Eurobilltracker Folding@home group

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, Fons, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Eurobilltracker Folding@home group

Post by Montgomery Burns »

So I've created this group for EBT users who may want to join. I've been a member of another group (or team, using the "proper" F@h terminology) for a long time, but most of the interest there is gone so I figured I'd finally start one here (it's an idea I've had for a while, and I searched the forum before starting this thread). But first things first:

Folding?
Folding refers to the way human protein folds in the cells that make up your body. We rely on the proteins to keep us healthy and they assemble themselves by folding. But when they misfold, there can be serious consequences to a person’s health.

So, what is folding at home?
Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. As of today, the project is using the idle resources of personal computers owned by volunteers from all over the world. Thousands of people contribute to the success of this project.

How do I join?
Install the software and join our team (see next post)!

F@h.org * F@h on Wikipedia (Eng.)
Last edited by Montgomery Burns on Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Eurobilltracker Folding@home group

Our Team Number: 234414

https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/234414 (feel free to talk about our team within the EBT world and elsewhere!)

Once you've installed the software, open the web client, click on "Change Identity" and enter a nickname and the team number:

1.png
1.png (18.23 KiB) Viewed 5867 times
2.png
2.png (37.86 KiB) Viewed 5867 times

I've opted to maintain the name I've always used there, rather than the one I have here at EBT, because I don't want to lose my previous stats. You can do as you wish. :)

My recommendation is to set the "Power" bar to "Full", and the "When" to "Only when idle". On this note, something that may deter people from doing this all thing is the fact that this app will not allow your computer to hibernate ie. closing the screen on your laptop will not put the computer on stand-by (on Windows computers, at least). On desktop computers, the same applies: the monitor will go to stand-by but not the computer. I was quite disappointed to find this out when I installed it on a laptop once. I've stuck to running it on desktop computers only, where hibernation isn't as vital.
Last edited by Montgomery Burns on Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

Well done!

You may find my first little protein already folded and sent to the team.

I had uninstalled F@H some years ago, because my laptop gets too hot and I'm afraid of overheating. When I had a PC, this didn't worry that much. Let's see how it goes in the future.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Thank you for joining. And I'm glad somebody is on the board! :) I'm still not there myself, I guess my PC hasn't finished a Work Unit yet.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Just giving this a little bump, because of you-know-what. Maybe it's the extra bit of encouragement some of you need to join us. :)
tigerpranke
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tigerpranke »

As you can see in the team statistics (if available), I started folding again. This is my little contribution to fighting disease. :wink:
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

I haven't folded, unfortunately, since some Windows upgrade a year ago. I tried it again last week and it isn't working here. :(

I have asked my girlfriend to start folding on her iMac Pro though. I guess that with those specs it will fold like crazy.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

tigerpranke wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:42 pm As you can see in the team statistics (if available), I started folding again.
Nice :) and yeah, team and donor pages don't seem to be working correctly. Servers too busy due to lots of folding? Let's hope so! :D To anyone who may be thinking of joining, this is a secondary aspect of the project. Install the software, set it up as instructed if you want - but the important thing is that you contribute!
lmviterbo wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:21 am I have asked my girlfriend to start folding on her iMac Pro though. I guess that with those specs it will fold like crazy.
Thanks, we do what we can.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

I was able to check our team's page, and I'm glad to report that we're up to 5 members! Thank you all. Now, let's double that! :lol:
:flag-eu:
Eliezer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Eliezer »

Hello! I joined the team, too. There are now two nicknames shown for me as I changed the nickname from Eliezer to Eliezer73 as I noticed Eliezer was apparently used by several users.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Thank you and avij for joining since the last the time I checked!
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Well, we're up to 8 members and we're past the 1000 WU mark.

A quick note for those of you who pay a little bit of attention to the client's log. You may have noticed an "error" message lately, stating something like "No WUs available for this configuration".

The short of it is, do not worry - you are not doing anything wrong, keep running your machine(s).

The sudden (re)surge in interest all over the world over the past month has meant there's too much "demand" and not enough "supply" (of Work Units)! :D Every machine eventually gets its chance. I'm not an expert on how one machine goes up the waiting line. It may be, simply, a question of time. I suspect time waited and what kind of config. you're putting forth are both taken into account - for instance, wether or not you've got a supported GPU or just a CPU. Then, of course, the actual specs. may play a role.
Last edited by Montgomery Burns on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

I believe one more person has joined since I last posted here, thank you all once again. We're well on our way towards the 2000 WU mark. I'm quite impressed by the number of unique active machines we've got running: 26 over the past 50 days. Impressive for such a small group of people, clearly most of us are running more than one machine. :)

Something else I wanted to mention is the latest version of the client, which came out on Apr. 17. From what I've gathered, it's not a major upgrade - if it was, we'd be getting pop-up windows encouraging us to upgrade - but it is always smart to have latest versions installed (see download link in first post).
Last edited by Montgomery Burns on Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Hello once again. Our happy group of trackers and folders :lol: is now up to 10 members. We're past the 2000 WU mark, and our active CPUs number is up to 28.
:flag-eu:
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

It's been a couple of months. Our member count has not changed. We've made it past the 4000 WU mark. :)

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”