new option added to the user profile

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus

User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by avij »

Tiger wrote:I don't know how this could have happened....
Trust me, it's all your fault :wink: Computers don't lie..
If you're convinced that it's not your fault, you can send me your database and I'll compare the data with EBT data. Or do it yourself with the CSV export feature mentioned before.
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Re: new option added to the user profile

Post by avij »

emmem wrote:Maybe we can let the users decide in their user profile. Something like

Hide my value statistics to other users

The default value should be set to on.
Fons on the Dutch forum wrote:But maybe we should make a sort of poll where users can say if they want to make their statistics free to see to other users.
This idea has been floating around for some time now but I'm currently against this approach, even though I myself may have hinted earlier to do it this way.

If there was this kind of optional feature, quite a lot of users would most probably turn it on to let other people view their statistics. "I don't care if the whole world knows that I have entered 10 5€ notes, 5 10€ notes and 3 20€ notes." However, some people have entered massively more notes and more valuable notes than those, and they may not want others to know that they're handling that much money. At least it might be some kind of a security risk for them.

Now, you may wonder why they simply don't turn that feature off if they're that concerned? Consider, for example, if only a few people on the Top10 list had this feature turned off, wouldn't that cause a feeling that they're hiding something? This would most probably generate an uneasy feeling for that particular person.

So, my current stand on this issue is that there's not going to be a public (even optional) information about some user's sum of note values. EBTers privacy concerns come first, I hope you understand this. If you want to make your stats public, you can always post them here. This new feature makes such stats just easier to generate, it has been possible to generate such stats (for yourself) earlier by exporting the note data to CSV. The difference is that it's not possible to export other users' note data to CSV and thus it's not possible to generate such a note value breakdown for other users.

Now excuse me, I need to go and watch Alias.
User avatar
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14790
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: new option added to the user profile

Post by Fons »

avij wrote:
emmem wrote:Maybe we can let the users decide in their user profile. Something like

Hide my value statistics to other users

The default value should be set to on.
Fons on the Dutch forum wrote:But maybe we should make a sort of poll where users can say if they want to make their statistics free to see to other users.
This idea has been floating around for some time now but I'm currently against this approach, even though I myself may have hinted earlier to do it this way.

If there was this kind of optional feature, quite a lot of users would most probably turn it on to let other people view their statistics. "I don't care if the whole world knows that I have entered 10 5€ notes, 5 10€ notes and 3 20€ notes." However, some people have entered massively more notes and more valuable notes than those, and they may not want others to know that they're handling that much money. At least it might be some kind of a security risk for them.

Now, you may wonder why they simply don't turn that feature off if they're that concerned? Consider, for example, if only a few people on the Top10 list had this feature turned off, wouldn't that cause a feeling that they're hiding something? This would most probably generate an uneasy feeling for that particular person.

So, my current stand on this issue is that there's not going to be a public (even optional) information about some user's sum of note values. EBTers privacy concerns come first, I hope you understand this. If you want to make your stats public, you can always post them here. This new feature makes such stats just easier to generate, it has been possible to generate such stats (for yourself) earlier by exporting the note data to CSV. The difference is that it's not possible to export other users' note data to CSV and thus it's not possible to generate such a note value breakdown for other users.

Now excuse me, I need to go and watch Alias.
I don't get it.
Why should people don't like that other users can see how many notes from 100, 200 and 500 they entered :?: :? :?
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

avij wrote:
Tiger wrote:I don't know how this could have happened....
Trust me, it's all your fault :wink: Computers don't lie..
If you're convinced that it's not your fault, you can send me your database and I'll compare the data with EBT data. Or do it yourself with the CSV export feature mentioned before.
I know :)
I checked the distribution of my denominations, and indeed, my own database has 1 note of 20EUR more than EBT, and 1 note of 50 EUR less...

I think I now remember I once indicated the wrong value, when I still had to copy/paste every note individually.
But it never got corrected :(
And now I don't know what note it is, I've got about 3650 and I really don't feel like comparing the 2 databases. :)
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Re: new option added to the user profile

Post by avij »

Fons wrote:I don't get it. Why should people don't like that other users can see how many notes from 100, 200 and 500 they entered :?: :? :?
Well, they do have their reasons, and I really don't want to go into details. And anything that discourages people to enter their notes into EBT is a bad thing, so as a result, I won't be adding such features to EBT. On the other hand if Philippe, our beloved busy webmaster wants to add such a feature, I won't be stopping him. He's still the boss in here.

Note: if some of you have opinions about this (in either direction) and don't want to discuss those reasons publicly on the forums, feel free to send me a private message about your concerns.
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

I think you're right avij, expecially people with lots of 200 and 500 EUR notes maybe wouldn't like it if everyone could see how much money they have/earn/handle/...
I myself don't really care if people see that I've got some high denomination notes registered at EBT, but I can believe some people just wouldn't like it or feel uncomfortable about it...
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
Marrokina
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 2:10 am

Re: new option added to the user profile

Post by Marrokina »

Fons wrote: I don't get it.
Why should people don't like that other users can see how many notes from 100, 200 and 500 they entered :?: :? :?
Unfortunately nor everybody has the same honesty that you show. When someone deals with large sums of money, it doesn't feel very comfortable to have the rest of the world knowing it... :mrgreen: Some people might have more obscure interests in that than just simple curiosity... :)
wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 12:23 pm
Location: Meppel, Drenthe, NL

Re: new option added to the user profile

Post by wouter »

Marrokina wrote: Unfortunately nor everybody has the same honesty that you show. When someone deals with large sums of money, it doesn't feel very comfortable to have the rest of the world knowing it... :mrgreen: Some people might have more obscure interests in that than just simple curiosity... :)
You're completely right Marrokinka :) . For me, my average is less then 10 euro / note. And most of the time I don't have more then 30 € with me so I don't care but I can understand if people do care!
The Force is like Duck-tape, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.
Post Reply

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”