Page 1 of 1

All notes -> export to CSV problem

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:09 am
by MDeen
When you export a list of all your notes to CSV, you get a list, comma separated, but with no line breaks. Is this how it should be ?

Maybe a bit off topic, but how do you get this data in excel? When I save it to exportbills.csv and then open it in excel, it takes all the data in one cell and does not look at the ';' character.
The only solution I found up to now was to paste it in word, replace all ';' with tab and enter linebreaks and then paste it in excel.

Am I being silly here and is there an easier solution?

(oh, all in office 2000)

Maarten

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:44 pm
by brunorodrigues
it works for me... export the file, rename it to something.csv and just open in excel (somehow, excel is already the preferred application for csv files)

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:37 pm
by MDeen
Damn, my bad. I saved it with html headers and all. After I saved it as a text file it works like a charm.

Maarten

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:00 am
by nanda
If you select all de notes in EBT, do a copt (menu edit copy) and open a empty excel worksheet and do EDIT PASTE..result..

I have allmy notes in excel

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:49 am
by MDeen
nanda wrote:If you select all de notes in EBT, do a copt (menu edit copy) and open a empty excel worksheet and do EDIT PASTE..result..
No, that does not work with me. Excel then puts everything in one cell.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:31 pm
by ag_pt
I also have a problem with CSV files, due to spaces in note comments.
To get rid of this problem I have to do like this:
  • 1. rigth-click the link "export to CSV file"
    2. choose "save target as" and give a name to the file being saved, extension CSV
    3. open the file with a word processor like wordpad
    4. replace spaces with _ (underscores) and save the file
    5. open with Excel

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:48 pm
by Debtam
ag_pt wrote:I also have a problem with CSV files, due to spaces in note comments.
To get rid of this problem I have to do like this:
  • 1. rigth-click the link "export to CSV file"
    2. choose "save target as" and give a name to the file being saved, extension CSV
    3. open the file with a word processor like wordpad
    4. replace spaces with _ (underscores) and save the file
    5. open with Excel
Thanks :idea:

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:37 pm
by emmem
Something that might help too is to change your list separator in your regional settings to ;

To do this take Start , then Configuration , then regional settings, the numbers tab, and normally the list separator should be the last field.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:56 am
by exxodus
MDeen wrote:No, that does not work with me. Excel then puts everything in one cell.
Do not copy & paste .. just do "view source" then save this result to a xxx.csv file.