Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Concerns? Let us know by posting here.

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus, dserrano5

User avatar
nossi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:41 pm
Location: 1220 Wien

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by nossi »

vermeer wrote:Something strange is happening. After i enter notes i get this to see. Between '' can be different of course.

city2id: SELECT id, parent_id FROM locations WHERE key_city = binary 'Groningen' AND key_zip = binary '9726' AND key_country = binary 'Netherlands'
It's the same to me. The lines are on the top of the page.
Liebe Grüße aus Wien - nossi -
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6191
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by avij »

Sorry, that was a side effect of me fixing the problem reported by Phaseolus. The extra output is gone now.

The bug causing some locations getting marked as belonging to city=0 has now been fixed, but I'll still need to fix the existing location entries to point to the correct parent city.

[edit: this has now been fixed as well].
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
User avatar
Raumi
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Santiago y Zaraíche - Murcia - Spain
Contact:

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by Raumi »

Raumi wrote:That weird thing is also happening to me with the note that I've entered this afternoon in L'Aldea.
Bug fixed!

Thank you, avij!!
Spanish representative on the Board of Directors.
Current vice president of the Association Européenne des EuroBillTrackers
My statistics.
jrnsndrs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2118
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: Tilburg
Contact:

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by jrnsndrs »

In the Dutch forum, Crazy Bob wonders why the news-section is so poorly maintained.

Original message:
Crazy Bob wrote:Bij gebrek aan een betere plek om dit bericht te plaatsen:

Wat is het nut van een "Nieuws"-sectie als je daar vijf nieuwsberichten treft, waarvan drie uit 2012 en twee uit 2013, de laatste bijna een jaar geleden? Is er iemand die toegang tot dat gedeelte van de site heeft? Zo ja, dan is er vast iemand met inspiratie die af en toe een nieuwtje (of semi-nieuwtje) de wereld in kan slingeren. Het is naar mijn mening niet zo aantrekkelijk als je als "first time visitor" een site bezoekt, en daar een kopje "Nieuws" tegenkomt met gedateerde berichten.

De twitter-account waarnaar wordt gelinkt, slingert wel regelmatig semi-interessante dingen de wereld in. Wellicht kan daar inspiratie uit worden geput.
"of all wars, religious wars are the most detestable, since they are waged for no tangible gain, but only to impose a set of arbitrary credos on another."
--- Unspiek baron Bodissey.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:25 pm
Location: NW · DE · EU

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by tabbs »

Agreed; a while ago I made this suggestion for example:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May well be that this is difficult to do. But in that case it would make sense to remove the news section altogether and to display the Twitter link more prominently instead. :)

Christian
User avatar
Castanhola
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 8070
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 11:47 pm
Location: Coimbra, Portugal
Contact:

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by Castanhola »

Castanhola wrote:I have an Apple Script application to help me register notes with EBT API. It was working fine before the server upgrade but now it gives an error after registering the first note. It seems the problem its connected with this change reported by vermeer.

The bug was fixed and my Apple Script application works again. Thank you. :D
My EBT Profile
Best portuguese ranking: 2 (2022-09-22)
Best international ranking: 65 (2025-11-21)
My EBTcheck statistics
My nigmm statistics
Link for my EBTST statistics on my EBT profile
User avatar
Moise
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:43 am

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by Moise »

I wonder since when comments where automatically deleted,when entered by EbT-Tool and including an"ä" or something like that.Thats not nice :? without an error showing up .
I remember comments like "Kärntner Sparkasse" where accepted by server but showing up like this "K?rntner Sparkasse".Now ive thousands of uncommented notes :cry: and hundreds of uncommented hits :cry: :cry:
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6191
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by avij »

Really, the tool should be fixed so that it'd output data in UTF-8. We have been using that at EBT for the last eight years or so. Please contact the author of EBT-Tool.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
User avatar
Moise
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:43 am

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by Moise »

Now that i know that it is so,its not a problem anymore,i will not use that letters in my comments again :)
User avatar
riccccc
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:42 pm
Location: Prato
Contact:

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by riccccc »

Hi Avij,
in Statistics/Hits/Maps, seems that don't work maps for "last month" and "last year"
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6191
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by avij »

riccccc wrote:Hi Avij,
in Statistics/Hits/Maps, seems that don't work maps for "last month" and "last year"
Hi riccccc (and everyone else), I have not been responsible for site development issues / bugs since at least early 2008 when the Development Workgroup was formed. Please direct your queries to the Dev WG and its leader, currently dserrano5. Yes, I have fixed a number of bugs every now and then, but now it's time for the other members of the Dev WG to start fixing the bugs as well.

Yes, I can confirm that those maps do not work at the moment. The new database (MariaDB) seems to handle dates differently than MySQL. Fixing this will need some changes to the PHP code.

