Currency Path

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus

doiknow
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 4:04 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Re: Currency Path

Post by doiknow »

Why closing this topic?
I would not do so: Searching for 'currencypath' turns out this topic as result no 5 on the list. Well, if we write some more lines here it will maybe get number one and thus making publicity - for EBT 8)
On the other hand searching for EBT does not turn out any CP results on the first page...
Keep that in mind. Any promotion is good promotion :)
One Currency, one Union, one Eurobilltracker...
My dots are of the same order as 10.
User avatar
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 13441
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:16 pm
Location: Quelque part ou même ailleurs !
Contact:

Re: Currency Path

Post by Phaseolus »

hadibe wrote:
Phaseolus wrote:I don't understand why we should give any credit to a website that put itself in concureence to EBT on the field of Euros. [...]
I am now asking for forum moderators to act and delete the two topics open by currencypath.
Image

Sorry, did I really understand you right, that you want to delete these threads only because of the fact that currenypath is a competitive tracking site? 8O
You cannot say you want to delete this for security reasons, as the serials are not visible any more. This topic might appear like an advertisement for another site, okay, any discussion about competitive sites will do. But that's no reason to forbid the discussion.
Eurobilltracker is now existing for more than 8 years and it is the biggest euro tracking site. So I expect EBT to be self-confident enough to allow topics about any competitors. :!:
Well this is indeed a forum for Eurobilltracker, so why should we allow any competitor in this forum.

Do you believe that McDonald's would like to support threads abot BurgerKing or Quick or Hesburger...

Furthermore, I was also warning users from our website that i will not accept complains when their "EBT data" will be polluted by future fakers.

It's my opinion and I am not changing it because you think differently.

I call this democracy...
currencypath
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:14 am

Re: Currency Path

Post by currencypath »

Phaseolus wrote:
hadibe wrote:
Phaseolus wrote:I don't understand why we should give any credit to a website that put itself in concureence to EBT on the field of Euros. [...]
I am now asking for forum moderators to act and delete the two topics open by currencypath.
Image

Sorry, did I really understand you right, that you want to delete these threads only because of the fact that currenypath is a competitive tracking site? 8O
You cannot say you want to delete this for security reasons, as the serials are not visible any more. This topic might appear like an advertisement for another site, okay, any discussion about competitive sites will do. But that's no reason to forbid the discussion.
Eurobilltracker is now existing for more than 8 years and it is the biggest euro tracking site. So I expect EBT to be self-confident enough to allow topics about any competitors. :!:
Well this is indeed a forum for Eurobilltracker, so why should we allow any competitor in this forum.

Do you believe that McDonald's would like to support threads abot BurgerKing or Quick or Hesburger...

Furthermore, I was also warning users from our website that i will not accept complains when their "EBT data" will be polluted by future fakers.

It's my opinion and I am not changing it because you think differently.

I call this democracy...
Dont worry...CP is not in any way going to pollute data in EBT. That is not our intention.

EBT is a non profit venture so there should not be a worry of competition. Are you making money from this venture?

CP is not designed to compete with EBT but to make a global site to enable other currencies all to be tracked as well.

If you want to close this thread that is your wish. Thanks for all of those who posted positive comments and encouragement.
-flop-
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 6917
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:39 pm
Location: Piemonte

Re: Currency Path

Post by -flop- »

currencypath wrote: Dont worry...CP is not in any way going to pollute data in EBT. That is not our intention.

EBT is a non profit venture so there should not be a worry of competition. Are you making money from this venture?

CP is not designed to compete with EBT but to make a global site to enable other currencies all to be tracked as well.

If you want to close this thread that is your wish. Thanks for all of those who posted positive comments and encouragement.
With all my respect to your site and efforts my point is the following:

the success of a tracking site is esponentially dependent from the number of users and notes tracked in it and an even small decrease in these numbers is the cause of a big damage to the project;
since I don't think that many people would insert their notes on more than one tracking site, every note registered on CP would result in one note less in EBT and, from my point of view, this is a problem.

