Page 1 of 6

funny things to see in Google Maps/Earth

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:53 am
by androl

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:23 pm
by Crossmaster

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:57 pm
by GP
I think people know what this means:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... iwloc=addr

There was also an other object like this, in Belgium. But i can't find it on Google Earth

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:25 pm
by androl
you mean this, but it's not visible any more

and hereis a face that some people call the face of Jesus

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:35 am
by androl
the euro sign from giulcencs avatar

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:40 pm
by androl
when I was on a bicycle trip last week, I saw this
http://maps.google.de/maps?ll=48.712605 ... 3&t=k&z=20
these are four 4m high walls that form a square. There are 15 cm wide gaps between each two walls, I saw some grass through these gaps, but without a camera, I couldn't see what's in the centre of the thing. Seems there's nothing in it :roll:

In the same village, I also saw a labyrinthand a triangular grass pyramid

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:20 pm
by Dakkus
Had you read HHGTG, you'd know that the area on your side of the wall is called "the asylum".

And I always thought labyrints having that exact shape would exist only in Finland and Scandinavia.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:27 am
by androl
here's another one

here's a description of the pattern

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:44 am
by suntzu
1 - You are HERE :D

2 - Indian with ipod LAT 50° 0'37.87"N LON 110° 6'45.80"W

Wanna see a strange/funny thing ... insert 20 7'38.47"S 148 54'49.30"E in the fly to in the google earth, zoom you`ll see 2 yachts, after zooming change the tilt angle

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:11 am
by eddydevries
suntzu wrote:Wanna see a strange/funny thing ... insert 20 7'38.47"S 148 54'49.30"E in the fly to in the google earth, zoom you`ll see 2 yachts, after zooming change the tilt angle
I did zoom in as far as possible, but where can you change the tilt angle?

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:48 pm
by suntzu
when you slide the mouse to the top right hand side 3 things will show up.
A vertical bar with symbols + and - (where you can zoom) a kompass where you can turn the map and above the kompass an horizontal bar which is called the tilt bar (which allows you to check the terrain level, usualy we use it to navigate through 3d buildings)
once you insert the coordinates, zoom it until you see the picture quite clear (not maximum zoom), level the terrain with the tilt and turn the image with the compass. Any doubt let me know through PM and if you don`t manage to see it i´ll email it to you

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:52 pm
by suntzu
Image

Image

Since the image posted is rather small just follow the link

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:50 pm
by eddydevries
suntzu wrote:when you slide the mouse to the top right hand side 3 things will show up.
A vertical bar with symbols + and - (where you can zoom) a kompass where you can turn the map and above the kompass an horizontal bar which is called the tilt bar (which allows you to check the terrain level, usualy we use it to navigate through 3d buildings)
once you insert the coordinates, zoom it until you see the picture quite clear (not maximum zoom), level the terrain with the tilt and turn the image with the compass. Any doubt let me know through PM and if you don`t manage to see it i´ll email it to you
I think, you have another version of Google Maps, because I can't find a tilt balk (when I move or slide my mouse to the right side of the screen, there's no change). On the left side are the bars for in- and outzooming (the vertical bar), move the map (arrows down, up, left, right) en centering the map.
Right-clicking (maybe you meant this) gives a menu with route-planning, in- and outzooming.

I've seen the picture you posted (thank you for showing us) and indeed it's "a bit strange".

To make clear what I meant above, you can see my screen here:
Image

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:13 am
by suntzu
I`ve mentioned Google Earth not Google Maps

suntzu wrote:
Wanna see a strange/funny thing ... insert 20 7'38.47"S 148 54'49.30"E in the fly to in the google earth, zoom you`ll see 2 yachts, after zooming change the tilt angle :D

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:42 am
by eddydevries
suntzu wrote:I`ve mentioned Google Earth not Google Maps

suntzu wrote:
Wanna see a strange/funny thing ... insert 20 7'38.47"S 148 54'49.30"E in the fly to in the google earth, zoom you`ll see 2 yachts, after zooming change the tilt angle :D
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Maybe, I should visit an optician.

Now I have seen it by myself.