Page 1 of 2

Polls Polls Polls

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:24 pm
by Mr Euro
Polling about polls.

Re: Polls Polls Polls

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:29 pm
by emmem
Mr Euro wrote:Polling about polls.
This one had not that many options.

But I'm still missing the "I always think twice before submitting my vote" option :D

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:32 pm
by Sneakster
I always vote in whatever poll, no matter what topic. Seems to me most of the polls have rather interesting topics.
But I also do enjoy the more humorous ones! :lol:

Sneakster

Re: Polls Polls Polls

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:09 am
by Edwin
Mr Euro wrote:Polling about polls.
Is this a pollsite or a eurotrack site?
I've voted for this one, but also could have choosen the 'stop these stupid polls' option. If the polls don't have anything to do with Eurobill tracking OR this forum I think they should go into the off-topic forum or the test forum.

There are way to many polls :(

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:54 pm
by micro
It's also a mistake to write useful with double-L.

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:01 pm
by Edwin
Craft wrote:I think there's no reason to be irritated on polls or other thread topics. You can always pass by the ones that don't interest you. They may interest or amuse many others - we have different views and I think it's good.

BTW, has anyone any explanation why nowadays people very often write 'to' when there should be 'too', for example 'Way to many' when it should be 'Way too many'? Is it only an error or a fashion thing?
In this cas it was just an typo. :oops:

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:02 pm
by Edwin
Edwin wrote:
Craft wrote:I think there's no reason to be irritated on polls or other thread topics. You can always pass by the ones that don't interest you. They may interest or amuse many others - we have different views and I think it's good.

BTW, has anyone any explanation why nowadays people very often write 'to' when there should be 'too', for example 'Way to many' when it should be 'Way too many'? Is it only an error or a fashion thing?
In this cas it was just an typo. :oops:. Working extra hours (getting up at 4 am) for the last two weeks, and typing on an old keyboard isn't helping.

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:19 pm
by emmem
micro wrote:It's also a mistake to write useful with double-L.
A mistake I made a while ago was to write almost with 2 L’s.

I’m afraid I got many bills with allmost written somewhere in the comments.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:15 am
by Guest
The English speakers of this forum have been politely silent about us second-language speakers' errors but now I'd really like to hear what the feelings are among speakers of English as their mother tongue, about their language being "mutilated" by the rest of the world. You don't have to comment on this forum, and you can comment on the general views rather than your own -- so no-one will be offended, ok? :x :( :| :? :) :D

--jaker

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:45 pm
by pinguino79
This is my guess (but matt.berlin knows better): native English-speakers are used to see their language mistreated by non-native speakers, so they don't care so much about mistakes.
BTW, native English-speakers are just lucky bastards :)

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 9:14 pm
by avij
Craft wrote:In USA they have begun to use 'thru' instead of 'through', and I have seen some other cases like that, so I thought this could be a similar fashion...
You make it sound like they have just recently started using that spelling for 'through' but in fact it has been like that for ages. It's one of the several well-known American English <-> British English differences, quite a long list of those can be found here. You did know that they spell 'colour', 'grey', 'licence' etc differently, didn't you? I try to use the "proper" English spelling whenever there is a choice, especially when I'm communicating with someone across the Atlantic :)

Btw, it shows that you've worked with native English speakers, your English is remarkably fluent.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:19 pm
by avij
Craft wrote:Actually I don't (didn't) know whether they have been using the short form just for some years or decades, or even centuries.
Google to the rescue! (man, I've used Google extensively today..)

Seems like thru has been in use in U.S. since 1876, that's why your selection of the word begun caught my attention. Chicago Tribune stopped using the shortened form in 1975 and apparently started using through again. Interestingly enough, through seems to be the preferred spelling at the moment. I tried searching for past stories on New York Times and got tons of results for through but none for thru.
Craft wrote:'gal' meaning girl.
I think our English study book in school was named Guys'n Gals or something like that..
Craft wrote:BTW, Avij, may I ask: are you a native Finn or just living in Finland?
Sure, I'm a native Finn. What makes you ask that? Our minor arguments in the Finnish forum perhaps? :lol:

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:36 pm
by emmem
I sometimes use my spellchecker one what I post. But sometimes I forget to do it.

Anyway. What annoys me sometimes are those people using u instead of you, 4 instead of for, c instead of see.

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:15 am
by avij
It was our national railroad company, I remember those ads as well. I think they were advertising the new InterCity trains, but the emphasis was on that 1337-speak. I'll just have to wonder who their target audience was :)

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:05 am
by micro
avij wrote:...thru has been in use in U.S. since 1876...
I think 'thru' is (and probably has been) always colloquial use like in ads, but that's just an assumption.
What I like most in the US is the 'PedXing' which sounds rather Chinese but is an abbreviation for pedestrian crossing.