"Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Re: "Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Post by androl »

googlejaps wrote: No, that's not possible in EBT.
yes, it is, for the next few days while this is active:

http://miuku.net/tmp/first-europa-notes.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Ctrl+F+Taxi)
They are all new, correlative, VA** series, with numbers from 951* to 981*.
you should change it to this
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

JordiJanTaxi wrote:
googlejaps wrote:
JordiJanTaxi wrote: By the way: is there any way to see another user's list of registered banknotes?
I mean: could I see your list? (with hidden numbers, off course)
Could you see mine?
No, that's not possible in EBT.
Thank you.

Then, it is not possible anyone can see the photo and my list of banknotes.
Identification of "my" serial numbers remains idden.
I could see the notes entered from Spain and look for your entries. Or go to the Tables section and look into the V/V ones (but that seems to be empty right now), then filter the list to show only the spanish entries (by modifying the URL).
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

avij wrote:As it's perhaps a little bit difficult to spot the Europa banknotes from the stream of new note entries, this list (updated every minute) lists all the recently entered Europa banknotes.
I wonder why this French entry is not on the list. It was reported by opalon on the French forum as one of the new notes. (I understand the list has changed recently. It's not because of that. The user, R€NO974, is not on the list.)
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

lmviterbo wrote:
avij wrote:As it's perhaps a little bit difficult to spot the Europa banknotes from the stream of new note entries, this list (updated every minute) lists all the recently entered Europa banknotes.
I wonder why this French entry is not on the list. It was reported by opalon on the French forum as one of the new notes. (I understand the list has changed recently. It's not because of that. The user, R€NO974, is not on the list.)
Apparently there was an unwanted side effect of changing note entries -- changing a note changed its year to 2002. This problem has now been fixed, and the affected notes in the database have been updated to the correct year.
Last edited by avij on Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: s/note/year/
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

avij wrote:Apparently there was an unwanted side effect of changing note entries -- changing a note changed its note to 2002. This problem has now been fixed, and the affected notes in the database have been updated to the correct year.
Oh, so it was that problem. When dserrano mentioned it I got the impression that there were some Europa notes from 2002 (quoting him, "there are some Europas from 2013 and some others from 2002"), which would be rather weird. Thanks for the prompt answer as always.
thomas
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by thomas »

lmviterbo wrote:When dserrano mentioned it I got the impression that there were some Europa notes from 2002 (quoting him, "there are some Europas from 2013 and some others from 2002"), which would be rather weird.
All notes of Europa series (last year's 5's for circulation 2013 and this year's 10's for circulation 2014, and probably all other higher/later denominations as well) will have the copyright year "2013", like all notes of the 1. series have "2002".

The head letters of the serial numbers of Europa series are (the new 5's in bold):

D - Polska Wytwórnia Papierów Wartościowych, Warszawa
E - François Charles Oberthur Fiduciaire, Chantepie
H - De La Rue, Loughton
J - De La Rue, Gateshead
M - Valora, Carregado
N - Österreichische Banknoten und Sicherheitsdruck GmbH, Wien
P - Johan Enschedé en Zonen, Haarlem
R - Bundesdruckerei GmbH, Berlin
S - Banca d'Italia, Roma
T - Central Bank of Ireland, Dublin
U - Banque de France, Chamalières
V - Fábrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre, Madrid
W - Giesecke & Devrient GmbH, Leipzig
X - Giesecke & Devrient GmbH, München
Y - Bank of Greece, Athens
Z - Banque Nationale de Belgique, Bruxelles

Different from the 1. series where the head letter denotes the NCB which gave the printing order to any of the printing works, in the 2. series the head letter denotes the printing works listed above that prints the note (having received an order from any unknown NCB) and it is the same letter as the first letter of the small plate number.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

Europas are already crossing borders. This one flew from Italy to Barcelona, Spain.
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

Yeeeeeeee!
An italian couple paid the taxi run with this banknote just the three (3) hours after I had been for nearly one waiting to "buy" a bunch of notes in Banco de España (see my previous post with the photo of the 30 banknotes). Only I was not able to register it at EBT yesterday night.

MODERATION : Please do not publish full serial numbers on this forum

WARNING: Serialnumber is half clone of the other half.

Jordi
Last edited by JordiJanTaxi on Mon May 06, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tkontiok
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

So there are not country codes anymore?

