Page 1 of 7
Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:55 am
by bren_nmgn
I just got off the phone with the DNB, (Dutch National Bank), and unfortunately they have confirmed that every old design 5 euro note that hits the DNB, no matter the condition it's in, will be destroyed.....
I will start stamping each and every one of the old notes that goes through my hands for now on, hoping to draw some new users, so the old notes still serve a purpose.

And, ofcourse, I will NOT deposit them at a bank, instead I'll dump them in various stores, bakery's, etc.
How's the prognosis in your countries?
Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:56 pm
by Aatos99
Finland's national bank (Suomen Pankki) doesn't give old fivers back to the banks,but banks give old fivers to the people

But when old

goes to Suomen Pankki,it doesn't come back..
Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:29 pm
by maarsy
i sugest we make a complaint against national banks for the destruction of goverment property
Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:17 pm
by Montgomery Burns
Interesting (and a little bit sad). I haven't heard anything over here, but since May I've been under the assumption that banks have been taking them out of circulation as they get them, so I tried to avoid depositing old fivers since then. I may start to "url" them, but I have to do it by hand, so it's a little bit tiring lol.
Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:34 pm
by giulcenc
In Italy banks normally don't put back in circulation old fivers, even if they are new.
But some days ago the bank cashier gave me 4 old notes into a little batch of new circulated ones. Maybe he was too much lazy to set them apart?

Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:24 am
by Dioniz
I don't know what's the official policy of BS, but ordinary banks still give old fivers (both UNC - F005/N and also non-UNC notes). Ratio between "2002" and "Europa" series is somewhere 5:1 or 4:1.
Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:46 pm
by MDeen
In Bracht

I just got 40 circulated Europe

. No old

Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:41 am
by YCNZ
You want old 5s, come to Greece. Still at 90/10 with the new ones, so still plenty to go around. Sometimes a whole day will go without seeing a new 5 at all.
Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:39 pm
by LArdennais
In

(Belfius & CBC/KBC ATM's) :

2002 used notes OR

2002 UNC notes (Yes, yes !) OR

EUROPA UNC notes (Z/Z only

) OR

EUROPA used notes (mainly Z/Z).
Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:36 am
by dserrano5
I don't know anything about the destruction of old :note-5:s in Spain, but I do know that today I got a very circulated T/Z with a torn along the security thread, and the thread partly out of place. A very poor R002/X and E003/P too. This was from a bank. Only 5 out of 64 notes (7.8%) were Europas in that bundle.
Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:30 am
by kayhh
In Hamburg

at some banks you nearly only get old notes, especially at Commerzbank ATM´s. The German national bank destroys old wrinkled notes with more force than before and replace them with unused old series (x34 and x35 mostly plate 17) as well as with the Europa series V, U and Z. A month before you can receive refurbished old series with spanish seal (banderole). I even got two hits with Spain and one with the Netherlands with them. The banderole was from Jan. 2011

Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:18 pm
by BossaNova
In Luxembourg most of the 5€ going around are old ones, just today I got 3 never circulated old ones from an ATM machine. Although I have to say that most ATMs in Luxembourg do not give 5€ - try ING ATMs for this

Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:59 pm
by xja
I'm rarely seeing old

these days in southern Italy, so I kept an old one for my collection…
Bye.
Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:07 am
by YCNZ
Is it then possible that the old ones will mostly disappear by Christmas, if we carry on like that?
Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes
Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:53 pm
by Ewri
banks in Malta receive circulated fivers both new and old. Very few Europa fivers are in circulation here, maybe 20% Europa and 80% old ones