So I will find nothing strange in avoiding on this site any adverts to competitor ones. It's not censorship, just loyal competition.
Se tu passi un posto strano che si chiama Baffalù
io non ci sarò ma tu vedrai...


Elenco dei comuni italiani con il loro inauguratore/List of italian cities with their "first-note user"
User avatar
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 13441
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:16 pm
Location: Quelque part ou même ailleurs !
Contact:

Re: Currency Path

Post by Phaseolus »

Thank you Mononational :
http://fr.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=86820270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doiknow
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 4:04 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Re: Currency Path

Post by doiknow »

Strictly spoken this isn't a new problem - remember this public serial which has been entered by almost 30 users :lol: it got moderated and done. Let's do the same with those hits as they are not interesting. If I am correct there have been times when users entered ET serials here and vice versa. I think we will get over it. I just don't know why CP had to promote itself in every forum of other tracking sites (besides the swedish sites) - or was that due to the fact that this site put itself in competition to every other site i know? Maybe - I am not sure - but I am sure there won't be many links pointing to other tracking sites at CP... :roll:


OK and this is the bill mentionned by phaseolus on CP:
http://currencypath.com/user/details.ph ... 2&c_type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One Currency, one Union, one Eurobilltracker...
My dots are of the same order as 10.
currencypath
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:14 am

Re: Currency Path

Post by currencypath »

Phaseolus wrote:Thank you Mononational :
http://fr.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=86820270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok so what you did was look at the serial number from this forum and then go and enter the same number in EBT.

That was posted by a user to show a loophole where the serial was not sensored. This was fixed and you can no longer see serial numbers. What were you trying to prove here?

Try doing this again to prove that this will happen in the future........

You have only proved that users who enter in EBT also enter the same notes in CP. So that confirms that people are likely to enter it in both sites!
currencypath
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:14 am

Re: Currency Path

Post by currencypath »

-flop- wrote:
currencypath wrote: Dont worry...CP is not in any way going to pollute data in EBT. That is not our intention.

EBT is a non profit venture so there should not be a worry of competition. Are you making money from this venture?

CP is not designed to compete with EBT but to make a global site to enable other currencies all to be tracked as well.

If you want to close this thread that is your wish. Thanks for all of those who posted positive comments and encouragement.
With all my respect to your site and efforts my point is the following:

the success of a tracking site is esponentially dependent from the number of users and notes tracked in it and an even small decrease in these numbers is the cause of a big damage to the project;
since I don't think that many people would insert their notes on more than one tracking site, every note registered on CP would result in one note less in EBT and, from my point of view, this is a problem.

So I will find nothing strange in avoiding on this site any adverts to competitor ones. It's not censorship, just loyal competition.
Take a look at mononationals experiment by entering a serial found here (due to a programe error which has since be rectified) and yuo will notice that users are likely to enter the note in both places. So you are wrong with your assumption that people will not enter notes in 2 sites. Euro Maters have entered notes on CP as well so in effect they have entered on both sites.

Loyal competition? You can be loyal to both sites and enter it in both places. You will have many asians joining CP in the near future and this will more than double the chances of you getting a hit with your euros that have left europe to other continents..Isnt this a good thing..... look at the bright side of what CP can do......

You can look at CP as an healthy extension of EBT. We are not trying to compete with EBT but enable the possiblity of getting more hits. Very few non europeans would be members of EBT.unles u dont want this.. Imagine the opportunities now......
currencypath
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:14 am

Re: Currency Path

Post by currencypath »

doiknow wrote:Strictly spoken this isn't a new problem - remember this public serial which has been entered by almost 30 users :lol: it got moderated and done. Let's do the same with those hits as they are not interesting. If I am correct there have been times when users entered ET serials here and vice versa. I think we will get over it. I just don't know why CP had to promote itself in every forum of other tracking sites (besides the swedish sites) - or was that due to the fact that this site put itself in competition to every other site i know? Maybe - I am not sure - but I am sure there won't be many links pointing to other tracking sites at CP... :roll:


OK and this is the bill mentionned by phaseolus on CP:
http://currencypath.com/user/details.ph ... 2&c_type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The reason why we promoted ourelves is so that users of the different sites can have an option of trying to enter other currencies as well as increase the chance of the notes getting found outside europe.

