Page 1 of 3

The "make unknown bands known" topic!

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:04 pm
by turtle
As there are many bands on the world, and as well many 'hidden' but still good bands, it seems nice to start a topic about that second group!

Just mention for example bands of your own country which you like, no problem if they don't sing in English, bands are bands no problem in which language they sing! only one thing: they shouldn't be famous in other countries..so don't mention within temptation when you are dutch, or rammstein when you are german ;)
But if you like you can also mention bands from other countries that you know, but that most in your country don't know, but which are still very good! Don't need to be European bands ofcourse! Japanese, Mexican, Australian bands, it's all ok ;)

In other words, just put some band names of unknown bands here (at least unknown in europe generally, they may be very famous in your own country but only not in the rest of europe ;) ), so that all can hear how music in other countries is like, and so that maybe some discover their new favourite band!! Kind of band promotion topic, indeed :) Oh and btw, it don't need to be bands, although i speak of bands all the time, but singers/rappers/dj's whatever, are ok too, ofcourse :)

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:28 pm
by turtle
Hm I'll start with "a few":

From Holland:
Johan
It's a very good band, but still it's not very exceptional music, it's just normal, but still relaxing music, and they have some really nice songs like "oceans" and 'walking away" what are their singles here too, but i like them just more then their not-singles :)
Anouk
She's a singer, pretty popular here..It's only hard to describe her style, i would say rock alike, but there are also many other influences..If someone Dutch knows it better, then say it ;)

Hm there are more, but many Dutch bands are in the same style, and i don't like most dutch bands/artists, except that herebove mentioned, but i must have forgotten many!

Finnish ones: I know a lot, like 40, but there are many Finnish users as well, who can maybe mention a few, so i just will mention.. a few :)

Poets of the Fall
Great poprock band! If i'm right, they are really popular in Finland, but not really outside..I just like them, they have beautiful songs! They've only 2 albums yet, and i dont know what more to say they're just great.
Hanoi Rocks
Glamrock. Very old band, they are playing since the 80's if i'm right, but they make very good music! I don't understand why they aren't some more famous, because they sound like a very famous band!
The Flaming Sideburns
Argentinian ánd Finnish band..Don't know exactly the genre, maybe punk! Or rock n' roll as they have an album called Hallelujah Rock N' Rollah ;) Has a bit old sound, but it's addictive music!

Greece:
Thanos Petrelis is a very good singer

Sweden:
Backyard Babies Great punkband, this band sounds too as a famous band, but it isn't really much, in anycase not here! but sometimes it's a bit too hard and loud for me :D

That's it for now, there are many more very good bands, i could write a book about that, but it's better i stop now, before this takes over the whole page :wink:

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:23 am
by sen-chuan
Well, Anouk is famous in Italy also......

I prefer rock, so here a list of good Italian bands:
- Negramaro: they play good rock
- Negrita, which are a mix of rock, blues and reggae. Fantastic.
- Giuliano Palma and the Bluebeaters, a project including members of different Italian bands, all playing different styles of music, who cover old Italian songs in ska version
- Pitura Freska, a reggae band who play in Venetian dialect. A song is very famous 'cause talking about Pink Floyd's concert in Venice.
Although they're good bands, I've made a site to my favorite rock band ever:
Thornley, a Canadian rock band very close to Nickelback, but more rock.

There are so many... enjoy! Ciao!

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:54 pm
by turtle
Oh is she? Didn't know :P

Nice bands there too, at least what i;ve heard, especially Thornley!

Hm...what's wrong with my topics? :roll: :D I only started two (for sofar i remember :P), but they both go always as quick down as it gets 8O Hope here post some more people, so that there are móre bands and so that it's nicer!! :roll:

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:32 pm
by Ralf
Yes I like Anouk too.
I've 2 CD's of her and been to a concert.
Unfortunantly she moved to the USA :(

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:47 pm
by compinho
turtle wrote: Hanoi Rocks
Glamrock. Very old band, they are playing since the 80's if i'm right, but they make very good music! I don't understand why they aren't some more famous, because they sound like a very famous band!
Long story short: they were very popular worldwide in the early 80's but just as they were becoming -really- famous Razzle died in late '84 when he was in the car driven by drunken Vince Neil and as a result soon after the band broke up. The Hanoi Rocks come back was announced by Mike&Andy on the 27th of March 2002 so they didn't play together for almost 20 years. That might explain why they ain't that big today.

