R/J wrote:I think yli is referring to determining to what village the rural areas 'belong'. The villages themselves are generally indicated very clearly
(with signs like these), but there is generally no sign in the rural area to indicate you are moving from one village to the other.
I use the word "village" or "settlement" for a group of houses and streets that have road signs like you mention at the beginning and at the end, but that do not have a defined rural area around them with borders. A defined area with borders, that normally has a village or a city with the same name in the center, but can also have two or more villages, like you see at viamichelin, is something administrative, it can be called gemeente (nl), Gemeinde (de,at), municipality, naselje (si), anything.
In the rural area, you are not in a village, but you are in an area belonging to an administrative unit. I just wanted to ask, if yli says that Dutch city profiles are representing the units that you see at viamichelin (do they? do you have any rules at all, or am I entering "new land" with my questions?), what these areas actually
are.
In Germany we use the Gemeinden for city profiles. Often, in some areas, Gemeinden usually have several villages in them and are only an administrative thing, while in other areas, Gemeinden are 1:1 with villages.