Think of CP as a supermarket..Where u can shop for eveything in one place...similarly you can enter all notes in one site!

When CP is big enough to have a forum of its own we will have links to all other sites..I feel its good so that users have more chances at getting hits. Maybe soon, we will try to put up a links page with all the other sites as well.
User avatar
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2300
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 12:04 pm
Location: Eindhoven & omgeving, Nederland

Re: Currency Path

Post by R/J »

Posting multiple posts in a row can well be considered spamming.

I have no real opinion about this site, except that I will not use it and the comment above.
My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.
User avatar
Pole Doctor
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: France

Re: Currency Path

Post by Pole Doctor »

Honestly, I don't see the point in closing the thread. A new tracking site opened, so what.
There was a display issue where serials could be seen : thanks to a report in our forums, this issue was fixed. So there won't be anymore CP-related exploit affecting our database.
Some silly fellow EBTer did indeed post a serial resulting in a fake hit. It's alas not the first time nor the last, let's just ask tech support to moderate it and we're done.
And what about a 'concurrence' issue ?? honestly, no offense meant to CP here but we're comparing our 160.000 users and more than 81 million bills to CP's 36 members and 616 notes. I frankly don't think CP will drain a huge amount of EBT users. I for one won't be posting any note over there because I don't see the point in posting on several sites, but even if some users double post, again what's the point ?
It looks like CP tries to spread the tracking to countries where it previously wasn't possible (mainly Asian ones as was said) so we'd rather welcome it. I don't see the point in restricting/censoring such an initiative.
Just my opinion of course :)
User avatar
hadibe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:53 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Currency Path

Post by hadibe »

Phaseolus wrote:Well this is indeed a forum for Eurobilltracker, so why should we allow any competitor in this forum.
Perhaps because there is nothing to lose for us and nothing to earn for him. :roll:
Do you believe that McDonald's would like to support threads abot BurgerKing or Quick or Hesburger...
I don't know Quick and Hesburger, but there is an example about the other two:
This is the german Burger King Channel on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GeschmackIstKing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Four months ago, someone said he is going to eat his burger at mcdonalds in the future, because it tastes better and costs the same.
Three months ago someone blames the entire fast food industry.

These two comments are still not deleted, probably Burger King can quite well live with it. :wink:
Furthermore, I was also warning users from our website that i will not accept complains when their "EBT data" will be polluted by future fakers.
Why should it be? The serial numbers are not visible anymore. The only public number is the one stated above.
If the thread would have been deleted as quick as possible when it was started, the numbers would still be visible. This is fixed now.

The big probleme of currencypath is that there are too much currencies in it. The entering-site code is obviously very simple.
1. The serials are not checked for their correctness. (For instance R0xxxxxxx890 would be possible)
2. The only thing to determine the notes is the serial number. What about numbers that can exist several times within the same currency? What about date, series, underprint letters, fractional prefixes? How to enter arabic letters? You must collect a lot of knowledge about all existing currencies to adapt the site to it. Otherwise the data base will get polluted by false entries. :roll:

(By the way for your deleting-postings-with-mentioned-competitors-action, there are at least 400 postings with discussions about eurotracer and myeuro, too. Perhaps you should include them. :wink: )
currencypath
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:14 am

Re: Currency Path

Post by currencypath »

hadibe wrote:
Phaseolus wrote:Well this is indeed a forum for Eurobilltracker, so why should we allow any competitor in this forum.
Perhaps because there is nothing to lose for us and nothing to earn for him. :roll:
Do you believe that McDonald's would like to support threads abot BurgerKing or Quick or Hesburger...
I don't know Quick and Hesburger, but there is an example about the other two:
This is the german Burger King Channel on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GeschmackIstKing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Four months ago, someone said he is going to eat his burger at mcdonalds in the future, because it tastes better and costs the same.
Three months ago someone blames the entire fast food industry.

