Eurobilltracker Folding@home group

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Crazy Bob, Fons, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer, Bollivierke

Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Eurobilltracker Folding@home group

Post by Montgomery Burns » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 am

So I've created this group for EBT users who may want to join. I've been a member of another group (or team, using the "proper" F@h terminology) for a long time, but most of the interest there is gone so I figured I'd finally start one here (it's an idea I've had for a while, and I searched the forum before starting this thread). But first things first:

Folding?
Folding refers to the way human protein folds in the cells that make up your body. We rely on the proteins to keep us healthy and they assemble themselves by folding. But when they misfold, there can be serious consequences to a person’s health.

So, what is folding@home?
Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. As of today, the project is using the idle resources of personal computers owned by volunteers from all over the world. Thousands of people contribute to the success of this project.

How do I join?
Install the software and join our team (see next post)!

F@h.org * F@h on Wikipedia (Eng.)
Last edited by Montgomery Burns on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Eurobilltracker Folding@home group

Post by Montgomery Burns » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:47 am

Our Team Number: 234414

https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/234414

Once you've installed the software, open the web client, click on "Change Identity" and enter a nickname and the team number:

1.png
1.png (18.23 KiB) Viewed 168 times
2.png
2.png (37.86 KiB) Viewed 168 times

I've opted to maintain the name I've always used there, rather than the one I have here at EBT, because I don't want to lose my previous stats. You can do as you wish. :)

My recommendation is to set the "Power" bar to "Full", and the "When" to "Only when idle". On this note, something that may deter people from doing this all thing is the fact that this app will not allow your computer to hibernate ie. closing the screen on your laptop will not put the computer on stand-by (on Windows computers, at least). On desktop computers, the same applies: the monitor will go to stand-by but not the computer. I was quite disappointed to find this out when I installed it on a laptop once. I've stuck to running it on desktop computers only, where hibernation isn't as vital.

lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:39 am

Well done!

You may find my first little protein already folded and sent to the team.

I had uninstalled F@H some years ago, because my laptop gets too hot and I'm afraid of overheating. When I had a PC, this didn't worry that much. Let's see how it goes in the future.

Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Thank you for joining. And I'm glad somebody is on the board! :) I'm still not there myself, I guess my PC hasn't finished a Work Unit yet.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”