New user from United Kingdom, heading to Spain...

Tell us who you are, where you from, etc...

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

JamesUK
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

New user from United Kingdom, heading to Spain...

Post by JamesUK »

Good afternoon all,

I found the EuroBillTracker website linked from the Wikipedia "Where's George?" page, and have signed up as a member. I'm going to Spain shortly for a vacation / holiday, and wondered what the feeling was for logging Euro notes where they are received from a "Foreign Exchange" / bank facility in the UK, prior to going abroad?

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ section, but I did notice a listing for a note that originated from New Zealand, for example... what's the best thing to do if you live in a non-Euro note country? Should I log these notes I have obtained before my visit as originating in the UK, or should I leave these notes completely unlogged, and just log "new" notes that I receive whilst I'm in Spain?

Could I log them all as coming from my destination in Spain now, before I leave, and assuming I'm going to be spending them whilst in Spain? Doesn't seem right somehow.

I want to contribute to the project, but don't want to generate nonsensical records, showing the notes as coming from a non-Euro country, and / or records where the notes are just sitting in a drawer at home until a later visit possibly 12 months later etc.

At the moment, I'm inclined to just leave these already bought notes and only log those I receive whilst in Spain, and which I intend to spend out there.

Any thoughts?

Regards

JamesUK
niels20020
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Re: New user from United Kingdom, heading to Spain...

Post by niels20020 »

Hello James,

Welcome to EuroBillTracker!

I think it's a good idea to log all the notes you've received at the bureau de change. Most users will find it rather cool to get a note from a non-euro country :D

Even if you won't spend the notes in Spain, it's good to have them registered for a possible visit to Europe in the future. My brother also has some dollar bills that are registered on Where's George, even though he's not able to spend them now.

Greetings,
Niels
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

General consensus on EBT is that you should register notes with the location and postal code where you obtained them from. The system recognizes every country in the world (it wasn't always the case), so registering a note in a non-Euro Area country is just fine.
RKPLt
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by RKPLt »

niels20020 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:16 pm Hello James,

Welcome to EuroBillTracker!

I think it's a good idea to log all the notes you've received at the bureau de change. Most users will find it rather cool to get a note from a non-euro country :D

Even if you won't spend the notes in Spain, it's good to have them registered for a possible visit to Europe in the future. My brother also has some dollar bills that are registered on Where's George, even though he's not able to spend them now.

Greetings,
Niels
Hello and happy hunt for hits in this 1,5 billion banknote forest :D
There is an example, how banknotes are inserted in non-eurozone country. That is legal, normal and highly welcomed.
Attachments
GB note.jpg
GB note.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
Geros medžioklės! / Have a good hunt!
JamesUK
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by JamesUK »

With thanks to Montgomery Burns, RKPLt, and niels20020 for the iinformation. Noted and I'll log them asap as being from the UK. ;-)

Regards

James

Return to “EuroBillTracker Users”