These two comments are still not deleted, probably Burger King can quite well live with it. :wink:
Furthermore, I was also warning users from our website that i will not accept complains when their "EBT data" will be polluted by future fakers.
Why should it be? The serial numbers are not visible anymore. The only public number is the one stated above.
If the thread would have been deleted as quick as possible when it was started, the numbers would still be visible. This is fixed now.

The big probleme of currencypath is that there are too much currencies in it. The entering-site code is obviously very simple.
1. The serials are not checked for their correctness. (For instance R0xxxxxxx890 would be possible)
2. The only thing to determine the notes is the serial number. What about numbers that can exist several times within the same currency? What about date, series, underprint letters, fractional prefixes? How to enter arabic letters? You must collect a lot of knowledge about all existing currencies to adapt the site to it. Otherwise the data base will get polluted by false entries. :roll:

(By the way for your deleting-postings-with-mentioned-competitors-action, there are at least 400 postings with discussions about eurotracer and myeuro, too. Perhaps you should include them. :wink: )
Thanks a ton for the comments made. W have just started this and one of the reasons for posting here is to improve. I have got lots of positive comments from lots of users and we have incorporated most of them.

I will be looking at each of the points u have mentioned above and start incorporating them as well.

Can there be the same serial for the same denomination of a currency? Is this possible....?
User avatar
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4318
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)
Contact:

Re: Currency Path

Post by androl »

bhoeyb wrote:
currencypath wrote:You can only see the serial of the notes you have entered. You cannot see the serials of the other members notes.
Yes, we can - :wink: -
[img with serial number of a known EBTer's note]
could this image just be deleted? I had posted a link to a South African note in the message above, where the whole serial is visible - so that no euro serial is visible here after the code is corrected on Currency Path.

Phaseolus wrote:[quoting bhoeyb with the image of the euro serial]

As I am in charge of the Cleaning Girls, I will make the following warning : don't come and complain if your name appears in the future linked with any funny faker. By that time, don't come and complain that you have been misused.

...
I am now looking forward in deleting any fake account/hits/bills that will be generated by this initiative.
what the heck makes you believe that any competitor site is going to generate fake accounts/hits/bills on EBT?
The discussion was about the deletion of the visible serial numbers on Currency Path, and the site admin was showing the will to cooperate.
Phaseolus wrote: Well this is indeed a forum for Eurobilltracker, so why should we allow any competitor in this forum.
Do you believe that McDonald's would like to support threads abot BurgerKing
I choose to go either to McD or to BK, afterwards I'm not hungry any more.
I will not choose to enter my notes either at EBT or at CP, and the EBTers that have followed the link to the CP site have quite surely already entered the notes, that they have entered there, also here at EBT.
Phaseolus wrote: It's my opinion and I am not changing it because you think differently.
I call this democracy...
opinions should be changeable by arguments. I call this discussion.
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
doiknow
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 4:04 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Re: Currency Path

Post by doiknow »

currencypath wrote:The reason why we promoted ourelves is so that users of the different sites can have an option of trying to enter other currencies as well as increase the chance of the notes getting found outside europe.
Well I think CP could get the tracking site for Sri Lanka or India or some other Asian countries. But as many Asians do not speak english (even those businessmen at trade fairs) you might think of a translation to whatever languages are common in Asia..
currencypath wrote: Think of CP as a supermarket..Where u can shop for eveything in one place...similarly you can enter all notes in one site!
I considder tracking to be science. Today tracking seems to be even more complicated than General Relativity (believe me, I know what I am speaking of). Hence it will get very hard to be good at every single currency out there. WG does Dollar research, EBT does some pooling research and ET does some serial array research,.... What about spreading word in Sri Lanka and getting a LKR expert site? Than, I'll surely track my Rupees there, if I ever get some :roll:
One Currency, one Union, one Eurobilltracker...
My dots are of the same order as 10.
Post Reply

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”