Where do you go this summer...?

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

Where are you this summer...?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:40 pm

I don't go on vacation
4
11%
I will stay in my own country
8
22%
I will be in Europe
22
59%
I will be in North-America
1
3%
I will be in South-America
1
3%
I will be in Africa
1
3%
I will be in Asia
0
No votes
I will be in the pacific (including Australia and New Zeeland)
0
No votes
I will be somewhere else!
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 37

User avatar
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

Post by airis »

I think in Southern Finland mosquitoes are not a big problem and some areas are mosquito free. And in towns there are hardly any mosquitoes. :)
In May there are not any mosquitoes, but it is not so warm in Lapland.
In early June it is mosquito free and it can be warm too. And you can see the midnight sun. But in some years it has snowed in early June. Every year is different. In southern Finland it is summer.
So end of May and early June are springtime and mosquito free in Lapland.

In late August and early September it is also mosquito free. It is autumn and no more midnight sun. In September it is also time for autumn colors.
In Lapland it is not so warm anymore.

I quote: "From the end of June to August there are quite a lot of mosquitoes in Lapland...
But it's only a question of attitude to enjoy the Lappish summer! "

So please, don´t let the mosquitoes decide. I´ve survived here. :wink: I prefer June and July, because it is summer.

And if you are hiking, fishing, use some mosquito repellent (OFF is good). There are a lot of other products (hats etc) in shops.

BTW Last summer was very dry and almost mosquito free.

See what others say?
beezzzt
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:58 am
Location: Belgium, Scherpenheuvel

Post by beezzzt »

Austria - Hiking in the mountains for a week or two ! :D
Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years.
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

airis wrote: I think in Southern Finland mosquitoes are not a big problem ...
Thanks, Airis, for the detailed information! So, though my skin is pretty popular among those little vamps, I will soon say: Finland, here I come! Probably not this year (I'm too occupied by my new work), but maybe next year 8)
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

yeah me too !!

I think the euro is a big advantage for Finland!
All of a sudden, a lot of people travel there, I think more than before.
Before the euro, you could chose between the scandinavian countries, but now it's easier and more convenient for people from other euro-countries to go to Finland!
So I think more people will chose for Finland, than for Sweden or Norway...
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Post by Skylimit »

airis wrote:I think in Southern Finland mosquitoes are not a big problem and some areas are mosquito free. And in towns there are hardly any mosquitoes. :)
In May there are not any mosquitoes, but it is not so warm in Lapland.
In early June it is mosquito free and it can be warm too. And you can see the midnight sun. But in some years it has snowed in early June. Every year is different. In southern Finland it is summer.
So end of May and early June are springtime and mosquito free in Lapland.

In late August and early September it is also mosquito free. It is autumn and no more midnight sun. In September it is also time for autumn colors.
In Lapland it is not so warm anymore.

I quote: "From the end of June to August there are quite a lot of mosquitoes in Lapland...
But it's only a question of attitude to enjoy the Lappish summer! "

So please, don´t let the mosquitoes decide. I´ve survived here. :wink: I prefer June and July, because it is summer.

And if you are hiking, fishing, use some mosquito repellent (OFF is good). There are a lot of other products (hats etc) in shops.

BTW Last summer was very dry and almost mosquito free.

See what others say?
Is Finland a place where you would go during summer holidays with two kids (4 an 6) Does it rain all the time, or not at all. Do we need to bring something to keep us warm ? Finland does attrackt me ... but what about the weather ? Is it risky ?
Time is on our side ...
User avatar
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:02 pm
Location: Geilenkirchen

Post by Donald »

Skylimit wrote:Is Finland a place where you would go during summer holidays with two kids (4 an 6) Does it rain all the time, or not at all. Do we need to bring something to keep us warm ? Finland does attrackt me ... but what about the weather ? Is it risky ?
Finland has many places where you can get the impression that you are far from civilization. No traffic, no other people to see around. Still you may have electricity in your cottage and carburants for your sauna. I think there is not much risk for kids to get hurt. You just have to take care that they don't drown in the lake or fall from a tree.
"Finland is the capital city of Norway" (Quote from the movie "Earth Girls are Easy"). Norway with its mountains gets most of the rain that comes with westwinds. This provides dry summers in Finland and Sweden. Of course it rains once in a while even in Finland. The temperatures in July and August can sink to 15°C and (rarely) even below. Mostly there are daily maxímum temperatures of 20-25°C. 30°C and more are not impossible but rare.
User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Post by Skylimit »

Donald wrote: Finland has many places where you can get the impression that you are far from civilization. No traffic, no other people to see around. Still you may have electricity in your cottage and carburants for your sauna. I think there is not much risk for kids to get hurt. You just have to take care that they don't drown in the lake or fall from a tree.
"Finland is the capital city of Norway" (Quote from the movie "Earth Girls are Easy"). Norway with its mountains gets most of the rain that comes with westwinds. This provides dry summers in Finland and Sweden. Of course it rains once in a while even in Finland. The temperatures in July and August can sink to 15°C and (rarely) even below. Mostly there are daily maxímum temperatures of 20-25°C. 30°C and more are not impossible but rare.
Sounds nice ... I guess Finland is expensive, istn't it, compared to hotels
in Austria during summer ?
Do we pay extra for kids under 12 years old in hotels ?

