Game of 4 4's
Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer
Oh, don't worry, this is just a gamegolfinha wrote:ok, sorry
Your solution is right too (and simpler), there are many ways to form some of the numbers.
Now on to 25...
I found
25 = 4! + (sqrt4 + sqrt4)/4
but maybe there's a simpler way
Edit: Oh, lazza below found it first
Last edited by Craft on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Your calculation is correct, BUT:lazza wrote:35 = (((4-i^4)!)^sqrt4) - i^4 I think
the complex unit i is a number, not a mathematical operator or function, and so it can't be used (using it is the same as using any other number than 4).
You can of course use i if you write it with 4's, like sqrt(-4/4), but it takes two of the four available 4's.
Another thing:
There is a possibility: you could use function Int or Fix, which truncate positive real numbers to the nearest smaller integer:lazza wrote:can't seem to do 31 properly...
(4 x (4+4)) - cos4 = 31.002435
Int((4 x (4+4)) - cos4) = 31
But I'd consider using Int or Fix sort of cheating, so it's better not to use them here
I haven't found a way to calculate 31, either...
Last edited by Craft on Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