Post by tkontiok »

Did I get this right, there is no coding for ordering country anymore? If so, the name Europa - series fits in nicely! On the other hand some countries (for example Finland) will not have “own” notes anymore!
thomas
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Re: So there are not country codes anymore?

Post by thomas »

tkontiok wrote:Did I get this right, there is no coding for ordering country anymore?
Yes, the letter now denotes the printer, not the responsible NCB.
tkontiok wrote:On the other hand some countries (for example Finland) will not have “own” notes anymore!
No - in a sense. Even in the 1st series, the NCB that ordered the printing of (say) a 20€ note: did it "own" the notes? No, notes always are owned by the ECB, and the NCB is just giving orders to print. Those 20€-notes might have been all put into circulation in any Euro-country, not necessarily in the country whose NCB ordered its printing (like, because they still had lots of 20's from earlier years). That is the nature of the pooling system. NCBs did not print a note because it was needed domestically, but because they were assigned to order the printing of a given amount of notes depending on the stake they have in the ECB (lke 30% of the Bundesbank, with the effect that about 30% of all euro notes bore the letter "X").- The only "exception" was the frontloading phase (2001/2002), when all NCB's basically printed all denominations to put into domestic circulation - with the well known exceptions we talked about a lot 10 years ago :)

As far as I know, this pooling system is completely unchanged with the 2nd series: An NCB orders some amount of banknotes (from printing works whose letters appear in the serial number from now on) and lets them ship to countries where the notes are needed. Only that we don't know which NCB orders which note.

The only hint so far is on the ECB web site (http://www.ecb.int/stats/euro/productio ... ex.en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), where in the "Banknotes" table under "NCBs commissioning production" the NCBs are listed. But that might change in the future ...
tkontiok
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

From the collectors point of view..

Post by tkontiok »

..this is not-so-good news. Despite the facts you listed, many collectors considered T notes as irish, X notes as german, L notes as finnish ect. Now you don´t have any identity in the notes and I´m afraid that the collecting community may react negatively in this change.
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: From the collectors point of view..

Post by Craft »

tkontiok wrote:..this is not-so-good news. Despite the facts you listed, many collectors considered T notes as irish, X notes as german, L notes as finnish ect. Now you don´t have any identity in the notes and I´m afraid that the collecting community may react negatively in this change.
Hmm, I'm not so sure... The first letter was actually already only a virtual sign of a country, and an L note (just as an exaple) didn't necessarily ever visit Finland during its "life"time. In such a case, Finland was its fake home only. The real home was its printing place. Another home was the country where it was put into circulation, but that was not printed to either printer code or serial number. Now the first letter of both codes will mean the printing place and shows the note's real home. I'm actually glad that the "fake home" is not shown any more. Collectors will still be able to collect notes by first letters, though the variety of printer code / serial number combinations of course drops significantly.
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

Hmmmmm... not necessarily accurated. The largest banknote user, Germany, has not printed any Europabill yet, and from the list of the first ones registered, like 95% of the bills registered there were "V"
jrnsndrs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by jrnsndrs »

thomas wrote:(...)
H - De La Rue, Loughton
J - De La Rue, Gateshead
M - Valora, Carregado
S - Banca d'Italia, Roma

(...)
So if I get it right these are the new printer-ID's and they appear in the shortcode and the serial number.
And only the bold ones have been seen so far (but who knows what will come)
"of all wars, religious wars are the most detestable, since they are waged for no tangible gain, but only to impose a set of arbitrary credos on another."
--- Unspiek baron Bodissey.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

jrnsndrs wrote:
thomas wrote:(...)
H - De La Rue, Loughton
J - De La Rue, Gateshead
M - Valora, Carregado
S - Banca d'Italia, Roma

(...)
So if I get it right these are the new printer-ID's and they appear in the shortcode and the serial number.
And only the bold ones have been seen so far (but who knows what will come)
No. That's not accurate. The bold ones are the ones printed. Have a look to 2012 production:

http://www.ecb.int/stats/euro/productio ... ex.en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only Belgium, Spain, France, Italy and Austria have printed Europafivers.

And if you have a look at the first days registered notes list,

http://miuku.net/tmp/first-europa-notes.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you'll see that 3.600 registerd in Germany were "V" notes, so I understand the ones put into circulation there.

Next year we could have Europateeners and Europatwentiers, from many othr cuntries. (4.5 and 2.5 billion). See 2013 productions.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”