The routeplanner says you can drive from Hamburg to Helsinki ??
Is this correct ?
Time is on our side ...
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

Isn't there a ferry-boat from Copenhaegen to Helsinki ?
Or from Copenhaegen to Stockholm, and then from there to Helsinki?
I think you can get there by car easily!

Or you could go through Germany, Poland, then to the north, through Russia, and then finally you get in Finland.
But I think that trip is more than 5.000km :)
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:02 pm
Location: Geilenkirchen

Post by Donald »

Finland is like Rome. Many ways lead there.
You can take the new bridge over the Sound and drive along the coast of the Baltic Sea. You can take ferries from Travemünde to Helsinki (Finnjet) or from Travemünde to Trelleborg. There are ferries from Stockholm to Turku or to Helsinki. There also connections from Stralsund to Sweden and Finland.
It depends on your preferences and your budget what you choose. You also can choose for daytime and nighttime ferries. I like the scenery on the trip between Stockholm and Turku. You are crossing the Baltic Sea, but you see land (islands) all the time.
User avatar
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

Post by airis »

Donald wrote: I like the scenery on the trip between Stockholm and Turku. You are crossing the Baltic Sea, but you see land (islands) all the time.
Yes, it is a beautiful and the ships are great.
Some ferry companies: http://www.vikingline.fi/index.asp?lang=en
http://www.silja.com/english/
from Germany: http://www.superfast.com/Baltic/English/index.asp
User avatar
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:02 pm
Location: Geilenkirchen

Post by Donald »

Skylimit wrote:I guess Finland is expensive, istn't it, compared to hotels in Austria during summer ?
Do we pay extra for kids under 12 years old in hotels ?
If you want it cheap, but in Euroland, you must go to Germany. Finland is relatively expensive. Concerning hotels, there are some agglomerations of hotels who issue vouchers. You pay the vouchers at home and pay in any hotel of the group, who have issued the vouchers, with them. You save up to 30% in this way. Ask your local travel agency.
User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Post by Skylimit »

Donald wrote:I like the scenery on the trip between Stockholm and Turku. You are crossing the Baltic Sea, but you see land (islands) all the time.
Is that a long trip ?
Time is on our side ...
User avatar
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4270
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
Location: Herentals - Belgium
Contact:

Post by bhoeyb »

airis wrote:In late August and early September it is also mosquito free. It is autumn and no more midnight sun. In September it is also time for autumn colors.
In Lapland it is not so warm anymore.
That's right. I've been there at the begin of September 2002. In the summer, there are more mosquitoes in my bedroom in Belgium than I've seen in whole Finland!
The temperature is OK. It was like a "soft" winter in Belgium but almost no rain :D .
Tiger wrote:I think the euro is a big advantage for Finland!
All of a sudden, a lot of people travel there, I think more than before.
Before the euro, you could chose between the scandinavian countries, but now it's easier and more convenient for people from other euro-countries to go to Finland!
So I think more people will chose for Finland, than for Sweden or Norway...
That sure is ... even my parents are planning to go to Finland this summer.

Anyway, I can recommend Finland to everybody. It's such a relaxing country ... hmmm ...
In the futur, I'll visit it more!

BTW, Finland is the cheapest in Scandinavia.
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

-------- Travemünde - Helsinki sounded very attractive to me, so I quickly did a little research on the Internet:

FERRY: The ferry Travemünde - Helsinki is operated by Finnlines, but, whatever scenic such a ride may be, takes an annoying 37 hours and prices are from 300-500 euros in low season, which sounds like a rape to me.

CAR: There's a driving route from Hamburg to Helsinki, that's true, but it's far: Hamburg to Malmö across the two new bridges (with high tolls charged), then in the North around the huge finger of the Baltic sea.
Image Image

AIR: There are flights to Turku with Ryanair via Stockholm for only about 40 euros plus tax, but with an 11-hours break in Stockholm Skavsta on either way. Skavsta is a 2-hours bus ride from Stockholm (most Ryanair airports are far away from the cities). Nonstop Flights from Germany to Helsinki are about 240 euros includung tax and seem to be a good and hassle-free option compared with all the other ones.

edit: All those options are probably comparable for other departure points in Europe...
Last edited by micro on Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

Going with your own car seems fun, but I don't even know how to drive yet ! :D
If I'm going to Finland this summer, I think it'll be by airplane.
Just Brussels-Helsinki, I'll see what airline is best.

Is Finnair expensive ?
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”