Edit: Sorry, that may have sounded a bit harsh. I know you were simply replying to my server upgrade announcement message. But the fact remains: this will need to be fixed by the Dev WG, not the Tech WG (which I lead).
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
User avatar
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 9124
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Bremen (DE) + Pisa (IT)
Contact:

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by claudio vda »

Hello, I just noticed that a title is missing in the Italian version of the Association page :arrow: https://en.eurobilltracker.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the bottom of the page there is the section "Join us" (or its translation in several languages)

Image

In Italian... nothing is there :roll:

Image

Ehm... is it possible to add the missing title? Thanks :wink:
My statistics on EBTCHECK (Latest update 13.08.2026 )
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6191
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by avij »

claudio vda wrote:Hello, I just noticed that a title is missing in the Italian version of the Association page :arrow: https://en.eurobilltracker.com/association/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the bottom of the page there is the section "Join us" (or its translation in several languages)
In Italian... nothing is there :roll:
Ehm... is it possible to add the missing title? Thanks :wink:
I'm currently on a quest to teach people that there are actually quite a few people who have the privileges to fix and change and improve stuff. The only problem seems to be that those privileged people are not using their privileges. When those people don't use their privileges and I need to take care of those issues, it gives an impression (to some people) that I would be responsible for that particular task. I think that's somewhat unfair. For example, when the :note-10: Europa notes will be put into circulation, it is not the Technical working group's (hereafter Tech WG, my group) responsibility to make changes to EBT so they could be entered. That task belongs to the Development WG. The Tech WG's only role in this matter is to grab a copy of the latest program code from the development server and copy it to the actual EBT webserver. I hope the Dev WG has the code ready by 23.9. so it can be deployed.

The various workgroups were created so that the responsibilities and powers would be spread to a larger group of people. It has always been my goal to let the WGs do whatever they deem necessary using whatever methods they want, on their own initiative, without the association's board of directors telling them what they should be doing. The WG leaders should be leading in those efforts, and coordinating with the other workgroups if they need something from them (like Support WG needing more tools from the Dev WG).

Sorry, I'm straying off topic here.. As for this particular problem, any Development WG member could have told you that EBT is pretty much language-neutral as far as PHP code is concerned. Especially the Dev WG leader could have told you that. If there are differences in how some text is shown in different languages, the reason can always be tracked down to differences in how the various constants were translated in Babel.

Also, any of our 129 registered Babel users could have pointed out that you can search for "Join us" in Babel to find the constant named M_A2E_JOIN_US. In particular, the Translation WG leader could have told you that. Going further, any of the 9 Italian translators (10 including you) could have searched for "Join us" from Babel, and perhaps they would have noticed that the translation lacks the translation for "<h2>Join us</h2>". Those Italian translators could have fixed the error by themselves. There is one more step after this -- some Babel admin will need to click the "Generate files" link to make the translations available on EBT. Yes, I'm one of the admins, but there are others as well.

Note: This is nothing against claudio vda. I just get a bit depressed when I have to take care of issues that are clearly within someone else's field. At some point I will simply stop caring about issues that are outside of my Tech WG. If nobody else cares, why should I lose my sleep over those issues? Yes, there are a number of people who are doing a good job in their respective area (and I thank them for that!), but as a whole things in EBT are not working as smoothly as they should. We need more people who actually do stuff, instead of telling other people what they should be doing. If you think you can help in getting things done (or done better), contact the appropriate working group leader and offer your help.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
User avatar
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 9124
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Bremen (DE) + Pisa (IT)
Contact:

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by claudio vda »

Dear Avij, I am really sorry about what you said and I want to underline with all the people reading that nothing was against you.

With the suggestions you gave me during this weekend, I was able to learn a little bit more about how to use Babel in a correct way, so I fixed this prolem... and I will be able to fix other problems like this one in the future.

Before this weekend, my knowledge of Babel was very limited: constants were "magically" appearing and once I clicked on "confirm translation" they were simply disappearing; every time I tried to use the search button the result was "Found a total of 0 constants that match your query", so I was 100% sure that I had no rights to recall them.
When I saw this translation mistake, my firsth though was "It would be really nice to have the possibility to recall a piece of text, correct it and then upload it, but due to the fact that I can't do this, I am obliged to ask someone else"

The last weekend something happened and now when I search for a piece of text the answer is not any more "Found a total of 0 constants that match your query", so after curing about the newsletter first thing I did was searching for that inacurracy and correcting it. Then the problem was how to upgrade on the EBT webiste... maybe with "generate files"? I was really scared while clicking on it because the first rule that was told me with computers was "If you don't know what are you doing, don't do it! You could generate serious demages". Luckily, it was the correct button. ;)

There are still a couple of things I don't know, e.g. how to generate the page resuming the translation state of the newsletter or why everytime I try to use the plural dictionary the answer is " Found a total of 0 nouns that match your query", but I hope to get those pieces of information in the next days. And, by the way, I think I don't need the plural dictionary ;)
My statistics on EBTCHECK (Latest update 13.08.2026 )
Post Reply

Return to “Feedback and Development”