Their influence on rock music was great though, maybe best described by Axl Rose who once said:"If Hanoi Rocks would have reached the success they should have had, no-one would have ever heard of Guns'n'Roses." He also acknowledge Hanoi Rocks as their major influence as does many other bands like Skid Row, Poison and afore mentioned Backyard Babies.

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:50 pm
by sen-chuan
Thanks to Internet I've the opportunity to know other bands ... Within Temptation are not known in Italy, as "Gothic Rock" starts to be known only nowadays with Italian band Lacuna Coil.
I've heard Within Temptation 'cause they covered Kate Bush's song "Running up that hill".

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:14 pm
by Aaron
I'd like to mention two Finnish bands which should be more wellknown.

Cleaning Women is a weird band which plays weird music. The band members have made their instruments themselves from laundry drying frames, vacuum cleaners etc. They are guys but they dress like women. Ok, sounds bizarre but the music really works!

The other band is 22-pistepirkko. Dispite of the name, they sing in English. It is about 25 years old band but the members have never changed. You can really hear it in their music that they were grown out from garage already for more than 20 years ago because they play together amazingly well. The music is a mixture of pop, rock and various other elements. The band is known also from their strange looking record covers.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:22 pm
by groentje
I don't know how famous Yevgueni is abroad, they're getting big in Belgium, at the moment. Some have called them the successors of Boudewijn De Groot, Jan De Wilde, and other singer-songwriters who sing in Dutch. I'm really fond of them, especially as I know the pianist of the group.

Chris Chameleon is huge in South-Africa, his motherland. I saw him at work this somer in Dranouter, in a strange mix of Dutch, Afrikaans and English, and he's an absolute weirdo. But very funny.

Warsaw Village Band is a new Polish folk group, but with a sharp edge. They really swept me of my feet when I saw them, also in Dranouter.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:04 pm
by turtle
Aaron wrote: The other band is 22-pistepirkko. Dispite of the name, they sing in English. It is about 25 years old band but the members have never changed. You can really hear it in their music that they were grown out from garage already for more than 20 years ago because they play together amazingly well. The music is a mixture of pop, rock and various other elements. The band is known also from their strange looking record covers.
I already knew that band! No wonder, cause the most bands i know are from Finland, i know more Finnish bands then Dutch bands.. But I like this band too! Especially their song "Rat king" to which I'm listening at this moment ;)

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:42 pm
by FatEric
sen-chuan wrote:with Italian band Lacuna Coil.
Didn't know lacuna coil was an italian band, but i like them too...

Don't know if A Brand is known somewhere outside Belgium, but I like them very much (just received the latest album of them from my girlfriend).

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:01 am
by Luigi_Delvecchio
All I can say is check out the band Tool. They have an amazing singer, who sings also in A Perfect Circle, they have one if not the best drummer in the world, they have a talented guitarrist who also directs their strange videos and the have a bassist who improved a lot in the last record. What can I say, I'm dying to see them on 5 November :twisted:

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:36 pm
by Divine
Recommendable metal bands with folk music influences:

Moonsorrow (FIN, sings in Finnish)
Turisas (FIN - English)
Finntroll (FIN - Swedish)
Ensiferum (FIN - English)
Korpiklaani (FIN - English)
Metsatöll (EST - Estonian).

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:28 pm
by groentje
Luigi_Delvecchio wrote:All I can say is check out the band Tool. They have an amazing singer, who sings also in A Perfect Circle, they have one if not the best drummer in the world, they have a talented guitarrist who also directs their strange videos and the have a bassist who improved a lot in the last record. What can I say, I'm dying to see them on 5 November :twisted:
They're quite hot in Belgium, too, apparently.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:46 pm
by MetalAtog
Divine wrote:Recommendable metal bands with folk music influences:

Moonsorrow (FIN, sings in Finnish)
Turisas (FIN - English)
Finntroll (FIN - Swedish)
Ensiferum (FIN - English)
Korpiklaani (FIN - English)
Metsatöll (EST - Estonian).
Never heard of Metsatöll, got to check them out.

I also recommend a great band. Agalloch, they have recently released their 3rd album, "Ashes Against the Grain", highly recommendable. Check also their previous albums, "Pale Folklore" and "The Mantle".