

There is just one terminal - you
can't get lost there. It is an international airport but the only foreign destinations are Stockholm and Copenhagen.
I have experience only about the following international airports:
Turku
Vaasa
Helsinki
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Hamburg
Frankfurt a.M.
Madrid
Vigo (I'm not sure if it is international)
Porto
Vienna
Budapest
Prague
Manchester
Dublin
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:41 am
by Venga
What about Schiphol Amsterdam?

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:01 am
by Dakkus
Fundamental wrote:avij wrote:I remember reading a newspaper article some years ago that our local Helsinki-Vantaa airport was ranked pretty high in a similar poll. I think that reward was warranted, but I might be a bit biased.. Brussels Zaventem airport is also nice, pleasant spacious design and all.
That is true! I have read that the Helsinki airport has won the competition several times.. I'm not sure..
Yes, the Helsinki-Vantaa airport is officially the best airport on the planet.
Although I'd say I kinda liked the München airport more. Helsinki-Vantaa doesn't have any land connections out from there. And it looks awful. And the check-in is so small it makes me feel almost claustrophobic (no, I don't have claustrophobia). From München airport it was very easy taking the S-Bahn to Ostbahnhof. Although it does cost quite a bit. Some 8€ for an adult and some 4€ for students if they take the stripes ticket. Helsinki-Vantaa to Helsinki is 3€ for adults and 1,5€ for those under 17-year-old (and for the students studying around Helsinki).
Malaga airport is huge and empty. Kinda scary. While I hate Helsinki-Vantaa for the small size, I hate this one because it's absolutely too huge.
The fourth airport I've been to is the Weelze airport (also known as Niederrhein near Düsseldorf). It's just a big room where the speakers speak only German and the sound is very dizzy and almost ununderstandable. That's the one I hate the most.
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:36 am
by Speukes
I'm not a frequent traveller, but I can confirm that JFK New York is the worst

not enough signs inside the terminal.
Zaventem-Brussels and Stansted-London are my favourites.
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:39 pm
by CCCP
helsinki-vantaa airport

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:43 pm
by N0W1K
I don't like JFK - NY airport, it's too old
I like two Spanish airports
Madrid Barajas
Barcelona El Prat (I preffer this one)
airports in London and Paris are OK
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:44 pm
by Viperazzi
London Stansted.
Why would Vantaa be so good? It has only bus connections, it hasn't got that many big airlines and it is far north. I've never understood that.
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:47 pm
by DrGreenTom
from the smaller airports, my favorite one is Joensuu.
Nobody complains if you arrive five minutes before the plain leaves.
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:53 pm
by Fundamental
Osku-82 wrote:London Stansted.
I just hate that airport! There way too less places to sit! I had to spent two nights in Stansted airport and that was a hell!